The Athletic calls Buffalo the NFL's best front office.

1. The Athletic calls Buffalo the NFL's best front office

The major stages of the free agency period have come and gone, and the focus now shifts to the NFL Draft which is less than three weeks away. 

The Athletic NFL writer Sheil Kapadia went back and looked at all the signings that took place by all 32 teams and put together a list of what he learned about each team so far this offseason.

For the Bills, he noted that the front office, led by Brandon Beane, might be the best in the entire league.

EDIT 

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/bills-today-the-athletic-calls-buffalo-the-nfl-s-best-front-office

No pay there ^

Edited by SlimShady'sSpaceForce
  • Like (+1) 8
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

C’mon, Man! 

Ya gotta put more quotes in when creating a topic of The Athletic. It’s a pay service! Not everybody is willing to fork out cash monthly for a couple worthy articles. The way this reads, doesn’t rate the space it takes up.

jmo

🤦‍♂️

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

They are. It's really indisputable. 

They're one of the best drafting teams in the NFL compared to their peers since arriving in 2017 (Yes, McDermott is part of the front office). It's proven with data and performance on the field.

They're one of the best teams at getting value in FA compared to their peers since arriving in 2017. It's proven with data and performance on the field. 

They took a risk on one of the most polarizing prospects in the history of the sport... and got it right. 

They have a clear core values and a plan that they stick to, but they're also not afraid to make a splash when they know they need to (See Diggs, Stefon)

They have 4-5 guys that are considered future NFL GMs in the front office.

They've absolutely made mistakes... like all front offices do... it's inevitable. They've just done a really good job of minimizing those mistakes in comparison to their peers. Easily a top 3 front office in the league and I don't question them being considered the best. 

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

They are. It's really indisputable. 

They're one of the best drafting teams in the NFL compared to their peers since arriving in 2017 (Yes, McDermott is part of the front office). It's proven with data and performance on the field.

They're one of the best teams at getting value in FA compared to their peers since arriving in 2017. It's proven with data and performance on the field. 

They took a risk on one of the most polarizing prospects in the history of the sport... and got it right. 

They have a clear core values and a plan that they stick to, but they're also not afraid to make a splash when they know they need to (See Diggs, Stefon)

They have 4-5 guys that are considered future NFL GMs in the front office.

They've absolutely made mistakes... like all front offices do... it's inevitable. They've just done a really good job of minimizing those mistakes in comparison to their peers. Easily a top 3 front office in the league and I don't question them being considered the best. 

I really wanna know who these 4-5 future GM's are.....

• Eyeroll 1

14 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

Brian Gaine was GM of the Texans until 'stuff happened'.

Joe Schoen's name has been thrown around as future GM prospect

Dan Morgan

Mailk Boyd

Terrence Gray

Edited by uninja
Spelling
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 hour ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

1. The Athletic calls Buffalo the NFL's best front office

The major stages of the free agency period have come and gone, and the focus now shifts to the NFL Draft which is less than three weeks away. 

The Athletic NFL writer Sheil Kapadia went back and looked at all the signings that took place by all 32 teams and put together a list of what he learned about each team so far this offseason.

For the Bills, he noted that the front office, led by Brandon Beane, might be the best in the entire league.

Not sure if they are the best but they are definitely one of the best. They are 100% the most improved for the last 3 yrs or so. I don't know very much about other teams FO besides the basics, like some names and whatnot.

But can surely see how and why Bills FO/management is considered to be the best. They have had a few mishaps here and there, but what team doesn't? Really proud how the team is ran and the respect for one another. It's oh so refreshing compared to what it was for so many years.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

56 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

I mean it’s not made up... talked about pretty often. 

Gaine, Boyd, Schoen, Morgan and Lake Dawson were the ones I was referring to. 

Gray is another one. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

This is gonna upset some of the detractors... ya know, because we didn’t draft that big WR, and traded Sammy Watkins, and, and, and, what’s his name,that other guy too...  

Makes me lol every time I see someone post that stuff... 😁

• Like (+1) 1

I would agree with "One of the best front offices."

I'm not sold on "The Best Front Office" yet. We're fans of the team so it's easy to get excited about re-signing our own guys, but lets face it:

2019 Draft:

1st: Ed Oliver

2nd: Cody Ford (traded up)

3rd: Devin Singletary

3rd : Dawson Knox (traded up)

5th: Vosean Joseph

6th: Jaquan Johnson

7th: Darryl Johnson

7th: Tommy Sweeney

2018 Draft: 

1st: Josh Allen - INCREDIBLE PICK.

1st: Tremaine Edmunds (traded way up)

3rd: Harrison Phillips

4th: Taron Johnson

5th: Siran Neal

5th: Wyatt Teller (Great player, but traded away)

6th: Ray-Ray McLoud

7th: Austin Proehl

There really is no better team in the entire league at drafting talent, developing it, and retaining it?

I'm sure there is at least 1 team out there that did a better job.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

C’mon, Man! 

Ya gotta put more quotes in when creating a topic of The Athletic. It’s a pay service! Not everybody is willing to fork out cash monthly for a couple worthy articles. The way this reads, doesn’t rate the space it takes up.

jmo

🤦‍♂️

Paying people to write articles isn’t free, If you like the content then pay to read, if not then ask people to break forum rules is pretty low. Would you moderate without being paid? 

Edited by IronMaidenBills
  • Eyeroll 1

18 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

I would agree with "One of the best front offices."

I'm not sold on "The Best Front Office" yet. We're fans of the team so it's easy to get excited about re-signing our own guys, but lets face it:

2019 Draft:

1st: Ed Oliver

2nd: Cody Ford (traded up)

3rd: Devin Singletary

3rd : Dawson Knox (traded up)

5th: Vosean Joseph

6th: Jaquan Johnson

7th: Darryl Johnson

7th: Tommy Sweeney

2018 Draft: 

1st: Josh Allen - INCREDIBLE PICK.

1st: Tremaine Edmunds (traded way up)

3rd: Harrison Phillips

4th: Taron Johnson

5th: Siran Neal

5th: Wyatt Teller (Great player, but traded away)

6th: Ray-Ray McLoud

7th: Austin Proehl

There really is no better team in the entire league at drafting talent, developing it, and retaining it?

I'm sure there is at least 1 team out there that did a better job.

Nope. There isn’t. 

Edited by JGMcD2
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

C’mon, Man! 

jmo

🤦‍♂️

pssst —  https://www.buffalobills.com/news/bills-today-the-athletic-calls-buffalo-the-nfl-s-best-front-office

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

Nope. There isn’t. 

Hey man, I really appreciate the time and effort you put into this ... but Football Outsiders did the same analysis and improved it by adjusting for total # of draft picks and draft position, which was sorely needed:

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2020/nfl-drafting-efficiency-2010-2019

In 2019 the Bills were #7 in total draft return. After adjusting for draft position (they shouldn't be credited for losing), they were #10.

In 2018 the Bills were #4 in total draft return. After adjusting for draft position, they were #11.

In 2017 the Bills were #2 in total draft return. After adjusting for draft position, they were #2.

So you're right that they were VERY GOOD. I agree that they were very good, per my first post.

The drafts also don't pass the eyeball test for me... regardless of what numbers stat geeks are putting on them.

Name one player we drafted in 2019 who has looked elite.

Outside of Josh Allen, name one player drafted in 2018 who is considered elite... Tremaine Edmunds (#16 overall)?

Yes, VERY GOOD Front Office staff overall, but I'm not ready to say the best in the entire league.

Edited by Rigotz
  • Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

Nope. There isn’t. 

Thanks for posting this information, I’ve referenced your work in a couple posts, it is great to see how well they are doing. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

So you're right that they were VERY GOOD. I agree that they were very good, per my first post.

The drafts also don't pass the eyeball test for me... regardless of what numbers stat geeks are putting on them.

Name one player we drafted in 2019 who has looked elite.

Outside of Josh Allen, name one player drafted in 2018 who is considered elite... Tremaine Edmunds (#16 overall)?

Yes, VERY GOOD Front Office staff overall, but I'm not ready to say the best in the entire league.

I appreciate the kind words. I’m glad they put together a better version of my analysis... I’d be curious to see the cumulative... Bills are probably what top 3 during that span? 

I don’t necessarily understand your point about elite players in 2018? You’re lucky if you get 1 per draft. The whole point is that in comparison to their peers they’re better and more consistent. Indianapolis and Baltimore are right up there too. 

The front office’s only job isn’t drafting players either... they do everything at a very high level. Draft, FA, salary cap, pro personnel, culture, staff hires, etc.

That’s what makes them the best in the league. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

3 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Paying people to write articles isn’t free, If you like the content then pay to read, if not then askOmg people to break forum rules is pretty low. Would you moderate without being paid? 

Being paid does not necessarily resulting in better results - see full time referees who still cannot get calls right.

MODS get paid for this?

you-shall-not-troll.jpg

43 minutes ago, FFadpecr said:

The favorability by referees and commissioner makes the franchise, not the other way around. Tom Brady proved this. This FO wheeled and dealed their way to JA17 and knew exactly how to build a winning team around him (I had also envisioned this in my mind leading up to the draft), and were super aggressive to make sure they got this franchise QB. The Bills front office is the best front office because they identified and drafted Josh Allen. 

corrected as been proved by spygate burnings, "Just give it to them", "tuck rule", etc.

6 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

Josh Allen??  Stop..

At least 2 mock drafts had him going to the Bills.  BR even said he might go 1st overall in the draft (before predicting Buffalo would trade up to get him). 

I think Beane and McD have largely done a good job. I also generally approach what isn’t going well and address how to fix those things as a normal practice, football aside. 

The FO with Beane has had some missteps. Every team has them. Beane has done a good job of quickly fixing his mistakes. Bad OL, fixed. The QB room, fixed. Need better WR, done. 

We’ve also had to double back and address a lot of issues. Most recently, we keep missing on RB. Either that, or we had one of the highest paid OL’s in the league in 2020 but can’t run block well. We have one of the highest paid secondaries in the league, but lack depth behind Tre, Poyer, and Hyde.  I am not sure our LB play is worth $25M per year, which is what it will cost when/if we re-sign Edmunds. We spend huge dollars on a DL that has no reliable pass rusher, and that’s with dedicating our first pick 2 drafts in a row. Not to mention, we can’t stop the run. 

I think we’d view Beane a bit differently had we gotten Rosen or Darnold. Allen became a stud this year. The FO isn’t afraid to fix their mistakes, and having Allen allows them the freedom to swing, miss, and try and address again. They’ve done some good things too. I’ll keep complaining that they need to be better. But I by no means think they’re bad. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1