Devin Singletary - Will he be playing for the Bills this year?

Estro

He very likely will be, considering that none of our RBs are  particularly a draw for other teams, so trade value is very low for any of them. There is a very good chance that what we have is what we will go with... we just need to actually give some level of priority to the run game and we will be fine in that regard.

Edited by Don Otreply

8 hours ago, rayray808 said:

if no RB is taken in the top 29, I could see us going RB and then trading away MOSS but not Devin.

Teams would give us more for him rather than Devin

I think this is very unlikely. Moss is a much better blocker in pass pro. Much better. Even as we start running the ball more (which I believe we will) Allen's arm will still drive this offense. Whoever ends up in the RB room, and whoever ends up starting, Moss will likely be on the field more than any of them.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JaCrispy said:

This will go down as his “Ronnie Harmon” play...

Can't agree with you there. DS' drop was early in the game, lots of time left. RH's was with the game on the line. If he catches it, we move on to the AFC Championship. Also, what really pxssed me off with RH was that he didn't take responsibility. He said the pass wasn't on target. Although possibly it could have had better placement, it was in his hands, no excuse to not catch it.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, CA OC Bills Fan said:

Can't agree with you there. DS' drop was early in the game, lots of time left. RH's was with the game on the line. If he catches it, we move on to the AFC Championship. Also, what really pxssed me off with RH was that he didn't take responsibility. He said the pass wasn't on target. Although possibly it could have had better placement, it was in his hands, no excuse to not catch it.

Yeah I hear ya...I’m just frustrated because it was such a major turning point in the game...

• Like (+1) 1

IF the team moves on from Singletary it won’t be due to his contributions to the running game, but the passing game. Speculation that Moss got the bulk of the snaps at the tail end of the year due to Singletary not being a strong pass blocker or receiver out of the backfield.

14 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

I am 70% sure that Singletary, Moss and Breida are the RB's this team is going with. I think McBeane will focus heavily on the defense via the draft. I think 2 out of the 3 top picks will be on the defensive side of the ball and I can't see them burning a pick at RB in the first 5 rounds. I can live with the young cheap backfield. The issue this team has running is in my mind more attributed to scheme and injuries along the O-line. 

OK but will all three be active on Sundays?  Last year they had Singletary, Moss and Yeldon, and Yeldon only was active if one of the other two were hurt.  Is Breida that much better than Yeldon to go with all 3 active and even if you feel he is that much better, which position gets one less starting slot?

The Bills were very good on ST and had a handful of players who for the most part that's all they did, Roberts, Gillian, Jones, and Matakevich, plus Bass, Ferguson, and the punter.  That's alot of roster spots there!  Roberts is gone, but will Powell take his spot or will they double up with McKenzie, as that would save one slot.

Based on past actions, not so sure they will go with 3 active RB's on Sundays, so for that reason I do think it's feasible to trade him.

The other draft day trade I could see happening to would be H Phillips IF they draft a D lineman in 1st round.  He or maybe Zimmer are the only two I see with any trade value.  But in either case, you may likely only be getting a 5th or 6th back in return.

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

15 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Based on past actions, not so sure they will go with 3 active RB's on Sundays, so for that reason I do think it's feasible to trade him.

I looked into this earlier in the offseason and I can't remember the number of the top of my head but I looked at games with McDermott where three running backs (ie. excluding receivers running jet motion type stuff or full backs in short yardage) have had carries and it was single figures. They dress two running backs with a 3rd guy who is mainly there for teams and can carry the ball in an emergency. That is their approach. I don't expect them to deviate from it. 

11 hours ago, The Governor said:

Motor won’t be the starter when this team goes to a SB, because we won’t make it to one if he is.

Quick.  Name the starting RBs on the Patriots 6 SB victories.  For that matter, name the starting RBs on their 9 most recent SB appearances.

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

I looked into this earlier in the offseason and I can't remember the number of the top of my head but I looked at games with McDermott where three running backs (ie. excluding receivers running jet motion type stuff or full backs in short yardage) have had carries and it was single figures. They dress two running backs with a 3rd guy who is mainly there for teams and can carry the ball in an emergency. That is their approach. I don't expect them to deviate from it. 

I think Daboll is more flexible than you give him credit for, and at this point has earned enough respect that he can influence the active roster.

I do think that having Taiwan Jones as a primarily ST guy and one active WR as a primarily ST guy limits us quite a bit, and I don't see us moving away from that.

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree, and for that reason could see a trade happening if they feel Breida is worth dressing on Sundays.  IMO Williams and/or Wade as an emergency injury replacement normally inactive on Sundays makes more sense.

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Quick.  Name the starting RBs on the Patriots 6 SB victories.  For that matter, name the starting RBs on their 9 most recent SB appearances.

I think Daboll is more flexible than you give him credit for, and at this point has earned enough respect that he can make what changes he wants.

On the latter, I'm not sure how much it is in his hands. I am sure he has input into who dresses but ultimately that is McDermott's call. 

Can I have a go at the first part.... I think the answers are Sony Michel (most recent v Rams), then James White (vs Eagles), LaGarrette Blount (vs Falcons and Seahawks). I am going to guess that their first three Superbowls under Bill were all Kevin Faulk.... although stretching my memory. On the losing teams I think Stevan Ridley started the second Giants superbowl loss. First one I am struggling....

EDIT: the guesses were not designed to make any point by the way.... just an interesting trivia question!

Edited by GunnerBill

Just now, GunnerBill said:

On the latter, I'm not sure how much it is in his hands. I am sure he has input into who dresses but ultimately that is McDermott's call. 

Can I have a go at the first part.... I think the answers are Sony Michel (most recent v Rams), then James White (vs Eagles), LaGarrette Blount (vs Falcons and Seahawks). I am going to guess that their first three Superbowls under Bill were all Kevin Faulk.... although stretching my memory. On the losing teams I think Stevan Ridley started the second Giants superbowl loss. First one I am struggling....

No fair, I wanted the guy who said we couldn't get to a SB with Devin Singletary to answer.   vs Eagles with White was one of the losses though...

53 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

IF the team moves on from Singletary it won’t be due to his contributions to the running game, but the passing game. Speculation that Moss got the bulk of the snaps at the tail end of the year due to Singletary not being a strong pass blocker or receiver out of the backfield.

Totally agree.  Singletary has to step up as a pass blocker and receiver or he’s not much good to any team - particularly a team like the Bills that passes so much.  Tick tock 

I think the front office knows that Singletary is the best running back on the team at, well...running.  Buffalo's issues at rushing had very little to do with the backs themselves. The OL was banged up and they changed the blocking scheme mid season. That is where the focus will be this year. The OL is going to be getting a lot of reps for rushing the ball. This is still a passing team, but the OL is on notice. They need to run block better. Singletary isn't going anywhere, IMHO.

Midway through the season, the Bills changed the blocking scheme, because Moss is very quick to hit the hole...too quick. Singletary was better at waiting for his block, then hitting the hole. Some blocking schemes take time to develop, while others are designed for that one cut and run that Moss is used to. When people say Moss and Singletary are similar, they really don't know what they are talking about. Moss is impatient. Singletary is patient. Very different types of runners. Both are effective with the right blocking scheme.

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

No fair, I wanted the guy who said we couldn't get to a SB with Devin Singletary to answer.   vs Eagles with White was one of the losses though...

Hahah sorry. I have the correct answers now though.... I have based it on number of carries rather than strictly " who got the start."

Rams I - Antowain Smith

Panthers - Antowain Smith

Eagles I - Corey Dillon

Giants I - Laurence Maroney

Giants II - BenJarvus Green Ellis

Seahawks - LaGarrette Blount

Falcons - LaGarrette Blount

Eagles II - Dion Lewis

Rams II - Sony Michel

I should have got Smith and Dillon, of course. I wouldn't have got BenJarvus Green Ellis if I'd sat and thought about it until Christmas.

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Hahah sorry. I have the correct answers now though.... I have based it on number of carries rather than strictly " who got the start."

Rams I - Antowain Smith

Panthers - Antowain Smith

Eagles I - Corey Dillon

Giants I - Laurence Maroney

Giants II - BenJarvus Green Ellis

Seahawks - LaGarrette Blount

Falcons - LaGarrette Blount

Eagles II - Dion Lewis

Rams II - Sony Michel

I should have got Smith and Dillon, of course. I wouldn't have got BenJarvus Green Ellis if I'd sat and thought about it until Christmas.

So who of those guys would you class as an elite or even a top back, in those years?

16 minutes ago, Rockinon said:

I think the front office knows that Singletary is the best running back on the team at, well...running.  Buffalo's issues at rushing had very little to do with the backs themselves. The OL was banged up and they changed the blocking scheme mid season. That is where the focus will be this year. The OL is going to be getting a lot of reps for rushing the ball. This is still a passing team, but the OL is on notice. They need to run block better. Singletary isn't going anywhere, IMHO.

Midway through the season, the Bills changed the blocking scheme, because Moss is very quick to hit the hole...too quick. Singletary was better at waiting for his block, then hitting the hole. Some blocking schemes take time to develop, while others are designed for that one cut and run that Moss is used to. When people say Moss and Singletary are similar, they really don't know what they are talking about. Moss is impatient. Singletary is patient. Very different types of runners. Both are effective with the right blocking scheme.

Really?  How and when did they do that?

I doan think so Ceesco.

I don't think Moss is that quick to hit the hole.

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So who of those guys would you class as an elite or even a top back, in those years?

Probably Dillon. He is a Hall of Very Good player in my book. Smith might have had 1,000 yards once for the Pats maybe? But he was never a top back. None of the others.

I think your point is right. I just thought it was good Monday afternoon trivia.

Edited by GunnerBill

14 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

With Breida, Singletary, and Moss, the Bills have three very similar style, and size RBs. What we lack is a true power back, although Moss would be the closest thing to that in this trio. Moss is also an exceptional blocker-- much better than Singletary in that department. Breida has the acceleration that both Moss, and Singletary lack. It pains me to say that in my opinion, Singletary is likely the most redundant of the three.

I'm also of the opinion that improvements in the running game (including O-line blocking) is the Bills most pressing need on offense. I would love for the Bills to draft a heavier power back (Najee Harris?), or pick one up in FA who can consistently move the pile downhill, and not get stuffed, as Moss, and especially Singletary often were.

How is Breida similar to the other two in any way?

15 hours ago, Logic said:

Yes.

Moss and Singletary will be the primary ball carriers this year, and will be effective. 

Giving up on third round picks after two seasons hasn’t been the M.O. of this front office. PARTICULARLY when the player showed a lot of promise in one of those years.

Motor gonna prove some people wrong this year, methinks.

I'm not sure he showed promise as much as did better that the worst season of rushing I've ever seen. Karlos Williams showed promise, but I wouldn't put Singletary in that category. Personally I'd like to see what Antonio Williams can do. They really want to see their picks make it though, so I expect Ford, Singletary, and Moss get time over more productive players. 

• Vomit 1