Devin Singletary - Will he be playing for the Bills this year?

Estro

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So who of those guys would you class as an elite or even a top back, in those years?

Really?  How and when did they do that?

I doan think so Ceesco.

I don't think Moss is that quick to hit the hole.

Check thread titled "This Just in - Good Analysis of Moss & Singletary in 2020" The video is a pretty good watch.  I think so Cheeko....😄

The problem with Moss, he was hitting his hole before it opened up. Blocking scheme did change though, to accommodate his running style.

Edited by Rockinon

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Quick.  Name the starting RBs on the Patriots 6 SB victories.  For that matter, name the starting RBs on their 9 most recent SB appearances.

I can't name all of them, but a couple of these are easy. Ex-Bill Antowain Smith was the lead back for the first couple, and then Corey Dillon had monster season in 2004. First round pick Sony Michel had a great postseason run in 2018 too to go along with a strong rookie season. And there's always Legarrette Blount, who led the league in rushing TDs in 2016 and steamrolled the Bills a couple of times in the mid-2010s.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1

Kinda hard for me to think DS won't be a Bills this upcoming season. I mean he was a 3rd round pick and had a great year prior. I don't really count last season much due to the fact that all Bills RB's had a tough season. Not all on them either with bad blocking/scheme etc. Also Bills obviously didn't run very much at all last year. 

Hopefully all the RB's will have a big improvement this time around. In any event, I'd say I feel very confident he will be a Bill this year, also will say I think he ends up with similar numbers as he did the year before.

Edited by Patrick_Duffy
  • Agree 1

49 minutes ago, Boxcar said:

How is Breida similar to the other two in any way?

They all do best running to the side, and finding a hole. None of them are a true power back (Moss would be the closest thing). They had very similar production last season-- 4.3-4.4 ypc. They're all within 10 lbs, and 3" of each other. Certainly, Breida is the fastest. What sets them apart, IMO, is Breida's acceleration, and Moss's low center, and blocking ability. Would love to have a true power back.

No way. A competent RB on his cheap rookie contract is not getting cut or traded.

Motor could stand to be better in pass blocking, which is the area where Moss is clearly better.  But as far as rushing the ball goes, they're both fine.  In a different offense not built around the passing game, either of them would be 1000 yard backs.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rocky Landing said:

They all do best running to the side, and finding a hole. None of them are a true power back (Moss would be the closest thing). They had very similar production last season-- 4.3-4.4 ypc. They're all within 10 lbs, and 3" of each other. Certainly, Breida is the fastest. What sets them apart, IMO, is Breida's acceleration, and Moss's low center, and blocking ability. Would love to have a true power back.

One of Singletary's best skills is reading holes and waiting for openings. He doesn't excel running outside at all. Both backs are much better blockers than Breida, and Breida is a better receiving target. He also has the speed to beat the defense to the outside that Moss and Singletary don't possess.

They fill completely different roles.

8 minutes ago, Boxcar said:

One of Singletary's best skills is reading holes and waiting for openings. He doesn't excel running outside at all. Both backs are much better blockers than Breida, and Breida is a better receiving target. He also has the speed to beat the defense to the outside that Moss and Singletary don't possess.

They fill completely different roles.

"...completely different roles." I certainly don't agree with that.

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Quick.  Name the starting RBs on the Patriots 6 SB victories.  For that matter, name the starting RBs on their 9 most recent SB appearances.

I think Daboll is more flexible than you give him credit for, and at this point has earned enough respect that he can influence the active roster.

I do think that having Taiwan Jones as a primarily ST guy and one active WR as a primarily ST guy limits us quite a bit, and I don't see us moving away from that.

That’s easy.

Antoine Smith

4 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

I can't name all of them, but a couple of these are easy. Ex-Bill Antowain Smith was the lead back for the first couple, and then Corey Dillon had monster season in 2004. First round pick Sony Michel had a great postseason run in 2018 too to go along with a strong rookie season. And there's always Legarrette Blount, who led the league in rushing TDs in 2016 and steamrolled the Bills a couple of times in the mid-2010s.

Good call, It’s true the Pats didn’t have superstar running backs, but they all contributed nicely to those teams. They were guys who fit the offense, and could make plays when needed. Moss and Singletary might be able to do so under the proper circumstances. The worry some have is the fact that Singletary and Moss play like they have led feet with absolutely no play making ability. I can’t name all the Pats dynasty running backs, but I know they always had someone on the roster who could break a big play. That’s what we lack in Singletary and Moss right now. 

On 4/11/2021 at 5:42 PM, Estro said:

Was listening to spotrac's most recent podcast w/ Mike Ginnitti & he casually mentioned he thinks Singletary is a trade candidate this offseason maybe even draft weekend.  Normally I'd just pass this off as speculation, but in listening to Ginnitti over the past few months it's pretty clear that he's got some connections.

He was talking about Trubisky possibly signing as a backup in Buffalo a few days before it happened. It seems a lot of his "ideas" on his podcast seem to come true, which makes it must listen for me.

He also mentioned that Breida might be viewed as a starter in Buffalo, which I found interesting. 

I happen to like the idea of trading Singletary because I just dont think he does anything well enough to not want to replace.  I'm not sure he'd be worth much of anything & I think the Bills would be fortunate to get anything more than a future 6th-7th rounder for him.

Just found it interesting that he casually mentioned Singletary as a trade candidate......after hearing it from his lips I now fully expect Singletary to be moved.

Hopefully it's a lesson learned for the Bills to stop blowing valuable top 100 draft picks on replacement level RBs.

I guess I'm in the minority but I saw special talent in Singletary as a rookie and I think we can easily regain that look. In the right scheme Singletary is a 5.? Yd/carry back on the year and that's exactly what you want. He'll get a ton of ten yards plus carries for his career, we just have to be patient and run him plus run the tight plays for him.

This Bills offense is still growing and we have to find the right run/pass ratios over a season still. We have to practice both the run and the pass to be good at both. With time, Daboll, Allen, their teammates and their coaches all working together, we can fine tune this thing to be more ready for anything. I, for one, Billieve we have enough talent at RB with the top five backs we currently are now carrying. Maybe draft another with a late round pick to combat extreme injuries.

I am also in the small percentage in thinking we do NOT have enough big talent at the WR position. We start three WRs and only one back. We currently have five interesting RBs for the mix as we plan no one back to start the season. We plan to run by committee and I wholeheartedly agree. We also plan to use three and four WR sets maybe more than any team in the league. I count three certifiable WRs on theBills roster or three WRs that can readily beat one on one coverage. The rest really cannot I don't think. If I'm in charge we have a WR by the third round absolutely and I don't blink if that's the guy in round one. We need more talent at WR for sure and definitely more than RB.

My dream offseason to come:

- Sign Ertz -we need the talent.

- Go WR, DT, CB in the first three picks of the draft. (All three positions are big needs where we can get guys that can help as rookies in this draft).

- Acquire bonafide NFL vet pass rusher (like Von Miller) prior to trade deadline. Make room in the cap and go for it!

Now we have hit all five positions this Bills team is currently weak at: DE, WR, TE, DT and CB with real solid players.

- Win SB.

- Rejoice

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/11/2021 at 10:41 PM, TheBrownBear said:

I don't think we are drafting a running back after the Breida signing.  I could see us moving Singletary during training camp if Williams flashes during camp.

That's the wild card during TC.

If they see Antonio Williams as more than a flash in the pan, Singletary could be moved during TC to a team that might need a RB. 

15 hours ago, gjv001 said:

I believe Beane's focus for this draft will be on improving the defense. That being, should two players of equal or close/equal board rating be available, the defensive player will get the nod. The one caveat, will be if Najee Harris is available at 30. I feel they will pick Harris over a closely rated defensive player. I think they like Harris enough to move up a couple spots to draft him. 

As opposed to what? 

He’s spent half of his top 100 picks on defense. He’s taken a defender either in the first round or with his first pick (Epeneza) in every draft he has run. 

We are near the very top of the league in spending for both DL and DB. 

If we extend Edmunds, we will be in the 5-10 range in spending on our LB’s. 

We have dedicated huge amounts of resources to “improving the D”. 

I like McBeane as a unit. They’ve done a great job holistically. Once we pay Allen, we absolutely cannot keep missing over and over again in FA and the draft like this. 

• Disagree 1

Mango, respectfully, we’ve filled holes effectively in FA and the draft.  Absolutely Addison, Jefferson, we’re underwhelming, but Morse, Feliciano, D. Williams, and so on were effective adds.  Diggs was a hit.Brown in 19 and Beasely overall were solid.  Hyde and Poyer have been fantastic as a tandem.

White, Edmunds, and Milano have all worked out as well as Dawkins, and after three years Allen.  I realize the 17 draft was before Beane by a week.

In perspective, this is a very good team, one of the most talented in the NFL and went 15-4 with a relatively difficult schedule.  We definitely need to improve to win the Championship, and there is no chance Beane drops Singletary as a rookie contract.  He may be dropped to the third position, but he’s cheap labor.  RB’s get hurt more than a lot of other positions.  

Like most, I was very disappointed in Singletary’s performance this year as his rookie year was solid, but his trade value is almost nothing.  

• Like (+1) 2

On 4/11/2021 at 8:44 PM, billsfan89 said:

I am 70% sure that Singletary, Moss and Breida are the RB's this team is going with. I think McBeane will focus heavily on the defense via the draft. I think 2 out of the 3 top picks will be on the defensive side of the ball and I can't see them burning a pick at RB in the first 5 rounds. I can live with the young cheap backfield. The issue this team has running is in my mind more attributed to scheme and injuries along the O-line. 

Please show your work.  I'd love to see how you cane up with "70%" 😛

18 hours ago, Ralonzo said:

Singletary gets what he can between the tackles, and he's pretty good with those quick hitters, but because he really can't threaten a team outside, he's limited.

Every player is limited. The perfect player has yet to be invented. The question is whether he's effective. Singletary is effective.

He has hurt teams outside at times, with moves, but you're right that he doesn't have the kind of speed that makes him a home run threat.

18 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Zay was tied for most targets on the team his rookie year with 74 and in his second year he increased that and led the team with 104 targets. He led the team in receptions at 56 and yards at 650 in his second year.

Are any of those great? Not really but one could argue he was showing promise. What is not in those stats though is all the drops.

All that said, I'd say there is a less than 10% chance Singletary is traded.

You don't show promise with targets. You show promise with what you do with the targets.

And producing 56 catches and 650 yards ... on 102 targets? That's not promising. It doesn't preclude great improvement later, but that's just not good.

He was 34th in the league in targets and ranked

... 58th in the league in receptions

... 61st in the league in yards.

That's not promising.

And yeah, he led the team in targets, receptions and yards but that wasn't so much promise as a complete lack of talent at receiver. The other recievers on that team were Kelvin Benjamin in pure meltdown mode, Deonte Thompson, Robert Foster the year they realized he wasn't good, Andre Holmes, Kerley was active for one game, the last game of his career, RayRay McCloud racked up 36 yards, Isaiah McKenzie with 179 yards, Cam Phillips had one reception on one target for 9 yards, Terrelle Pryor was on the team but had zero offensive snaps, and Da'Mari Scott.

Zay may have been the best of them, but that ain't murderer's row.

Agreed that the chances of a trade are quite low.

14 hours ago, Utah John said:

No way. A competent RB on his cheap rookie contract is not getting cut or traded.

Motor could stand to be better in pass blocking, which is the area where Moss is clearly better.  But as far as rushing the ball goes, they're both fine.  In a different offense not built around the passing game, either of them would be 1000 yard backs.  

Moss is really excellent at pass blocking. Singletary's not as good, but he's still quite good at it.

I would agree with the rest of your post.

I am confident Beane panicked on this pick and would love to get rid of him.

David Montgomery was the far superior prospect.  He goes right before the pick and Beane knows he needs a RB because they are getting rid of McCoy.  He takes the guy he didn't really love, because he panicked. 

Singletary just isn't very good.  From his concrete feet, to stone hands, the guy doesn't not fit in to today's NFL.

• Disagree 1