Daunte Wright Shooting

T&C

11 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Just added some other points to my previous response thru an edit. Read it if you wish. Your statement has zero basis in reality, the numbers don’t back it up in any way. You’ve fallen victim to radical hyperbolic sensationalists. Or you’ve listened to “ sympathy for the devil” too many times in a row. 

How do you suppose all this heroine and illegal guns get into our country in the first place? 

You're aware of our long standing "guns for dope" program in afghanistan right? 

I'll look for a link for you 

Go ahead and laugh that off and show everybody your naivete 

Edited by TSOL

2 hours ago, Motorin' said:

She was clearly suffering from some form of mental illness that drove her to climb through a broken window into the inner Capitol chamber while federal agents pointed guns at her ordering her not to come through... And that's how ti works, right? Police don't kill people, people kill themselves?

So by the same token anyone who is confronted by the police, ignores orders and acts threateningly has mental illness?  And that is the cause of his/her death?

Edited by Doc

43 minutes ago, Doc said:

So by the same token anyone who is confronted by the police, ignores orders and acts threateningly has mental illness?  And that is the cause of his/her death?

I'm pretty sure that mental illness and/or emotional instability was a driving factor that motivated many of the people who stormed the Capitol. As it probably was with many of the people who burned buildings to the ground during the BLM protests.

I went on to clarify that no, I don't believe mental illness was the cause of death.

While a bullet to the chest is quicker and clearer than a knee to the neck, it is a similarly absurd argument as saying the cause of death in George Floyd's case was his pre-exisitng heart condition and substance abuse and not the knee to his neck for almost 10 mins. 

Edited by Motorin'

8 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

I'm pretty sure that mental illness and/or emotional instability was a driving factor that motivated many of the people who stormed the Capitol. As it probably was with many of the people who burned buildings to the ground during the BLM protests.

I went on to clarify that no, I don't believe mental illness was the cause of death.

While a bullet to the chest is quicker and clearer than a knee to the neck, it is a similarly absurd argument as saying the cause of death in George Floyd's case was his pre-exisitng heart condition and substance abuse and not the knee to his neck for almost 10 mins. 

It's not absurd at all. Opioid abuse is not considered an epidemic for the f*&^ of it.

34 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

OK. Do you think that George Floyd or Daunte Wright were suffering from mental illness?

Edited by Doc

Sorry if this has been said, but one thing to consider is the following.  

When cops pull out their taser, they pull the trigger once.  It's a one-use device until reloaded.  

When cops pull out their handgun, they pull the trigger multiple times.  It's part of their training to shoot until the suspect is down.  In some cases, they can't even recall how many times they fired because of the adrenaline of the moment.  

To the best of my knowledge, this officer fired a single shot.  That supports the notion that she believed she was pulling out her taser.  

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Capco said:

When cops pull out their taser, they pull the trigger once.  It's a one-use device until reloaded.  

When cops pull out their handgun, they pull the trigger multiple times.  It's part of their training to shoot until the suspect is down.  In some cases, they can't even recall how many times they fired because of the adrenaline of the moment.  

To the best of my knowledge, this officer fired a single shot.  That supports the notion that she believed she was pulling out her taser.  

If you listen to the video, if she really didn’t believe that was a taser in her hand, she did one heck of an acting job. 

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, Capco said:

The fact that she says “taser” three times and then says “oh ***** I shot him” afterwards also suggest that.

But I still have no idea how she mistook her gun for her Taser.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Doc said:

The fact that she says “taser” three times and then says “oh ***** I shot him” afterwards also suggest that.

I think attention to detail has slipped drastically as a result of pandemic mush brain and way too much screen time. 

2 hours ago, Doc said:

Is there even a debate about this? Why did we spend all of this money on police body cams if we aren't going to look at the video or listen to the audio? 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Capco said:

Interesting point. 

I’ve struggled with the argument that the officer targeted this young man for assassination with two other police officers, one of whom is a trainee, and set it up to look like she was grabbing a taser when she knew he was going to run.  Part of it is the incredible amount of planning it would take in the short period of time from when they encountered his vehicle to the shooting.  Part of it is the video evidence, from body cameras that are worn by the officers to help clarify these often tragic interactions.  

Then again, maybe they all just watched Denzel in “Training Day” and it was just a matter of time. 

• Haha (+1) 1

This incident defines the word tragedy.   To the larger issue, there is simply no trust on either side anymore.  The black community has no trust in the police; they feel they are at risk every time they encounter a policeman.  And the police have no trust that they won't get ambushed.  I don't know how you get trust back.

• Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

This incident defines the word tragedy.   To the larger issue, there is simply no trust on either side anymore.  The black community has no trust in the police; they feel they are at risk every time they encounter a policeman.  And the police have no trust that they won't get ambushed.  I don't know how you get trust back.

Two things that will help:

1) general public needs to stop thinking of cops as mediators or anything other than person who is there to finish a situation.

2) police need to be more active in the communities they represent. 

IMO a little distrust is ok, I don't trust cops unless I know them personally. People can video tape everything now and I will be video taping any interaction with cops I have and I have told my kids the same. I have also told my kids to do as cop says and I will sue later if cop is wrong. 

21 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

1) general public needs to stop thinking of cops as mediators or anything other than person who is there to finish a situation.

IMO a little distrust is ok, I don't trust cops unless I know them personally. People can video tape everything now and I will be video taping any interaction with cops I have and I have told my kids the same. I have also told my kids to do as cop says and I will sue later if cop is wrong. 

Or....how about when the police officer tells you to do something...YOU DO IT! The most recent and most highly publicized incidents all include a single common denominator, the person interacting with the police is not following the officers’ reasonable commands. 

• Agree 1

52 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

37 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

That's good advice.  One thing you don't do is practice law in the streets.  Or engage in a confrontation with armed police.  If you think your rights have been violated then taking it to court is the best recourse.  I don't know what the cops or Wright were thinking here.  Its seems like a unique situation and a real tragedy. 

I've been involved in several traffic stops by police and in only one instance did I get a ticket.  This, for a bad inspection sticker.  I handled them all the same way.  Cooperated and made sure I didn't communicate any hostile or confrontational message.  Provided my documentation as request, and then drove away no worse for wear.  I suspect Wright didn't follow my example here. 

But I'm not taking the cops side here either.  A few years ago I left a party across town about 11 PM for what's about an 8 mile ride home.  About 1 mile into my trip a patrol car appears in my rear view mirror and follows me all the way home glued to me about 10 feet back all the way.  Left turns, right turns, right behind me all the way.  I wasn't drinking or speeding or doing anything improper.  He didn't pull me over but the only thing the cop didn't do was pull into my driveway behind me and tuck us in for a good night's sleep.  So I know what people mean when they say they're getting hassled for no reason.  But during the ride home I resisted the urge to pull over and ask what the problem was here?  That I told myself would be a mistake in judgment.

My buddy Stan was working late at night and got pulled over the local cops for DWB down the street from our office.  A black man driving around a wealthy suburban generally white community can draw attention.  Stan being a smart guy acted consistent with what I had done and left the scene of the traffic stop for home.  Its a certainty he was pulled over because he was black but he was situationally aware.  He could have raised a bias case through the legal system afterward but chose not to take that route. 

So the cops are far from perfect too.  And just like any other profession there are great performers and poor one's too.  As oldman said in his post there's a lack of trust and I'll add what I see as no willingness on the sides to come together for a heart-to-heart sit-down discussion to reach some kind of compromise and objective understanding to ease tensions and bring back some sense of civility. 

Edited by All_Pro_Bills

11 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Or....how about when the police officer tells you to do something...YOU DO IT! The most recent and most highly publicized incidents all include a single common denominator, the person interacting with the police is not following the officers’ reasonable commands. 

EzCgyn0WgAUcpj0?format=jpg&name=large

13 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I agree in part.  But I am also not a black man.  And from speaking to those who are, they feel that even if they do so they are in danger.  You and I may not agree with that, but I don't walk in their shoes.

I look at this latest incident and compare it to six months ago when I was pulled over for not having a front headlight working.  The policeman walked up to my car window. kindly informed me that I had a light out, and I thanked him and told him I'd get it fixed.  He thanked me and we were done.  Would that same encounter happened if I were black?  I don't know.  I do know friends of my daughter that are black report being followed and/or pulled over for no reason.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

This is all fine and well for people who are rational and having good days. But usually, when police have to intervene in situations people are not acting rationally and/or are having the worst days of their lives. Police don't show up at tea parties, they show up at situations were people are very angry and not acting rationally. 

A big part of the  job of the police is to settle people down