Devin Singletary - Will he be playing for the Bills this year?

Estro

I really hope we don't get rid of him.

He's a fun player to watch, with some of the best on-field vision I've ever seen.  Also, for a smaller guy, he's not shy at all to give the tackler a good "pop" before being brought down.  We just need better run blocking.

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Estro said:

Devin Singletary - Will he be playing for the Bills this year?

95% chance. EDIT:  After re-thinking, it's a bit lower, maybe 80%.

Weird stuff happens, but yes, he will.

It'll come down to the draft.

IMO the odds have risen a bit for picking an RB if more recent mocks are correct in guessing that most CBs, pass-rushing DEs, WRs worth the spot are gone, as well as guys like Barmore, Vera-Tucker, Owusu-Koramoah, Leatherwood, or a few others they might like. I put it around a 20% chance right now, which is higher than I'd figured before when how things seemed to be falling were a bit more favorable.

Edited by Thurman#1

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Yes.

Moss and Singletary will be the primary ball carriers this year, and will be effective. 

Giving up on third round picks after two seasons hasn’t been the M.O. of this front office. PARTICULARLY when the player showed a lot of promise in one of those years.

Motor gonna prove some people wrong this year, methinks.

Zay Jones was a 2nd round pick by McD and they gave up on him. I doubt Beane or McD would keep a player just because they drafted him.

21 minutes ago, hjnick said:

IF we could trade Singletary and like a 6th round pick for a 2nd round pick, I think that would work.  We could draft or sign another RB to cover that spot.

Lol.  Maybe singletary and a 3rd plus a 6th next year 

1 minute ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Zay Jones was a 2nd round pick by McD and they gave up on him. I doubt Beane or McD would keep a player just because they drafted him.

As well as Wyatt Teller.  That didn’t work out so well

3 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Each situation is unique. For one thing, Jones was drafted prior to the arrival of the GM who traded him away. For another, the team got a new quarterback and decided that the WR skillset they coveted most to pair with said QB was not one possessed by Jones.

In any case, you'll have to forgive me if I don't see the Bills throwing in the towel on a third year 3rd round pick who has averaged 4.8 ypc in his young career. It would likely involve spending a 1st round pick on a running back, then turning around and trading Singletary away -- when his value is at its lowest -- for a late round pick. It just doesn't feel like logical roster building or a smart use of resources.

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

WHat could Singletary realistically fetch in a trade? He ran for 687 yards and 2 TD, has yet to crack 1,000 yard season. Maybe a 5th rounder if were lucky, I just think he's been under utilized here due to our QB. Most RB's need the carries to get going and he just doesn't get enough and now with Moss and now Breida in the fold it will be more of the same. He means more to us imo than some mid to late round draft pick.

2 hours ago, Estro said:

Was listening to spotrac's most recent podcast w/ Mike Ginnitti & he casually mentioned he thinks Singletary is a trade candidate this offseason maybe even draft weekend.  Normally I'd just pass this off as speculation, but in listening to Ginnitti over the past few months it's pretty clear that he's got some connections.

He was talking about Trubisky possibly signing as a backup in Buffalo a few days before it happened. It seems a lot of his "ideas" on his podcast seem to come true, which makes it must listen for me.

He also mentioned that Breida might be viewed as a starter in Buffalo, which I found interesting. 

I happen to like the idea of trading Singletary because I just dont think he does anything well enough to not want to replace.  I'm not sure he'd be worth much of anything & I think the Bills would be fortunate to get anything more than a future 6th-7th rounder for him.

Just found it interesting that he casually mentioned Singletary as a trade candidate......after hearing it from his lips I now fully expect Singletary to be moved.

Hopefully it's a lesson learned for the Bills to stop blowing valuable top 100 draft picks on replacement level RBs.

Yes, as a backup to McCaffrey:wub:

We probably will not get rid of him, but he is on a short leash. People seem to forget he got benched during the Kansas City game. I don’t think we should give up on him, but he does have some serious limitations, like his slow speed. I wouldn’t hate drafting the right RB at some point, and Singletary is not going to stop them from doing it if there is a running back they like somewhere in the draft. If we don’t draft a running back, he needs to have a better season or he will be gone after this year. 

2 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

I could see see us packaging Singletary with a draft pick to move up in the 2nd or 3rd round...

I was thinking along those lines. 

I believe at the present moment, Motor is 100% in the Bills plans.  But I also believe that despite all the work in FA, Beane does have his eyes on specific players, and if the opportunity arises to move around in the draft by trading player/picks and he feels it would help us obtain one of those players, he'll do what he has to do.

8 minutes ago, MWK said:

We probably will not get rid of him, but he is on a short leash. People seem to forget he got benched during the Kansas City game. I don’t think we should give up on him, but he does have some serious limitations, like his slow speed. I wouldn’t hate drafting the right RB at some point, and Singletary is not going to stop them from doing it if there is a running back they like somewhere in the draft. If we don’t draft a running back, he needs to have a better season or he will be gone after this year. 

Short leash? Barring something crazy, he will be here thru his rookie deal. The guy has averaged 4.8 YPC in his first 2 years! We are not a track team, we are a football team. If you average 4.8 YPC you are a good NFL RB. IF our line and scheme can be tweaked and he can get back above the 5 YPC he had as a rookie, this will be a funny thread to look back upon. 

Edited by Augie
  • Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, The Governor said:

Motor won’t be the starter when this team goes to a SB, because we won’t make it to one if he is.

He can certainly be a player on a SB team. He can play for the Bills, and we can contend, as was proven.  He’s not the reason we didn’t beat the Chiefs. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

I could see see us packaging Singletary with a draft pick to move up in the 2nd or 3rd round...

Good, I hope that's exactly what we do. Breida will be our RB1 and Moss will sub. Devin was underwhelming last season whether you want to blame him or the OL. We have to upgrade this running attack or teams will just ignore our RB's....