For the "Anti-Melifonwu" Crowd

1 hour ago, JMF2006 said:

It looks like everyone at 30 is some kind of project

A 2 year LB

A DE with no sacks despite being "a superior athlete"

A long and lanky DB with a brother who busted.

Maybe they should trade all all the picks this year for picks next year ;)

That's part of the issue drafting this late, it has been like 30 years since we drafted this late, the complete guys aren't there and we are in the tier 2 players who have warts. This is exactly where your FO and coaching staff have to be in agreement and understand what is coachable and what it isn't. The nod will still lean towards the intangibles though.

• Like (+1) 1

I trust this team to develop players and he comes into a situation with a very talented secondary that he can learn from. Lot of vets to teach him the ropes.  HIs bro going to the raiders where they didnt exactly have a vet roster and also ran into injury issues. what are this guy's injuries? anything notable?

2 hours ago, JMF2006 said:

It looks like everyone at 30 is some kind of project

A 2 year LB

A DE with no sacks despite being "a superior athlete"

A long and lanky DB with a brother who busted.

Maybe they should trade all all the picks this year for picks next year ;)

Even more reason to simply take the BPA regardless of position and not reach for a need. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Reed83HOF said:

That's part of the issue drafting this late, it has been like 30 years since we drafted this late, the complete guys aren't there and we are in the tier 2 players who have warts. This is exactly where your FO and coaching staff have to be in agreement and understand what is coachable and what it isn't. The nod will still lean towards the intangibles though.

We drafted Tre White at 27…

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Mojo44 said:

Please read my subsequent post to the one you quoted. With respect, which you said here has no logic. Is measurable’s are quite good and his tape was also very good. If a scout gives him a second round grade they’re not going to knock that down because his brother didn’t pan out even if he had similar measurable‘s. There is simply no predictive value in that kind of illogic.  Frankly, I have no clue why you mention Goodwin Or Nassib which is even more irrelevant to the topic. Let me just state again as basically as I can: an NFL scout will not put the kibosh on a player because of what some other player did or didn’t do.

A player is a evaluated  on his own merits and nothing more

Goodwin had good measurables.

Nassib was from Syracuse.

Neither might be more relevant but both are more so  than Hank Aaron, who you brought up.  

The guy has bad tape, not good tape.  His brother had a similar profile.  Yes they are two different people but this has more relevance than Phil Niekro or Felipe Alou.  

23 hours ago, glazeduck said:

I posted yesterday that I thought he'd probably be the next CB taken after Farley and Newsome... 

I don't have him on my board that high, but I do believe that Buffalo has the luxury of being able to take a guy they can develop through the season with the logic that we're probably looking at a 10 or 11 win season even if we're not drafting immediate difference makers... If those guys can be difference makers by the time the playoffs roll around, it's a risk well worth taking.

Meli is raw, but in super rare company when it comes to body type and movement. Not a lot of misses on that list...

So basically the only reason in this tweet is b.c he did well on the 40 and vert... Lol

1 minute ago, TBBills said:

So basically the only reason in this tweet is b.c he did well on the 40 and vert... Lol

Nope. It's about the athleticism at that size. It's one thing to run fast and jump high, it's another thing to do it at an outlier size for your position. 

No one is saying that because he did those things he will automatically be good. Just that of his small group of cohorts who tested at those extremely elite measurements, all but one, really, have been successful. Freakish athleticism at uniquely freakish size = success in football, crazy concept...

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, glazeduck said:

Nope. It's about the athleticism at that size. It's one thing to run fast and jump high, it's another thing to do it at an outlier size for your position. 

No one is saying that because he did those things he will automatically be good. Just that of his small group of cohorts who tested at those extremely elite measurements, all but one, really, have been successful. Freakish athleticism at uniquely freakish size = success in football, crazy concept...

He is saying it... 

He even says "Listeners are sick of hearing me say it"

Edited by TBBills

23 hours ago, glazeduck said:

I posted yesterday that I thought he'd probably be the next CB taken after Farley and Newsome... 

I don't have him on my board that high, but I do believe that Buffalo has the luxury of being able to take a guy they can develop through the season with the logic that we're probably looking at a 10 or 11 win season even if we're not drafting immediate difference makers... If those guys can be difference makers by the time the playoffs roll around, it's a risk well worth taking.

Meli is raw, but in super rare company when it comes to body type and movement. Not a lot of misses on that list...

I hope you don’t mind my asking, how big is your board?

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, TBBills said:

He is saying it... 

He even says "Listeners are sick of hearing me say it"

He says he deserves discussion about being a first round pick. That's not the same as saying he will be good.

The draft -- especially first rounders -- are often more about potential than anything else, which is the argument for taking Meli anyway. 

6 minutes ago, Beerball said:

I hope you don’t mind my asking, how big is your board?

Somewhat of a moving target -- I usually try to dial in the top couple rounds pretty well, so usually around the 75 mark. From there I'll try to form informed and fairly structured opinions on the next 100 or so players that could potentially impact my world (Bills fan, Ducks fan, fantasy player, etc.; which is basically to say that I ignore Special Teamers), but those are a lot more loosely tiered than ranked -- if you wanted to quibble about one 4th or 5th rd player being rated over another, I wouldn't make it a big deal but could also probably rank most of those guys if you held a gun to my head. After that I like to have at least a fuzzy understanding of the next 100ish guys in terms of ability/game/scheme fit, etc. and usually develop a few favorites, but by no means am I ranking or generally even tiering those guys...

Edited by glazeduck
  • Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, glazeduck said:

He says he deserves discussion about being a first round pick. That's not the same as saying he will be good.

The draft -- especially first rounders -- are often more about potential than anything else, which is the argument for taking Meli anyway. 

Somewhat of a moving target -- I usually try to dial in the top couple rounds pretty well, so usually around the 75 mark. From there I'll try to form informed and fairly structured opinions on the next 100 or so players that could potentially impact my world (Bills fan, Ducks fan, fantasy player, etc.; which is basically to say that I ignore Special Teamers), but those are a lot more loosely tiered than ranked -- if you wanted to quibble about one 4th or 5th rd player being rated over another, I wouldn't make it a big deal but could also probably rank most of those guys if you held a gun to my head. After that I like to have at least a fuzzy understanding of the next 100ish guys in terms of ability/game/scheme fit, etc. and usually develop a few favorites, but by no means am I ranking or generally even tiering those guys...

You should compare the size of your board with the board of @BringBackFergy who is known to have one of the bigger boards on this site. Maybe you can both share pics of your board?

5 minutes ago, Beerball said:

You should compare the size of your board with the board of @BringBackFergy who is known to have one of the bigger boards on this site. Maybe you can both share pics of your board?

Wohoa Wohoa! This is a pg13 family site, no need for guys to post pics of their "boards" on here.

CONGRATS @BringBackFergy your significant other must be very happy!

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Wohoa Wohoa! This is a pg13 family site, no need for guys to post pics of their "boards" on here.

CONGRATS @BringBackFergy your significant other must be very happy!

I’ll have you know that neither my wife, @Beerball or @GunnerBill have ever complained about the size of my board. It’s extremely large. A beautiful board. Incredible board. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1