Devin Singletary - Will he be playing for the Bills this year?

Estro

4 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Every player is limited. The perfect player has yet to be invented. The question is whether he's effective. Singletary is effective.

He has hurt teams outside at times, with moves, but you're right that he doesn't have the kind of speed that makes him a home run threat.

It just seems far too often when he tries to bounce outside the tackle and someone just grabs his shoe and drops him.

8 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Mango, respectfully, we’ve filled holes effectively in FA and the draft.  Absolutely Addison, Jefferson, we’re underwhelming, but Morse, Feliciano, D. Williams, and so on were effective adds.  Diggs was a hit.Brown in 19 and Beasely overall were solid.  Hyde and Poyer have been fantastic as a tandem.

White, Edmunds, and Milano have all worked out as well as Dawkins, and after three years Allen.  I realize the 17 draft was before Beane by a week.

In perspective, this is a very good team, one of the most talented in the NFL and went 15-4 with a relatively difficult schedule.  We definitely need to improve to win the Championship, and there is no chance Beane drops Singletary as a rookie contract.  He may be dropped to the third position, but he’s cheap labor.  RB’s get hurt more than a lot of other positions.  

Like most, I was very disappointed in Singletary’s performance this year as his rookie year was solid, but his trade value is almost nothing.  

I was speaking specifically to the first sentence, which was that the draft will be focused on defense. My issue with that is is we have focused a ton on defense with high draft picks and huge allocations for the cap.

In regards to LB working out, I sort of agree. It isn’t a bad unit. But I am not sure we will get enough value moving forward. Edmunds is projecting to get $15M. Between Edmunds and Milano, that would make that group something like the 5th highest paid unit in the league. But they’re nowhere near the 5th best unit. 

I don’t think they cut Singletary. But I do think there is a chance they trade him on draft day. 

3 minutes ago, Mango said:

I was speaking specifically to the first sentence, which was that the draft will be focused on defense. My issue with that is is we have focused a ton on defense with high draft picks and huge allocations for the cap.

In regards to LB working out, I sort of agree. It isn’t a bad unit. But I am not sure we will get enough value moving forward. Edmunds is projecting to get $15M. Between Edmunds and Milano, that would make that group something like the 5th highest paid unit in the league. But they’re nowhere near the 5th best unit. 

I don’t think they cut Singletary. But I do think there is a chance they trade him on draft day. 

Fair enough friend.  Don’t forget Milano had a Spotrac value of $13.75 mil. and took $11 mil. If, big if he plays the whole season.  Sal broke that down he could get less if he has another season missing several games.  As far as motor, which I hate saying at this point, I just don’t see a taker.  You’re right if we draft someone he definitely could be on the block, but someone has to want him.  The question is who.  I guess what teams desperately need a RB, that would help our draft position.  The only one I can think of is Pittsburgh, but do they value motor to trade from 24 to 30, and what do we have to give back.  They need linemen desperately.  They lost three.  I don’t see that happening, but they need help for Big Ben.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Mango, respectfully, we’ve filled holes effectively in FA and the draft.  Absolutely Addison, Jefferson, we’re underwhelming, but Morse, Feliciano, D. Williams, and so on were effective adds.  Diggs was a hit.Brown in 19 and Beasely overall were solid.  Hyde and Poyer have been fantastic as a tandem.

White, Edmunds, and Milano have all worked out as well as Dawkins, and after three years Allen.  I realize the 17 draft was before Beane by a week.

In perspective, this is a very good team, one of the most talented in the NFL and went 15-4 with a relatively difficult schedule.  We definitely need to improve to win the Championship, and there is no chance Beane drops Singletary as a rookie contract.  He may be dropped to the third position, but he’s cheap labor.  RB’s get hurt more than a lot of other positions.  

Like most, I was very disappointed in Singletary’s performance this year as his rookie year was solid, but his trade value is almost nothing.  

I'm going to disagree with you here. If Singletary drops to third string, and If they draft Najee Harris, or if they pick up a decent power back/downhill runner in FA, then what? Would they keep five RBs? Who else would they drop? (Assuming special-teamer Jones is safe.) Doubt it. I know that's a lot of "ifs," but none of them are entirely unlikely "ifs." JMO. 

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

I'm going to disagree with you here. If Singletary drops to third string, and If they draft Najee Harris, or if they pick up a decent power back/downhill runner in FA, then what? Would they keep five RBs? Who else would they drop? (Assuming special-teamer Jones is safe.) Doubt it. I know that's a lot of "ifs," but none of them are entirely unlikely "ifs." JMO. 

Rock, I just don’t see anyone considering him an add at draft day after last year.  He’s not that valuable on the trade market.  That’s all.

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

Fair enough friend.  Don’t forget Milano had a Spotrac value of $13.75 mil. and took $11 mil. If, big if he plays the whole season.  Sal broke that down he could get less if he has another season missing several games.  As far as motor, which I hate saying at this point, I just don’t see a taker.  You’re right if we draft someone he definitely could be on the block, but someone has to want him.  The question is who.  I guess what teams desperately need a RB, that would help our draft position.  The only one I can think of is Pittsburgh, but do they value motor to trade from 24 to 30, and what do we have to give back.  They need linemen desperately.  They lost three.  I don’t see that happening, but they need help for Big Ben.

52 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

I am not sure Singletary has much of a value as a pick alone. I think he might get some utility in navigating up in a round. Say the Bills want to move from 93 to 87 in the 3rd to get ahead of Cleveland. Singletary might be work the 7 spots there depending on what Pittsburgh's board looks like. 

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

Rock, I just don’t see anyone considering him an add at draft day after last year.  He’s not that valuable on the trade market.  That’s all.

1 hour ago, Mango said:

I am not sure Singletary has much of a value as a pick alone. I think he might get some utility in navigating up in a round. Say the Bills want to move from 93 to 87 in the 3rd to get ahead of Cleveland. Singletary might be work the 7 spots there depending on what Pittsburgh's board looks like. 

I'm looking forward to next season. I certainly doubt Motor will be traded going into the draft, and I agree he's not going to be much of a factor in draft trade negotiations. But, imagine we go into TC with a RB room that includes Breida, Motor, Moss, and Najee Harris (not to mention Jones, Williams, and Wade). I have a hard time believing that Motor is safe in that scenario. 

In fact, even if we don't draft an RB, and go into TC with the current roster at RB, is it outside the realm of possibility that Antonio Williams, who is 10+ lbs heavier than any other RB on the roster, and showed out well in the few touches he got, could establish himself as the downhill powerback that we lacked last season?

Bottom line: Motor should be feeling a bit of pressure right about now.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 4/11/2021 at 5:42 PM, Estro said:

Was listening to spotrac's most recent podcast w/ Mike Ginnitti & he casually mentioned he thinks Singletary is a trade candidate this offseason maybe even draft weekend.  Normally I'd just pass this off as speculation, but in listening to Ginnitti over the past few months it's pretty clear that he's got some connections.

He was talking about Trubisky possibly signing as a backup in Buffalo a few days before it happened. It seems a lot of his "ideas" on his podcast seem to come true, which makes it must listen for me.

He also mentioned that Breida might be viewed as a starter in Buffalo, which I found interesting. 

I happen to like the idea of trading Singletary because I just dont think he does anything well enough to not want to replace.  I'm not sure he'd be worth much of anything & I think the Bills would be fortunate to get anything more than a future 6th-7th rounder for him.

Just found it interesting that he casually mentioned Singletary as a trade candidate......after hearing it from his lips I now fully expect Singletary to be moved.

Hopefully it's a lesson learned for the Bills to stop blowing valuable top 100 draft picks on replacement level RBs.

The only way I think Devin would be a trade candidate is if either one of Antonio Williams or Christian Wade stand out and make a big case for the active roster.  

Breida has had injury issues and Moss is coming off one himself.  Meanwhile Devin has done well and stayed on the field mostly.  

I personally don’t get the amount of heat Devin takes around here.  His career YPC is very good, and he is elusive.  Our run scheme is a much bigger issue than our RBs are in terms of rush yardage production.  We are a pass first team and constantly running out of unconventional formations and our OL was terrible at run blocking out of these schemes last year.

Im not saying Devin is like a top tier RB, but the kid has been effective and I’ve watched him pick up first downs and big chunk plays where most RBs would have lost yardage.  

He may not have elite speed, but he is very elusive and that impacts positive gains a lot more than straight line speed which is HIGHLY dependent on run blocking.

I honestly feel like the Devin heat got turned up around here substantially because of the big screen drop he had in the playoffs.  But a lot of players made a lot more mistakes than him that game that led to our demise.  If he catches that screen it doesn’t change the outcome even if he scores.  We literally could not remotely cover Hill and Kelce, and we were utterly dominated in the trenches...there was just no way we were going to win that way regardless of that play.

So for me...I can see Devin potentially being expendable if they feel that AW or Wade has earned themselves a spot and want one on the active roster. Otherwise, we are gonna roll with the trio of Devin, Moss, and Breida this year IMHO.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

The only way I think Devin would be a trade candidate is if either one of Antonio Williams or Christian Wade stand out and make a big case for the active roster.  

Breida has had injury issues and Moss is coming off one himself.  Meanwhile Devin has done well and stayed on the field mostly.  

I personally don’t get the amount of heat Devin takes around here.  His career YPC is very good, and he is elusive.  Our run scheme is a much bigger issue than our RBs are in terms of rush yardage production.  We are a pass first team and constantly running out of unconventional formations and our OL was terrible at run blocking out of these schemes last year.

Im not saying Devin is like a top tier RB, but the kid has been effective and I’ve watched him pick up first downs and big chunk plays where most RBs would have lost yardage.  

He may not have elite speed, but he is very elusive and that impacts positive gains a lot more than straight line speed which is HIGHLY dependent on run blocking.

I honestly feel like the Devin heat got turned up around here substantially because of the big screen drop he had in the playoffs.  But a lot of players made a lot more mistakes than him that game that led to our demise.  If he catches that screen it doesn’t change the outcome even if he scores.  We literally could not remotely cover Hill and Kelce, and we were utterly dominated in the trenches...there was just no way we were going to win that way regardless of that play.

So for me...I can see Devin potentially being expendable if they feel that AW or Wade has earned themselves a spot and want one on the active roster. Otherwise, we are gonna roll with the trio of Devin, Moss, and Breida this year IMHO.

This is all a perfectly reasonable take. But, personally, my own misgivings about Singletary don't stem from that play. I had forgotten all about that play until you brought it up.

My thoughts are where Singletary currently sits on the depth chart. Moss has proven himself to be an exceptional blocker in pass protection. Considering our pass-heavy offense, that probably puts him on the field more than any other RB on the roster. And, in an open competition, who wins the role of feature back? If it's Breida (and I suspect it will be), where does that put Motor? And if they decide that they want a heavier, downhill powerback (Antonio Williams? Najee Harris? Some other FA?), and they don't think Moss fits that bill, then where does that place Singletary? 

Honestly, I think you're probably right: Breida, Moss, Devin (and Jones for ST) will probably make up the RB room. But, I think those in this thread who are stating that there's "no way" Motor is cut are off the mark. There are plenty of reasonable scenarios where, come September, Motor ends up redundant on this offense, and being a third-round pick on a rookie contract ain't gonna save him from that.

The Bills run blocking was terrible. In yards before contact per rushing attempt they were 31st in the league. 

The things they were good at, yards after contact per carry (tied for 2nd) and breaking tackles (10th in %); were entirely attributable to the running backs.

From 2nd last in yards before contact to 2nd best in yards after, it's pretty obvious what the run game lacks. I'm not saying Singletary and Moss are the answer at running back, I think that remains to be seen. I'm saying the Bills run blocking is practically the worst in the league and for me that's where it starts.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2020/advanced.htm

Edited by Turk71
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rocky Landing said:

This is all a perfectly reasonable take. But, personally, my own misgivings about Singletary don't stem from that play. I had forgotten all about that play until you brought it up.

My thoughts are where Singletary currently sits on the depth chart. Moss has proven himself to be an exceptional blocker in pass protection. Considering our pass-heavy offense, that probably puts him on the field more than any other RB on the roster. And, in an open competition, who wins the role of feature back? If it's Breida (and I suspect it will be), where does that put Motor? And if they decide that they want a heavier, downhill powerback (Antonio Williams? Najee Harris? Some other FA?), and they don't think Moss fits that bill, then where does that place Singletary? 

Honestly, I think you're probably right: Breida, Moss, Devin (and Jones for ST) will probably make up the RB room. But, I think those in this thread who are stating that there's "no way" Motor is cut are off the mark. There are plenty of reasonable scenarios where, come September, Motor ends up redundant on this offense, and being a third-round pick on a rookie contract ain't gonna save him from that.

Reasonable reply yourself, but my only thing I would strongly disagree is the idea that Devin could be "cut".  Nothing is impossible, but given Beanes ability to get draft assets for players who really are fringe roster players at best, there is just no way he doesn't trade Devin at that point and get some value back.  Not saying you are suggesting he could be cut, your response was a little vague in that retrospect.  But I have seen others say it before, and your reply kind of left room for that possibility.  

I dont think its impossible Devin could be traded though, but again, its only if we either A) Draft someone in first 2 rounds (highly doubt it though) or B) AW or Wade comes out and impresses enough to earn a full time roster spot.  If either of those 2 scenarios do not happen, then Devin becomes a virtual lock for the roster.  However, if either of them happen, he is 100% going to be on the hot seat and need to turn some heads and fight for his spot here.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/11/2021 at 8:42 PM, Estro said:

Was listening to spotrac's most recent podcast w/ Mike Ginnitti & he casually mentioned he thinks Singletary is a trade candidate this offseason maybe even draft weekend.  Normally I'd just pass this off as speculation, but in listening to Ginnitti over the past few months it's pretty clear that he's got some connections.

He was talking about Trubisky possibly signing as a backup in Buffalo a few days before it happened. It seems a lot of his "ideas" on his podcast seem to come true, which makes it must listen for me.

He also mentioned that Breida might be viewed as a starter in Buffalo, which I found interesting. 

I happen to like the idea of trading Singletary because I just dont think he does anything well enough to not want to replace.  I'm not sure he'd be worth much of anything & I think the Bills would be fortunate to get anything more than a future 6th-7th rounder for him.

Just found it interesting that he casually mentioned Singletary as a trade candidate......after hearing it from his lips I now fully expect Singletary to be moved.

Hopefully it's a lesson learned for the Bills to stop blowing valuable top 100 draft picks on replacement level RBs.

Don't know what you got til it's gone.

• Like (+1) 1