They paid for this? Study finds Bills fans among heaviest game day drinkers in NFL

21 hours ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

I mean so did the Browns, Fins for a while, Raiders fans for sure with the crazies they got. Seriously don't think it's too much difference to make out of it. Fans of every team drink a lot.

They drink more when their team is losing or having a losing season, or having a long drought( Bills/Browns). Also fans of teams drink a lot when their team wins a lot, gets to the playoffs, and you can believe they party like it's 1999 if their team wins Super Bowl.

So yeah, I mean I just don't think one can definitely say for sure that all fans of one team drinks so much more than any other. 

I have never seen as many blind drunk clowns at a sports contest as I have seen at a Buffalo game. So drunk they couldn't even follow the play on the field. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

48 minutes ago, Dr. K said:

I have never seen as many blind drunk clowns at a sports contest as I have seen at a Buffalo game. So drunk they couldn't even follow the play on the field. 

I couldn’t agree more. I have noticed that fans who attend Bills games are on the younger side compared to what I’ve seen at other NFL stadiums. That might play a big role in the frat party atmosphere. You get them everywhere, but I also notice a greater proportion of people who are completely out of it. It varies quite a bit based on where you sit. The club seats and parts of the lower bowl aren’t as bad as the upper deck. The upper deck in Buffalo has more drunks than I’ve seen anywhere in my life. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Seasons1992 said:

Having been to Tennessee, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, and Pittsburgh for road games, I disagree. 

Pardon me while I crack open another White Claw......

White Claw? Good god man, people are watching!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Dr. K said:

I have many times. Imo the Bills fans getting all the media attention with the tables and stuff helps make it look like they drink the most. 

23 hours ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

At the bottom of the list were New England Patriots fans (42%).

There's a good reason for this. The Pats have/had a 30,000 wait list for season tickets and stadium security were like the Gestapo with unruly fans. Any infraction and you lose your seasons. Happened to my buddy's company. They used Pats tickets to schmooze clients. One game a client did something and boom! Tickets pulled. They were STH'ers for over 40 years. Kraft don't care.

1 hour ago, Dr. K said:

Worst drunks I've ever seen were Canadians in the Jim Kelly Club. Cleveland game 12/18/16. Literally falling over people in seats. That was also the game I ran into Bill Fichtner. He had a buzz.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

I have many times. Imo the Bills fans getting all the media attention with the tables and stuff helps make it look like they drink the most. 

Our perceptions differ. 

48 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

I couldn’t agree more. I have noticed that fans who attend Bills games are on the younger side compared to what I’ve seen at other NFL stadiums. That might play a big role in the frat party atmosphere. You get them everywhere, but I also notice a greater proportion of people who are completely out of it. It varies quite a bit based on where you sit. The club seats and parts of the lower bowl aren’t as bad as the upper deck. The upper deck in Buffalo has more drunks than I’ve seen anywhere in my life. 

yep - lots of college frat bro and sorority girl types.

Adds to the fun, IMO!

The absolutely staggering amount of fall-down, blackout drunkenness I see at Bills games is gross and sad.

I’m no shrinking violet. I have a few drinks and a toke before and after the game. I stand up and yell and pound the seats. I realize this isn’t Saturday night at the opera house.

But the amount of people who use Bills games as an excuse to drink to ludicrous, craven excess is off the charts. I’ve come across so many people that are too drunk to even follow the game (or who aren’t even looking at the field), starting fights, spilling beer on people, pissing themselves, harassing little kids because they’re wearing the opposing team’s jersey...

I’m not just picking on Bills fans here. I’m sure this happens, to some degree, all across the league. But the Bills Mafia’s legendary proclivity for extended tailgating often results in embarrassing levels of inebriation. It’s gross.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

20 hours ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

I used to be able to drink with the best of em. Drank way too much really. Lol, so much family members started to get worried and whatnot. Older I got though, especially last 3-4 years, just the smell of it makes me nauseous. Have not had a drink in little over 4 years.

Don't know what happened exactly to make me feel that way. May have just out grown it, or drank so much it messed something up in my stomach, I don't know. But I'm glad it happened honestly because I was a very, very heavy drinker.

Would drink whatever, beer, liquor, wine, cheap nasty wine/beer. Didn't matter as it was my main high light of the day. 

I can relate.  I have no desire to suffer through monster hangovers anymore. Wayyyyy too old for that. 

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, TheBillsOrDie said:

White Claw? Good god man, people are watching!!

I deserve ALL the ribbing; but it's only 100 calories and if I gotta daydrink, the Claw is a decent choice. You won't see me having any at Hammer's, however. Only stolen beers from @LeviF91 and my own Manhattan mix in a growler that gets shared.

16 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Worst drunks I've ever seen were Canadians in the Jim Kelly Club. Cleveland game 12/18/16. Literally falling over people in seats. That was also the game I ran into Bill Fichtner. He had a buzz.

I was at that game and I think EVERYONE had a major buzz going on. Very cold, meaningless game.

2 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

I was at that game and I think EVERYONE had a major buzz going on. Very cold, meaningless game.

The bright side to meaningless games are incredibly cheap seats. Got Kelly clubs @ the 50 yard line for $50 each that game. At least the Bills won.

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

The absolutely staggering amount of fall-down, blackout drunkenness I see at Bills games is gross and sad.

I’m no shrinking violet. I have a few drinks and a toke before and after the game. I stand up and yell and pound the seats. I realize this isn’t Saturday night at the opera house.

But the amount of people who use Bills games as an excuse to drink to ludicrous, craven excess is off the charts. I’ve come across so many people that are too drunk to even follow the game (or who aren’t even looking at the field), starting fights, spilling beer on people, pissing themselves, harassing little kids because they’re wearing the opposing team’s jersey...

I’m not just picking on Bills fans here. I’m sure this happens, to some degree, all across the league. But the Bills Mafia’s legendary proclivity for extended tailgating often results in embarrassing levels of inebriation. It’s gross.

Yeah see I have been to some road games and people had to be dragged by someone since they were so passed out drunk. Literally dragged across asphalt. And lots of people do stupid things everywhere you go when plastered drunk.

I will definitely say Bills fans have the best tailgates imo. I just think when Bills Mafia started getting media attention and all the jumping through tables attention, imo it gives the perception they drink the most and whatnot.

Other fans do stupid, crazy ***** too, they just don't get media attention like Bills fans do. Bills fans are great and they can dance with the best of em. I just can't say they drink the most of all. Ijust don't think it's much difference to say for fact. 

17 hours ago, Snowdog3831 said:

1.  Not buying that we were beat out by Atlanta, Jacksonville, or Arizona (depending on how you look at this).  Never been to games there but but can't imagine there is much tailgate atmosphere.  Honestly can't imagine too many other fan bases can be heavier drinkers (CHI?, Philly?, NY?).

2.  Aside from many Bills home games, I've been to games in Indy, KC, and NE (original Foxborough).  Indy was lame.  No real tailgating, mostly people hanging out at bars paying bar prices so no one was getting hammered.  KC was nice but comparing a Bills tailgate to a Chiefs tailgate is like comparing a frat party to a backyard family BBQ.  And they drink in NE.  My nephew from RI goes to pats games and he drinks.  A lot.

3.  My personal tradition of a 40oz genny screamer to christen the tailgate spanned winning and losing.  Can't say I drank more or less depending on whether they were winning or losing and I was around for both the good years in the early 90's and the not so good years that followed.  Full disclosure ... starting with a 12oz screamer is about all I can stomach now before switching to something else.  Screamers, brats, and wings can lead to a perfect storm.

Not sure my point with all this reminiscing other than thinking the article was way off the mark.  Maybe it's time for a beer.

Indy was lame. We had to tailgate in our hotel room then walk down the street to the game. Only good part of Indy was St. Elmo’s

9 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

I can relate.  I have no desire to suffer through monster hangovers anymore. Wayyyyy too old for that. 

Yeah me too.Haven't been able to go to Bills games in quite a while, but when I was going I went to many home and away games. Not proud to admit but I used to drink so much I had couple times I woke up in my drive way with little rock pebbles stuck to my face and someones yard 1 time lol.

Can't stand the smell of it now, start to feel sick

3 minutes ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

Yeah see I have been to some road games and people had to be dragged by someone since they were so passed out drunk. Literally dragged across asphalt. And lots of people do stupid things everywhere you go when plastered drunk.

I will definitely say Bills fans have the best tailgates imo. I just think when Bills Mafia started getting media attention and all the jumping through tables attention, imo it gives the perception they drink the most and whatnot.

Other fans do stupid, crazy ***** too, they just don't get media attention like Bills fans do. Bills fans are great and they can dance with the best of em. I just can't say they drink the most of all. Ijust don't think it's much difference to say for fact. 

Yeah, I mean....

don’t get me started on the table jumping nonsense.

It’s nice to be known for being diehard loyal, for having epic tailgates, for being friendly/charitable/neighborly... but being known for drunkenly jumping through flaming tables is dumb. It reduces a truly great fan base to the level of cartoonish debauchery.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Logic said:

Yeah, I mean....

It’s nice to be known for being diehard loyal, for having epic tailgates, for being friendly/charitable/neighborly... but being known for drunkenly jumping through flaming tables is dumb. It reduces a truly great fan base to the level of cartoonish debauchery.

I agree. Was at a road game 10 yrs or so ago, Bills were losing to the point where made the decision to try an get out early since it was obviously over. Anyways, I remember seeing 2 fans of other team jumping off the top of their SUV onto the porta potties. Knocked a few over and you can guess the mess that made. Anyway, point is that was just 1 small particular part of that stadium lot this was going on.

No telling how crazy it was in other areas. That's why I say I don't by Bills fans are the worst.

Edited by Patrick_Duffy

29 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The bright side to meaningless games are incredibly cheap seats. Got Kelly clubs @ the 50 yard line for $50 each that game. At least the Bills won.

Was that the RGIII game?  Pretty fun to watch as far as drought games go.

18 minutes ago, Logic said:

Yeah, I mean....

They always show that dude who gets covered w/ mustard, too.

I agree it's not a great overall look.  At the same time, Bills fans do have some real notoriety around the league now.  I've heard a lot of opposing fans say things about how dedicated Bills fans are and how we're one of the best fanbases, and I think some of the stuff that I don't necessarily like (tables, mustard) plays into that.

It's the ol' yin and yang.  Without a doubt, the Bills fanbase has a real identity nationally, and you can't really say that about too many other fanbases.  

Still, I wish I could take my kids to games without worrying about some of the more ridiculous stuff that goes on.  Booze & sports are fun to a point - but things get ugly pretty quick in a losing game if people have had too much to drink.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Lets see how it goes when the team is actually good.  For 20 years they were bad and the tailgate was better than the game.  I believe the national attention and local blowback will move the Bills to down town Buffalo.  No more tailgates or limited areas for tailgating.  Want drinks before the game?  Gonna have to pay bar prices.  An increased focus on the in stadium experiance vs pregame outside.