The offseason sure is a lot more fun when you have a quarterback!

Logic

I was reading Peter King's Football Morning in America column today, which you can read here:

20 QB Decisions shaping This NFL offseason

The majority of the article is about the unprecedented musical chairs going on in the NFL this offseason. The opening paragraphs really caught my eye:

There has never been an offseason like this one, which sets up a draft the likes of which we’ve never seen. Never has there been such a league-wide gold rush for quarterbacks. Never has the draft gone 1-2-3-4 with quarterbacks at the top. But with the assurance now that the top three picks will be, and the real chance that Atlanta at four could pick a quarterback, we might be witnessing draft history. And I doubt this will be the last time that so many quarterbacks go so high in a draft.

“I have never seen quarterbacks get pushed up in the draft the way they’re getting pushed up this year,” said one middle-aged coach whose team is in the market to draft a quarterback this year. “Trevor Lawrence deserves to be the number one pick, but after that, in my book, there’s three receivers, a tight end and two offensive tackles ahead of the next quarterback. But this desperation for quarterbacks . . .”

Say no more. A few reasons. “In a league that has veered dramatically toward the passing game and toward three and four-receiver sets, it makes sense the quarterback becomes more in demand,” said Greg Cosell, a maestro at tape study. “You need a really good quarterback to play the game that exists now. It leads to the need, and sometimes the desperation, of trying to find ‘that guy.’ “

Reading about all the QB volatility and the way in which QBs are pushed way up the draft board these days...I couldn't help but be really, really thankful that for the first time in a quarter century, the Bills can watch all the craziness from the sidelines. We've got our guy! It took a bunch of wheeling and dealing by Brandon Beane and a real daring roll of the dice on a gifted but flawed prospect, but we succeeded! We can sit out the annual quarterback sweepstakes!

For the first time in my adult, football watching life, the Bills quarterback situation is secure for the present and future (assuming a contract extension, which I view as an inevitability).

The offseason sure is a lot more fun when you already have a franchise quarterback!

And now, back to chuckling at Jets fans for having to talk themselves into being okay with the fact that they screwed up their chance at Trevor Lawrence 😆

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I have often wondered why the league does not put more emphasis on QB development. I think every team should have to carry one QB prospect on the P.S. at all times. Additionally, the league could do more to sponsor QB development in the offseason.

Finally, maybe the rules have swung too far towards the passing game. The rules have made RB’s almost irrelevant in the modern NFL. It has taken away from the game and strategy in my opinion.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 4

25 minutes ago, Logic said:

I was reading Peter King's Football Morning in America column today, which you can read here:

The majority of the article is about the unprecedented musical chairs going on in the NFL this offseason. The opening paragraphs really caught my eye:

There has never been an offseason like this one, which sets up a draft the likes of which we’ve never seen. Never has there been such a league-wide gold rush for quarterbacks. Never has the draft gone 1-2-3-4 with quarterbacks at the top. But with the assurance now that the top three picks will be, and the real chance that Atlanta at four could pick a quarterback, we might be witnessing draft history. And I doubt this will be the last time that so many quarterbacks go so high in a draft.

“I have never seen quarterbacks get pushed up in the draft the way they’re getting pushed up this year,” said one middle-aged coach whose team is in the market to draft a quarterback this year. “Trevor Lawrence deserves to be the number one pick, but after that, in my book, there’s three receivers, a tight end and two offensive tackles ahead of the next quarterback. But this desperation for quarterbacks . . .”

Say no more. A few reasons. “In a league that has veered dramatically toward the passing game and toward three and four-receiver sets, it makes sense the quarterback becomes more in demand,” said Greg Cosell, a maestro at tape study. “You need a really good quarterback to play the game that exists now. It leads to the need, and sometimes the desperation, of trying to find ‘that guy.’ “

Reading about all the QB volatility and the way in which QBs are pushed way up the draft board these days...I couldn't help but be really, really thankful that for the first time in a quarter century, the Bills can watch all the craziness from the sidelines. We've got our guy! It took a bunch of wheeling and dealing by Brandon Beane and a real daring roll of the dice on a gifted but flawed prospect, but we succeeded! We can sit out the annual quarterback sweepstakes!

For the first time in my adult, football watching life, the Bills quarterback situation is secure for the present and future (assuming a contract extension, which I view as an inevitability).

The offseason sure is a lot more fun when you already have a franchise quarterback!

And now, back to chuckling at Jets fans for having to talk themselves into being okay with the fact that they screwed up their chance at Trevor Lawrence 😆

This guy is missing the point.  Probably Vic Fangio...

I think it’s more relaxing. I wouldn’t say it’s more fun.

In a sick and twisted way, I find the optimism and process of going through GM and HC changes and going into the draft with a top pick to go after a QB more fun. 

Edited by Bangarang
  • Like (+1) 3

34 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

In a sick and twisted way, I find the optimism and process of going through GM and HC changes and going into the draft with a top pick to go after a QB more fun. 

Winning the offseason definitely had its appeal year after year during the drought. If only the heroic marches to 7-9 finishes were as fun! :doh:

I’m sure we’ll all adjust just fine watching what Beane does with routine picks near 30! :thumbsup:

41 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

😳

well, we’ve certainly had more than our fair share of experience in this.. 🤦‍♂️

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Winning the offseason definitely had its appeal year after year during the drought. If only the heroic marches to 7-9 finishes were as fun! :doh:

I’m sure we’ll all adjust just fine watching what Beane does with routine picks near 30! :thumbsup:

Was exciting yes, but still I always had that "we just need a decent dammit QB" noise in my ear lol. Was awesome when they landed Mario that year, made it hopeful more. But as always for the longest time, did not get the most important QB

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Don’t get me wrong, I certainly wouldn’t trade our situation for a team with a new HC and no answer at QB. 

1 minute ago, Chandler#81 said:

😳

well, we’ve certainly had more than our fair share of experience in this.. 🤦‍♂️

Agreed. We’ve had our fair share of “fun”. I’ll gladly take the offseason of boredom when we have a great team led by an elite QB. 

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

Yes it is... especially when he's coming off the season he just had. 

Yeah that's the right word for it exactly. Relaxing instead of fun

Fun, like getting the same tooth extracted year after year after year after year........ 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Buffalo Boy said:

Fun, like getting the same tooth extracted year after year after year after year........ 

Dude I just had to deal with a tooth issue. OMG man, was so painful I couldn't think, stand at times. Was really the worst tooth ache I have ever experienced in my entire 41 years. Seriously, my eyes teared up at times and wanted to cry like a B word.

And I hate going to dentist because had a bad experience when was a young boy and dentist I had liked to inflict pain, especially on kids. He ended up getting in trouble and whatnot. But anyways, due to that it has to be VERY serious and hurting to the point where I'm nearly about to pass out for me to go to a dentist lol

Yes I'll take a damn good QB for the next 10+ years thankyou very much over the fun, every time.

Another bonus of having a QB when it comes to the draft (these days) is that premium talent in other positions fall down the board as QB needy teams over stretch to find 'the guy'.

Here's hoping one of those premium talents fall all the way to 30. At CB or DE please!

Personally, I'm frequenting Patriots boards more & thoroughly enjoying watching that fanbase go through the same hand-wringing at this time of year that we went through for 2+ decades.  Is this guy really good, what if that guy goes before this guy.  Should we trade up....all of it.

And we already know QB's are overvalued in the draft. The reasons are obvious, but that doesn't change the fact that MOST of the high QB picks in a given draft simply will not pan out.

I mean - who can forget when we took EJ, and everyone was trying to decide if it would be better to take Geno Smith or Nassib?  Glennon even worked his way into some of the conversation.

Yes; it is great to have Allen.

• Like (+1) 1

What most other teams have to do is like a gambler putting his house, all his money, and his car on the line for a bet, and he won't find out if that bet paid off for two or three years.  In the meantime he might see some new attractive wagers, but he can't put anything down on them because he needs whatever cash he has left to pay rent and buy groceries.

The Bills did this, and won big.  Did Miami, when it picked Tua?  No one seems sure.  The Jets picked a very good prospect in Sam Darnold, and ruined him.  The Cardinals picked a very good prospect in Josh Rosen, and ruined him.  Most young QBs get ruined this way, so it's a gamble for them too, one they really have no control over.  

If Josh Allen didn't work out, Beane would have set the franchise back by at least five years.  We'd be back looking for cast-offs or limited-talent guys or lower first round picks, spinning our wheels.   Beane would be working somewhere else, and so would McDermott.  It's almost impossible to overstate how important and significant it was that Allen works so hard in the offseasons to improve his game.  

1 hour ago, Logic said:

It IS a weird feeling.

So many offseasons on the treadmill of futility.

Just wondering what moves our Bills would make to at least try to match up better against the Patriots and pull off their usual average .500 record.

I gave up hope that we would make another playoff in my lifetime let alone have an exciting QB and offense.

9 minutes ago, Brennan Huff said:

We might also have the best back up QB in the league. What a time to be alive

Maybe, but I will say I feel a lot better about MT than Barkley if (god forbid and knock on wood) Allen is out for a game or 2. Actually feel A LOT better about it.

• Like (+1) 1