They paid for this? Study finds Bills fans among heaviest game day drinkers in NFL

4 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

Well, when your franchise has played at 1:00pm 98% of their games scheduled this past decade is it really surprising? "Daytime" drinking is pretty much a given. 😆

As they say, you can’t drink all day if you don’t start in the morning!   🍺  :)  Breakfast of champions! 

I’d like to blame the drought, but that would clearly be disingenuous. 

I’d like to put this in a positive light and suggest that we are just the most honest of fan bases! We deserve a trophy or something!!!

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 4

4 hours ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

Not sure I buy into that. Guess the jumping through tables might have helped a bit to come to that conclusion. Imo I think fans of every team likely drinks about the same as any other. So yeah, meh....

Yeah, like others have said. Bills fans are definitely the worst drinkers. It really sticks out to me now since I stopped.

1.  Not buying that we were beat out by Atlanta, Jacksonville, or Arizona (depending on how you look at this).  Never been to games there but but can't imagine there is much tailgate atmosphere.  Honestly can't imagine too many other fan bases can be heavier drinkers (CHI?, Philly?, NY?).

2.  Aside from many Bills home games, I've been to games in Indy, KC, and NE (original Foxborough).  Indy was lame.  No real tailgating, mostly people hanging out at bars paying bar prices so no one was getting hammered.  KC was nice but comparing a Bills tailgate to a Chiefs tailgate is like comparing a frat party to a backyard family BBQ.  And they drink in NE.  My nephew from RI goes to pats games and he drinks.  A lot.

3.  My personal tradition of a 40oz genny screamer to christen the tailgate spanned winning and losing.  Can't say I drank more or less depending on whether they were winning or losing and I was around for both the good years in the early 90's and the not so good years that followed.  Full disclosure ... starting with a 12oz screamer is about all I can stomach now before switching to something else.  Screamers, brats, and wings can lead to a perfect storm.

Not sure my point with all this reminiscing other than thinking the article was way off the mark.  Maybe it's time for a beer.

6 hours ago, MJS said:

It's a survey of about 1,600 fans. That's only, like, 50 fans per team. So it's an incredibly small sample size to be splitting 32 ways.

Also the reliance on self reporting is IMO a problem with this study.  Having lived in 5 different NFL cities, I think the "drinking is macho" ethic is highest in Buffalo relative to others, and that includes Pittsburgh which has a strong blue collar history.  That said, if you're a Bills fan asked about GameDay drinking, I think you're more likely to proudly embellish.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Well they live in Buffalo. 

That fact alone would force anyone into heavy drinking.

So, Grasshopper.

How much time have you spent in Buffalo performing the no doubt extensive research underlying this conclusion?

My vote would be between 0 hrs and "drove through one day"

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, Snowdog3831 said:

1.  Not buying that we were beat out by Atlanta, Jacksonville, or Arizona (depending on how you look at this).  Never been to games there but but can't imagine there is much tailgate atmosphere.  Honestly can't imagine too many other fan bases can be heavier drinkers (CHI?, Philly?, NY?).

2.  Aside from many Bills home games, I've been to games in Indy, KC, and NE (original Foxborough).  Indy was lame.  No real tailgating, mostly people hanging out at bars paying bar prices so no one was getting hammered.  KC was nice but comparing a Bills tailgate to a Chiefs tailgate is like comparing a frat party to a backyard family BBQ.  And they drink in NE.  My nephew from RI goes to pats games and he drinks.  A lot.

3.  My personal tradition of a 40oz genny screamer to christen the tailgate spanned winning and losing.  Can't say I drank more or less depending on whether they were winning or losing and I was around for both the good years in the early 90's and the not so good years that followed.  Full disclosure ... starting with a 12oz screamer is about all I can stomach now before switching to something else.  Screamers, brats, and wings can lead to a perfect storm.

Not sure my point with all this reminiscing other than thinking the article was way off the mark.  Maybe it's time for a beer.

Hands down the drunkest fan base I ever saw was Packers fans at home games in Milwaukee in the 90’s. Those cats could drink, and the beer prices in the stadium were so low that the drinking didn’t slow down during the game. 

As for Arrowhead.... saw the craziest parking lot event in my life there. Chiefs/Raiders.... They torched a Raiders fans car in the lot with road flares. 😯 

Ok, here is the reasoning.

7 am to 12:30 pm

beer costs $0.05 per oz

Bourbon costs $1.00 per shot

As of Tom Donahoe era paying customer passes through army of security, pat downs, no bags and no hidden cans in your pant legs, inside your hat, inside the hood of your coat, no flasks, 

12:30pm to 3:00pm

Beer costs $1:25 per oz

Bourbon not served to cheap seats.

So my guess is the study in Buffalo only takes in pregame or we would be number 1. 

• Like (+1) 2

The hysterical thing about this is that these folk who did the study seem to have forgotten that humans throughout our history of alcohol production enjoy being in an altered state on a regular basis, as well, look at the amount of alcohol that is purchased in America alone, it’s “ inconceivable “ that those doing the study haven’t figured out that a large amount of said alcohol is consumed in a variety of normal ceremonies such as sporting events, hitting the pub after work, just about any gathering of friends / family,  the whole bloody world gets a buzz on in a like manner... this is absolutely nothing new in any way shape or form. Although this “study”  will generate a lot of clicks, to the benefit of the web site, it will likely be misused in the future.