Vacations/Trips For 2021

Halloween Land

Wife and I had to cancel our trip to Jamaica last summer for our 10th anniversary.  We’re both uncomfortable with international travel right now, but are considering other options.  My folks are going to take the kids for a week, so we are looking at some “low key” beach options.  

I found a really nice resort in Deerfield Beach, FL.  7 nights in a “deluxe” oceanfront room plus round trip airfare for the both of us for just over $2600. Prices are crazy cheap right now.

We are also entertaining the option of doing a road trip.  Map out 3 or 4 different destinations and just hit the road and stay 1-2 nights at each place.  

We’re also renting a lake house on Saranac Lake with my sister and her family in early August, and we’ll most likely take the kids to Wells Beach in Maine for 3-4 days at some point.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Who's got $$$$$ to do such bougie things?  😆🤣😂

Things are really gonna suck when it opens up.  Who wants to deal with a sea of humanity?  /smh

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/introverts-are-dreading-a-return-to-the-noise-crowds-and-small-talk-of-normal-life/2021/04/09/386006b0-987b-11eb-b28d-bfa7bb5cb2a5_story.html?outputType=amp

Looking at going to Bali and island hopping around Indonesia around Xmas time.  Flights and hotels are cheap right now but I won't book anything that isn't fully refundable.  

I'd like to do a long-weekend in Mexico City soon but not sure how feasible that is with my wife's schedule.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

we're always up in the thousand islands 5-6 times every summer.  we'll go to lake george, and i think we're going with friends who have young kids to a camp ground that's specifically set up for kids.  the summer is one of the few times i like to stay in ny.  there's a ton to do around here.

we're not going to take our first big trip until next winter.  we already booked it, so well in in turks and caicos.  we're on one of those resorts that you can pass you kids off at day camp while you sit at the beach.  this will be my first sitting around trip in years.

On vacation in Kauai right now. We both were able to get vaccinated early but not because we met the initial age criteria. But that’s a topic for another thread. Early planning for Europe in the fall but waiting for vaccine passport info.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Been on a pretty strict/responsible lockdown since March 2020.

Now that my wife and I are fully vaccinated, and the vaccination rate is promising, we're making plans.

We have a trip to St Thomas booked for this July. And I am fully expecting to be at some combination of the Home Opener/New Orleans/Tampa Bay games.

• Like (+1) 1

I think the research is still being done on how long the vaccine lasts— but most things I have read say at least 6 months. So you’d think people may want to be cramming a Lot of trips within the next 6 months or so. 

I know we are heading to Colorado for a week— But would like to do something else, like maybe Acadia. 

1 hour ago, Mr Info said:

Early planning for Europe in the fall but waiting for vaccine passport info.

I was planning to do a few nights in Amsterdam with my girlfriend and a few nights in Prague with my best friend but the uncertainty on whether I'll need to be vaccinated means we might just scrap it until 2022.

I'm only 32 and not at risk so I might not get both doses until much later in the year. At this point, I'll settle for being able to spend any time I can with my girlfriend, we haven't seen each other since March last year.

• Sad 1

I was supposed to go to a family this past weekend but I haven't gotten a vaccine yet so elected to stay home due to the red tape involved for a three day weekend. Now my dad is stuck in Fort Lauderdale because of lack of flights until Friday. My wife has been working the phones trying to find him a flight and no go so far. 

Not really.  My idea is to head to WNY this summer after I get vaccinated.  My mom's 95th was last August and I missed it due to the NY quarantine.  I still have my SW ticket which is good for two more years but I need to see the Young Lady while she's still around.  

• Like (+1) 4

Returning to Buffalo in May for the first time since December 2019.

Driving my kids out to Denver in late June, and then 3 nights camping at Rocky Mountain NP. Can't wait to actually use my 4Runner for what it was built for out there. 

This summer is going to be a bleepshow in this country.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 4/12/2021 at 12:00 PM, teef said:

we're always up in the thousand islands 5-6 times every summer.  we'll go to lake george, and i think we're going with friends who have young kids to a camp ground that's specifically set up for kids.  the summer is one of the few times i like to stay in ny.  there's a ton to do around here.

we're not going to take our first big trip until next winter.  we already booked it, so well in in turks and caicos.  we're on one of those resorts that you can pass you kids off at day camp while you sit at the beach.  this will be my first sitting around trip in years.

I can’t really say why, but our Thousand Island vacation as a kid has always stuck out to me. We stayed at some old place on the Canadian side with a golf course, ping pong and lemonade in a giant bowl in the recreation area. Beautiful area! The things that amaze kids....

Our fall European cruise has been moved to next spring. In a couple weeks we head to Asheville, NC for our son’s “public wedding” at the Grove Park Inn after a small family event in Sarasota last summer. We have 3 weeks at a nice house in the Boone/Blowing Rock area in July/August to celebrate the wife’s birthday ending in a zero. 

I’m hoping for the Bills home opener with the family, and very excited about the Bills in Nashville. I expect to be at both of those. 

After more than a year of ZERO travel (barely leaving the house!), the wife went to Pennsylvania for her niece’s wedding last weekend, and is scheduled to start going back to NYC for work in May. Hopefully on a much more limited basis than what it used to be. She sent pics of the ATL airport last weekend, it was packed!

Strange times.....

EDIT: As a PSA, be careful if you plan to use UBER in your travels. It’s not what it used to be! I have been told no cars were available on a couple occasions last weekend (first time I ever saw THAT!), and had to walk 3-4 miles home after a trip to meet a friend where I knew drinks would be involved. You might get there, but be stuck on the way home.  PLUS, the typical cost is at least triple what it used to be. Just a heads up! I hope it’s better where you may be, and I pray it goes back to the way it used to be. Practical and affordable. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Irv said:

Two fishing trips.  In May going to Punta Gorda, FL for Tarpon.  In August going to Soldatna, AK for salmon.

We did Tarpon fishing in Boca Grande when we lived in Sarasota, Florida. Quite an experience! Had my two teenage sons with us, but I hooked the tarpon. What a friggin’ battle! My biceps were BURNING! Both boys wanted to take over, and they were much better equipped! One benched over 400 lbs and the other placed 5th in the state weight lifting as a senior in HS. Had I been with either one, I’d gladly have handed it off! BUT, you can’t do for one what you don’t do for the other, so I battled on.....

When I finally got that thing up by the boat I realized exactly what king of monstrous  beast we were dealing with! I wanted no part of that guy! We got him up, they cut him loose, and my arms hurt for days......

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.