Spotrac article: "Projecting Josh Allen's Contract Extension"

warrior9

4 hours ago, vtnatefootball11 said:

If a deal gets done this offseason it's going to be much longer than 4 years.  I would think Beane and co are shooting for something similar to the Mahomes deal, and would push for 7-10 years.  It's the only way to get Allen his worth while spreading it out enough to create needed cap flexibility. The Cowboys deal with Dak looks absurd next to the team friendly/flexible deal the chiefs did with Mahomes. A 4 year deal would be terrible for the Bills from a cap/roster management perspective.  I don't think Allen wants that either, he wants to play for the Bills for a long time and he wants them to be competitive roster wise.  

Lots can happen in 7-8 years. Josh could blow out his knee or maybe something catastrophic like that could happen and although I think Josh is extremely high character and will likely never in his life experience any issues legally, the whole thing with Deshaun Watson scares me. What if he shatters an ankle like Dak Prescott or has an Alex Smith like knee injury? Give him a 4 year deal, pay him $45M/year. Josh will earn more money that way and we’re protected long term financially.

God forbid it would happen, but what would a team with hundreds of millions guaranteed to one player do if said player had a fatal or debilitating  accident  and the team would have to take the guaranteed money cap hit in one season? Would they have to cut everyone else to get under the cap?

12 hours ago, Joe Mama said:

God forbid it would happen, but what would a team with hundreds of millions guaranteed to one player do if said player had a fatal or debilitating  accident  and the team would have to take the guaranteed money cap hit in one season? Would they have to cut everyone else to get under the cap?

Only the prorated portion of the signing bonus would affect the cap. The rest of the guaranteed money would go away in the event of a death the same as if he retired. Now if it was an injury off the field that would be interesting as the team might try to void his contract. An injury on the field they would just keep him on the roster and pay him. I think something similar occurred with Eric Wood and Cam Chancellor

11 hours ago, FieldGeneral said:

Four years? What kind of lame contract is this? 6 years minimum please. 

Josh may not want more than 4 years. The cap might go up a lot in 4 years and he may not want to be locked in that long.

12 hours ago, FieldGeneral said:

Well it technically would be a 6year deal.

He has this year, his 5th year option, THEN the new money deal. 

14 hours ago, Rubes said:

Hell, I'd go with 23 years, $1 billion.

I can see negotiations going like this....

In all seriousness,the Mahomes deal couldn’t have been any more team friendly as so much is pushed to the back end and currently makes less the R. Wilson.  Most agents wouldn’t let Allen do it.  The Watson deal is much more onerous on the Texans than the Chiefs deal.

I have no expectation of a discount fromAllen, but a longer deal is great for the Bills.  The Chiefs already went back to the bank of Mahomes this year to convert more to a signing bonus.  We should be hoping for a big deal that is very long, and we can convert $ when we need it.  I get the QB’s side.  They always want a shorter deal to come back t9 the table as the QB franchise guy market sill keep going up exponentially after the next two years.

14 hours ago, Joe Mama said:

That's my biggest concern.

12 hours ago, BillnutinHouston said:

We heard you the first time.

But really, Four years? What kind of lame contract is this? 6 years minimum please.

I honestly would rather they wait and do it after next season. I’d like to see Josh replicate last season. Maybe not with the exact numbers but something similar. I’d like to see continued growth for another year. I don’t want to end up in a Wentz situation. If that means having to pay more next year so be it.