Devin Singletary - Will he be playing for the Bills this year?

Estro

3 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Good, I hope that's exactly what we do. Breida will be our RB1 and Moss will sub. Devin was underwhelming last season whether you want to blame him or the OL. We have to upgrade this running attack or teams will just ignore our RB's....

It’s not OTHER teams who ignore our RB’s, WE ignore our RB’s. Ask Pete Carroll or Vic Fangio.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, NewEra said:

Lol.  Maybe singletary and a 3rd plus a 6th next year 

As well as Wyatt Teller.  That didn’t work out so well

I always overvalue our players. :) 

I guess if we could move our 3rd and singletary to get an early/mid 2nd round, that is probably a good trade.

Buffalo's #93 pick is worth 128 pts.  Lets say Arizona traded their 2nd round to us #49, it's worth 410.  Diff is 282. 

282 points is roughly equivalent to the bottom 2nd round pick, #62.  So I guess that would mean that Singletary is equiv to a 2nd round pick in that scenario.

I just don't see Beane trading away Singletary unless he gets at least a 3rd round pick, which is where he was drafted.

6 hours ago, Logic said:

Each situation is unique. For one thing, Jones was drafted prior to the arrival of the GM who traded him away. For another, the team got a new quarterback and decided that the WR skillset they coveted most to pair with said QB was not one possessed by Jones.

In any case, you'll have to forgive me if I don't see the Bills throwing in the towel on a third year 3rd round pick who has averaged 4.8 ypc in his young career. It would likely involve spending a 1st round pick on a running back, then turning around and trading Singletary away -- when his value is at its lowest -- for a late round pick. It just doesn't feel like logical roster building or a smart use of resources.

I'm just stating facts. You said this regime doesn't give up on early draft picks. It's just not true. McD was HC and by most reports was running the draft when they traded up for Jones.

I agree it's too early to give up on Singletary.  But I think most folks are correct, that his value on the trade market would be fairly low.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, MWK said:

We probably will not get rid of him, but he is on a short leash. People seem to forget he got benched during the Kansas City game. I don’t think we should give up on him, but he does have some serious limitations, like his slow speed. I wouldn’t hate drafting the right RB at some point, and Singletary is not going to stop them from doing it if there is a running back they like somewhere in the draft. If we don’t draft a running back, he needs to have a better season or he will be gone after this year. 

Moss got benched during games,  put up worse stats than singletary and is also slow. Is he on a short leash too?

I don’t get the Moss love and Singletary hate. They both were meh last year. The run scheme fit Moss better and Singletary put up slightly better numbers. 

Edited by Not at the table Karlos
  • Agree 2

41 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Moss got benched during games,  put up worse stats than singletary and is also slow. Is he on a short leash too?

I don’t get the Moss love and Singletary hate. They both were meh last year. The run scheme fit Moss better and Singletary put up slightly better numbers. 

Moss seemed to get better as the season wore one. I think people are just reacting to the fact that Moss was the starter by mid-season and was getting the bulk of the carries down the stretch.

Of course this is the same HC that started Peterman and took 2 and a half years to bench Murphy. 

• Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Moss seemed to get better as the season wore one. I think people are just reacting to the fact that Moss was the starter by mid-season and was getting the bulk of the carries down the stretch.

Of course this is the same HC that started Peterman and took 2 and a half years to bench Murphy. 

Also the same head coach who has taken this team from well below average to competitive for a Super Bowl. The guy who took this team from irrelevant for two decades to beyond relevant and into competitive for a title.

8 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Zay Jones was a 2nd round pick by McD and they gave up on him. I doubt Beane or McD would keep a player just because they drafted him.

Agreed that they wouldn't keep a player "just because they drafted him." True, not only for that reason.

But the thing about Zay is that he wasn't good. Was Zay ever near the very top of the league in any year in any important stat as Singletary was in YPC in 2019? I sure didn't notice if he was.

And despite having much more to prove than Singletary does, Zay did play with the Bills in his third year, though he didn't make it all the way through the season.

Edited by Thurman#1

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I'm just stating facts. You said this regime doesn't give up on early draft picks. It's just not true. McD was HC and by most reports was running the draft when they traded up for Jones.

I agree it's too early to give up on Singletary.  But I think most folks are correct, that his value on the trade market would be fairly low.  

No, that's NOT what he said. Not in that post or in any post here. What you ought to do when you talk about what other people said, you want to use the quote itself. You didn't, and therefore very poorly summarized what he said, whether deliberately or carelessly. Here's what he actually said:

10 hours ago, Logic said:

Giving up on third round picks after two seasons hasn’t been the M.O. of this front office. PARTICULARLY when the player showed a lot of promise in one of those years.

He did NOT say "this regime doesn't give up on early draft picks." He specifically mentioned, "after two seasons." Which is correct. Jones was traded five games into his third year. They gave him a shot to improve in his third year, but he simply didn't step up.

Logic also DID say, "PARTICULARLY when the player showed a lot of promise in one of those years." And there isn't any question that Singletary showed a lot of promise his first year, top four in YPA among RBs. Where is Zay's top four finish? Top five? Top ten?

I guess you could argue if you think that Zay showed a lot of promise. I'd love to hear you try to make that argument. I'd find it hard to swallow anything much beyond that he showed potential.

Edited by Thurman#1

6 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Good, I hope that's exactly what we do. Breida will be our RB1 and Moss will sub. Devin was underwhelming last season whether you want to blame him or the OL. We have to upgrade this running attack or teams will just ignore our RB's....

I would love Javante Williams

I believe Beane's focus for this draft will be on improving the defense. That being, should two players of equal or close/equal board rating be available, the defensive player will get the nod. The one caveat, will be if Najee Harris is available at 30. I feel they will pick Harris over a closely rated defensive player. I think they like Harris enough to move up a couple spots to draft him. 

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I said a few weeks ago that I thought there was a strong possibility of Singletary being moved. Still feel that way.

I just don’t see a team giving up much of anything for him.  Player for player, part of a bigger trade (which isn’t happening) or a flip of picks maybe - but not a straight up pick.  If that’s the kind of RB that a team seeks, then why wouldn’t they just draft someone on day 3 and have them under contract for 4 years?

Just now, BarleyNY said:

I just don’t see a team giving up much of anything for him.  Player for player, part of a bigger trade (which isn’t happening) or a flip of picks maybe - but not a straight up pick.  If that’s the kind of RB that a team seeks, then why wouldn’t they just draft someone on day 3 and have them under contract for 4 years?

Yea player for player is more how I saw it. 

2 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

No, that's NOT what he said. Not in that post or in any post here. What you ought to do when you talk about what other people said, you want to use the quote itself. You didn't, and therefore very poorly summarized what he said, whether deliberately or carelessly. Here's what he actually said:

He did NOT say "this regime doesn't give up on early draft picks." He specifically mentioned, "after two seasons." Which is correct. Jones was traded five games into his third year. They gave him a shot to improve in his third year, but he simply didn't step up.

Logic also DID say, "PARTICULARLY when the player showed a lot of promise in one of those years." And there isn't any question that Singletary showed a lot of promise his first year, top four in YPA among RBs. Where is Zay's top four finish? Top five? Top ten?

I guess you could argue if you think that Zay showed a lot of promise. I'd love to hear you try to make that argument. I'd find it hard to swallow anything much beyond that he showed potential.

Zay was tied for most targets on the team his rookie year with 74 and in his second year he increased that and led the team with 104 targets. He led the team in receptions at 56 and yards at 650 in his second year.

Are any of those great? Not really but one could argue he was showing promise. What is not in those stats though is all the drops.

All that said, I'd say there is a less than 10% chance Singletary is traded.