Daunte Wright Shooting

T&C

1 hour ago, Tiberius said:

Go farther than tha. Look at how blacks are arrested, incarcerated and have records for drug crimes than whites. It's not just the shootings, its everything. But hey, pass it off as an emotional hissy fit, sure. 

16 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

And what does any of that have to do with this incident? Answer: NOTHING!

Link to FBI statistics for 2018 arrests by racial classification.

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2018/crime-in-the-u.s.-2018/topic-pages/tables/table-43

10 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

Link to FBI statistics for 2018 arrests by racial classification.

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2018/crime-in-the-u.s.-2018/topic-pages/tables/table-43

Of course the problem with quoting general statistics is that it doesn't take into account each individual incident, like the one we all just witnessed from the body-cam and we're all talking about here.  That poor kid would be alive today, doing whatever he would normally be doing, if he had just complied with the peaceful and professional commands of the Police Officers.  It isn't hard. Enough of this nonsense! 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SoTier said:

BINGO!!!   The three cases in Wisconsin in the last year (Floyd in Minneapolis, Blake in Kenosha, Wright in Brooklyn Center) were NOT LEOs confronting armed men fleeing a shooting or something.   Blake and Wright were traffic stops and Floyd was stopped because of a complaint about a counterfeit twenty dollar bill.  In Virginia, Army LT Caron Nazario was threatened and pepper sprayed in a traffic stop.   Those are just some of high profile cases in the last year.

Police are NOT treating white Americans the same way as they treat black Americans in traffic stops.  That's the striking thing about these incidents in the last year.  The incidents -- and the others that happened just in the last year that I haven't mentioned -- have all stemmed from traffic stops or petty crimes that the police escalated when they had other options. 

No amount of "liberal media bias" could possibly suppress news about the police regularly confronting white men during traffic stops with the excessive and too often deadly force that they confront black men.   White people wouldn't stand for it.  White politicians wouldn't stand for it.  

Do you remember the names of any of the hundreds of Caucasians shot by Police last year ? Hispanics ? I didn’t think so because they are almost never publicized unless it’s around a lib narrative such as “ gun control”. Some folks comply better than others, or don’t make sudden movements etc. Cops today have to assume a suspect is armed, so compliance is key. Cherry picked examples and a huge lib narrative have so many folks fooled into an uproar. Wouldn’t it be great if people were so concerned about the violent crimes that happen every single day in cities across the nation? If they spoke out against criminals ? In recent times we have seen small children killed by gunfire while sitting on the porch of a grandparents home, and a high school graduate gunned down in cold blood. Probably by someone he knew or was familiar with. That’s just in Chicago, and similar things happen daily. Folks go on their merry way, ignorant of reality. If a Cop has to discharge their weapon though, it’s “ outrageous” even when the details come out and it was a justified shoot. Occasionally , it is not. We have a legal system for that. Sad , sad state of American ignorance. 

13 hours ago, Backintheday544 said:

Okay! Great so we start with you not knowing stats based on this comment since you don’t know what per capita means. Thank you for demonstrating your ignorance. That’s a brave choice. Bravo!

So per capita means per person. So in the prior discussion we looked at welfare dollars per person.

This looks at shootings per race.

To make this easier to understand, you have a deck of 52 cards. 26 red and 26 black. If you pick a card you have a 50 percent chance of of getting black or red. Over a large enough sample (like say if every cop in the US picked a card, you’d expect 50 percent red and 50 percent black).

However, when these cops actually pull a card over a large sample, we find they pull a black card 2.6 times more than than they do a red card. Now if you were a critical thinker, you’d say hey wait that doesn’t make sense, we have an even population yet we’re pulling the black card at a higher frequency than the red card. Why is that?

Now to apply that to race in the US. White to black isn’t a 50/50 distribution. So we wouldn’t expect to sample US police shootings and see a 50/50 break down. We should expect to see a breakdown similar to population. But we don’t. We see a breakdown that skews more non-white than white based on population than we should see.

So I applaud you for acknowledging you don’t know statistics. I acknowledge this is a really quick example of how they would, so if my fellow posters see flaws in the analysis feel free to point them out so we can help educate Blitz!. So, maybe check out an online class and you can learn a little more than I can post in a quick post!

Mr. Statsman, can you give me the figures of violent crime and robbery broken down by race?

2 hours ago, Tiberius said:

So its ok if cops just execute anyone that runs? 

Where was this implied? It's common sense. Should he have been shot? No. Could he have helped the situation by complying? Yes.

Scum like Rashida Tlaib declaring this was an intentional shooting just to raise the tension in the country (and other countries, too) when it clearly was an accident/case of police incompetence is absolutely despicable.

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Boxcar said:

Where was this implied? It's common sense. Should he have been shot? No. Could he have helped the situation by complying? Yes.

Scum like Rashida Tlaib declaring this was an intentional shooting just to raise the tension in the country (and other countries, too) when it clearly was an accident/case of police incompetence is absolutely despicable.

Exactly. Sadly, common sense isn’t found in Tibs. Oh well. This was clearly a tragic error by the Officer involved, she meant to tase the individual. She will be found liable on several levels. He shouldn’t have attempted to flee ( he’d still be alive today) but he didn’t deserve to die for his actions either. See, common sense. It’s become rare in America today. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

There's a lack of trust. Most people on this board either lived through the Civil Rights movement or their parents did. It wasn't very long ago black people were targets. There is a trauma there. It's not something you can just say forget about. 

There is systemic racism that is slowly dying off, very slowly. The rise of social media has added gasoline to the issues that remain. It's going to take generations to die off before black people can trust those in law enforcement. 

This is all true.  

It's almost impossible for me to try to make clear to people when discussing police brutality that I understand and respect the history of the Black community and law enforcement.  You really can't because it almost makes you sound racist.  

I've had to explain this to my kids as they've seen events in this country play out since last summer.  They have questions.  There is a way to educate this on this history and not indict an entire country as inherently racist; flawed yes.  Perfect no.  But we're the greatest country on earth.  Until 2020 shamdemic.  Then we ruined it.  

But anyway, anyone that doesn't understand or isn't sure what that history is please read as much as you can about it so you don't come across as insensitive, racist, or ignorant if you want to have a constructive conversation.

My solutions to the problems are simple.  Elementary schools need to find a way to make it a priority to hire black males.  Period.  The data is clear.  Single family homes with the father often completely absent has obviously impacted all society but it has been extremely detrimental to the Black community. 

Black boys do not relate to the White guilt lib female teacher and she can't relate to them.  Make no mistake there are exceptions.  

Every single female Elementary teacher that was out there with BLM should resign and let a Black male do their job if they truly want to make a difference.  

This is the only job in America where the proportion is grossly out of whack and its destroying society.   

https://hechingerreport.org/student-voice-black-boys-need-the-guidance-and-mentorship-of-black-male-teachers/

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Boxcar said:

It would be great if everyone just did the right thing. But then misunderstandings would still happen 

26 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Exactly. Sadly, common sense isn’t found in Tibs. Oh well. This was clearly a tragic error by the Officer involved, she meant to tase the individual. She will be found liable on several levels. He shouldn’t have attempted to flee ( he’d still be alive today) but he didn’t deserve to die for his actions either. See, common sense. It’s become rare in America today. 

Oh boo. See, its this type of attitude that has corroded society 

FTA:

The facts right now appear to indicate that the shooting was a tragic mistake with Daunte Wright being shot while fleeing arrest, when the officer who shot him thinking she was pulling a taser, but then using her firearm. That was what the police chief said and the video evidence so far seems to support that claim.

The mayor immediately wanted to fire the officer, but the city manager Curt Boganey said that they had to afford her due process. So the city council fired the city manager and made the mayor in charge of the police department. City Council member Kris Lawrence-Anderson admitted that Boganey was doing a great job but she voted to fire the city manager because she was afraid of “repercussions on a personal level” (translation: she thought the rioters would come to her home).

The mayor also said that he thought that cops didn’t need guns all the time when they made traffic cops, that somehow they should just know when they might need them. The city council also passed a resolution against using crowd control measures including tear gas, rubber bullets or kettling. So that city is clearly going to get lit up.

It’s been a complete mess and there aren’t a lot of people who have performed well in this case.

Except the city manager.

{snip}

Boganey stood, despite the pressure from the mayor and despite the pressure from the activists, because it was the right thing to do. He lost his job over standing up for that right, for due process.

“I lost my job, but I still have my integrity,” former City Manager Curt Boganey told Fox News in a statement, Tucker Carlson revealed on his Tuesday night show. They invited him to be on air but he turned it down because he was “hesitant about making any media appearances,” the Daily Caller said. That makes me think all the more of him.

If we’re not standing for that concept, what are we about anymore as a country?

https://redstate.com/nick-arama/2021/04/14/brooklyn-center-city-manager-fired-for-calling-for-due-process-speaks-out-n360761

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

It would be great if everyone just did the right thing. But then misunderstandings would still happen 

Oh boo. See, its this type of attitude that has corroded society 

Yes lack of common sense has corroded society.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, SoTier said:

BINGO!!!   The three cases in Wisconsin in the last year (Floyd in Minneapolis, Blake in Kenosha, Wright in Brooklyn Center) were NOT LEOs confronting armed men fleeing a shooting or something.   Blake and Wright were traffic stops and Floyd was stopped because of a complaint about a counterfeit twenty dollar bill.  In Virginia, Army LT Caron Nazario was threatened and pepper sprayed in a traffic stop.   Those are just some of high profile cases in the last year.

Police are NOT treating white Americans the same way as they treat black Americans in traffic stops.  That's the striking thing about these incidents in the last year.  The incidents -- and the others that happened just in the last year that I haven't mentioned -- have all stemmed from traffic stops or petty crimes that the police escalated when they had other options. 

No amount of "liberal media bias" could possibly suppress news about the police regularly confronting white men during traffic stops with the excessive and too often deadly force that they confront black men.   White people wouldn't stand for it.  White politicians wouldn't stand for it.  

600 or 700 people per year that aren’t identified as African American are killed by police every year. That’s 2-3x. You’re saying those are all justified otherwise we would have heard about them, right? 

You’re  saying none of those were escalated from broken tail lights, or unarmed people, resisting arrest or no knock SWAT raids? 

27 minutes ago, B-Man said:

FTA:

The facts right now appear to indicate that the shooting was a tragic mistake with Daunte Wright being shot while fleeing arrest, when the officer who shot him thinking she was pulling a taser, but then using her firearm. That was what the police chief said and the video evidence so far seems to support that claim.

The mayor immediately wanted to fire the officer, but the city manager Curt Boganey said that they had to afford her due process. So the city council fired the city manager and made the mayor in charge of the police department. City Council member Kris Lawrence-Anderson admitted that Boganey was doing a great job but she voted to fire the city manager because she was afraid of “repercussions on a personal level” (translation: she thought the rioters would come to her home).

The mayor also said that he thought that cops didn’t need guns all the time when they made traffic cops, that somehow they should just know when they might need them. The city council also passed a resolution against using crowd control measures including tear gas, rubber bullets or kettling. So that city is clearly going to get lit up.

It’s been a complete mess and there aren’t a lot of people who have performed well in this case.

Except the city manager.

{snip}

Boganey stood, despite the pressure from the mayor and despite the pressure from the activists, because it was the right thing to do. He lost his job over standing up for that right, for due process.

“I lost my job, but I still have my integrity,” former City Manager Curt Boganey told Fox News in a statement, Tucker Carlson revealed on his Tuesday night show. They invited him to be on air but he turned it down because he was “hesitant about making any media appearances,” the Daily Caller said. That makes me think all the more of him.

If we’re not standing for that concept, what are we about anymore as a country?

https://redstate.com/nick-arama/2021/04/14/brooklyn-center-city-manager-fired-for-calling-for-due-process-speaks-out-n360761

Where is @BillStime he gets extremely upset over power transfers in State Government that lead to authoritarian like policies and less Democracy.  

Really going to need his thoughts on this one.  

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I see that the ex officer who shot him has been charged with 2nd degree manslaughter. They mentioned that it carries up to a 10 year sentence Or a $20,000 fine. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Here’s something I don’t understand.

I don’t understand how 99% of people don’t agree that A. She shouldn’t have shot him with her gun and B. He shouldn’t have run from police.

If A. hadn't happened, he’d be alive. If B. hadn’t happened, he’d be alive. 

So I pose this question to you all. Does anyone disagree with either of these two statements? Can we find a true TBD middle ground in this day and age?

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I don’t understand how 99% of people don’t agree that A. She shouldn’t have shot him with her gun and B. He shouldn’t have run from police.

So I pose this question to you all. Does anyone disagree with either of these two statements? Can we find a true TBD middle ground in this day and age?

You see, it’s gotta be exclusively B or A otherwise the respective narratives aren’t fulfilled. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

There are two sides to this coin when it comes to police encounters.  People, including whites, that engage in confrontations with the police during encounters or traffic stops suffer the same fate.  Maybe people that cooperate with the police when they get stopped, don't engage in physical confrontations, and don't have outstanding arrest warrants don't end up getting injured or shot.   Maybe we should consider the concept of assigning some responsibility to the suspect rather than the innocent victim model which has become the popular view?  I've been stopped by the cops about a dozen times in my life and my first thought is to make sure I come out of it alive. 

If you want to suggest we can ever develop some kind of policing model where the margin of error in the population of all traffic stops is zero then that's not possible.  No system or process has a zero error rate.  Anywhere.

When has a cop stopped you for an illegal left hand turn or a burned out tail light and demanded that you get out of your vehicle at gunpoint?  

It happens to black men too frequently, and it never happens to white men.  If it did, FAUX NEWS and other Right Wing news outlets would be all over it and you know damn well that that's true.

PS .  Having an outstanding warrant or multiple ones is not a capital offense in any state in the US.

1 hour ago, T&C said:

I see that the ex officer who shot him has been charged with 2nd degree manslaughter. They mentioned that it carries up to a 10 year sentence Or a $20,000 fine. 

From what I understand about Minnesota law, this sounds about right. She was definitely negligent. 10 years is on the extreme end and I would hope she doesn’t get that. The video speaks to a lower number imo. 

24 minutes ago, SoTier said:

When has a cop stopped you for an illegal left hand turn or a burned out tail light and demanded that you get out of your vehicle at gunpoint?  

It happens to black men too frequently, and it never happens to white men.  If it did, FAUX NEWS and other Right Wing news outlets would be all over it and you know damn well that that's true.

PS .  Having an outstanding warrant or multiple ones is not a capital offense in any state in the US.

Having an outstanding warrant for an illegal handgun would lead to such a situation, though. Never happens ? You are woke beyond repair. Racism at every turn is all you see. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

From what I understand about Minnesota law, this sounds about right. She was definitely negligent. 10 years is on the extreme end and I would hope she doesn’t get that. The video speaks to a lower number imo. 

Do you think they will put her in general population? Or will she be in one of those special white people prisons with a pool? 

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

I agree with both your statements. This is because it’s the truth. Truth has all too often become irrelevant.

Just now, TSOL said:

Do you think they will put her in general population? Or will she be in one of those special white people prisons with a pool? 

She’s an ex cop, so if she gets jail time, she should absolutely not be in general pop and she won’t be. She doesn’t deserve to be physically harmed for her error., and putting her in general pop would all but guarantee this.