Random Political Thoughts Inc.

T&C

Chris Christie is a much better candidate than DeSantis. 

I underestimated just how stupid the whole “war on woke” thing sounds on the national stage. Other campaigns are running away from that silly crap.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

nice piece on medical politics

https://thehill.com/opinion/healthcare/4031852-in-florida-doctors-can-cite-succubus-but-educators-cant-teach-morrison/

Historically, medical professionals have been among the most revered and respected members of society and those who we turn to in times of greatest need. In part, this is due to how we regulate and practice medicine. 

We now must ask ourselves what the consequences will be when there are no guardrails to protect the public against false and harmful information from physicians who have a large social media megaphone.  And why do we think it is so harmful to members of our incredibly diverse society to be exposed to literature and art and have teachers be penalized for doing so when children are exposed to hours of uncontrolled social media and internet content per day?  

Why should a physician be allowed to preach and practice medicine believing in Incubus and Succubus, but teachers are not allowed to discuss the writings of Toni Morrison with students? 

Edited by redtail hawk

7 hours ago, redtail hawk said:

https://thehill.com/opinion/healthcare/4031852-in-florida-doctors-can-cite-succubus-but-educators-cant-teach-morrison/

Historically, medical professionals have been among the most revered and respected members of society and those who we turn to in times of greatest need. In part, this is due to how we regulate and practice medicine. 

We now must ask ourselves what the consequences will be when there are no guardrails to protect the public against false and harmful information from physicians who have a large social media megaphone.  And why do we think it is so harmful to members of our incredibly diverse society to be exposed to literature and art and have teachers be penalized for doing so when children are exposed to hours of uncontrolled social media and internet content per day?  

Why should a physician be allowed to preach and practice medicine believing in Incubus and Succubus, but teachers are not allowed to discuss the writings of Toni Morrison with students? 

Do you mean the fact that my children's pediatrician told me that not getting my healthy children vaccinated was dangerous to them? Or do you mean something that is less obviously malarkey now two years since it happened. 

5 minutes ago, Orlando Tim said:

Do you mean the fact that my children's pediatrician told me that not getting my healthy children vaccinated was dangerous to them? Or do you mean something that is less obviously malarkey now two years since it happened. 

There's this concept...it's called population health and is especially relevant during a pandemic.

1 hour ago, redtail hawk said:

There's this concept...it's called population health and is especially relevant during a pandemic.

So a lie is ok so long as someone might benefit? He was wrong based on a presumption that ended up being 100% wrong. Being anti science is no more correct during a pandemic than any other time. We knew in early 2020 that COVID was deadly to those who fulfilled several categories, in order, age, weight, lung and cardiovascular health. By 2021 no one thought the kids should have the shots for themselves but to help older people, so tell me again how my kids getting the shot was a good idea for my kids?

25 minutes ago, Orlando Tim said:

So a lie is ok so long as someone might benefit? He was wrong based on a presumption that ended up being 100% wrong. Being anti science is no more correct during a pandemic than any other time. We knew in early 2020 that COVID was deadly to those who fulfilled several categories, in order, age, weight, lung and cardiovascular health. By 2021 no one thought the kids should have the shots for themselves but to help older people, so tell me again how my kids getting the shot was a good idea for my kids?

you're gonna love my answer!  It takes a village...nobody was lying.  We were learning on the fly as rapidly as possible.  Making decisions with the best available data.  I'll have to look but pretty certain morbidity and mortality were better for vaxed vs unvaxed kids.  n = a relatively small number of sick kids but if there's overall dec in those measures, it's good

Edited by redtail hawk

9 hours ago, redtail hawk said:

You must have different docs in your community than I have in the communities I've live in. Just saying

26 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

i don't knoqw what you mean.  I know almost all the docs in my community.  Don't know one that was spreading misinformation.

How do I say this? I know most of the docs in my community too. Many docs in my community have very high IQs, yet very low EQs. Very few docs serve on NFP boards, serve in civic groups, get active in business groups such as a Chamber of Commerce, volunteer as churches, etc. They are pretty standoffish at youth athletic events. If they didn't have spouses that get involved in the community, we'd see very few ever, out in public.

The administration at hospitals or from clinics generally who we hear our "public" information from. Those are PSAs, right? It is not one-on-care, nor is it meant to be.

51 minutes ago, Pokebball said:

How do I say this? I know most of the docs in my community too. Many docs in my community have very high IQs, yet very low EQs. Very few docs serve on NFP boards, serve in civic groups, get active in business groups such as a Chamber of Commerce, volunteer as churches, etc. They are pretty standoffish at youth athletic events. If they didn't have spouses that get involved in the community, we'd see very few ever, out in public.

The administration at hospitals or from clinics generally who we hear our "public" information from. Those are PSAs, right? It is not one-on-care, nor is it meant to be.

Most of them aren't joining community orgs cuz they're too busy working and burned out.  I did very little til I retired.  The kid who just set up a member practice is my new doc.  No affiliations, private pay.  And because of that is a new member of our Rotary club.  Has time for his kids, etc.  Don't believe a word from hospital admin....

2 hours ago, redtail hawk said:

you're gonna love my answer!  It takes a village...nobody was lying.  We were learning on the fly as rapidly as possible.  Making decisions with the best available data.  I'll have to look but pretty certain morbidity and mortality were better for vaxed vs unvaxed kids.  n = a relatively small number of sick kids but if there's overall dec in those measures, it's good

This is where being a math teacher my background helps me more than yours. Statistically speaking the amount of people under 50 without at least two comorbidities were getting severely ill was always at such a low number that in order to find a definite improvement in the numbers that it would takes a minimum of  4-5 years to determine if the vaccines were even helping 40 year olds, much less a 20 year old. Truly your argument is that my child should take an experimental serum that has no long term study so you can feel better at night with no benefit to him likely. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Orlando Tim said:

This is where being a math teacher my background helps me more than yours. Statistically speaking the amount of people under 50 without at least two comorbidities were getting severely ill was always at such a low number that in order to find a definite improvement in the numbers that it would takes a minimum of  4-5 years to determine if the vaccines were even helping 40 year olds, much less a 20 year old. Truly your argument is that my child should take an experimental serum that has no long term study so you can feel better at night with no benefit to him likely. 

show me the...data.

Here's some data.  Yes, with lower prevalence, statistical significance is more difficult to prove:

https://data.unicef.org/topic/child-survival/covid-19/

If it were up to me, given what we now know, I'd still recommend vaxing kids in the midst of the pandemic.  I suspect most epidemiologists would as well.  but your math background gives me pause....

13 minutes ago, B-Man said:

ff86d0863ca20ca52845e335417bf5c03286d824

hmmm...which prez press sec talked about "alternative facts"?

• Dislike 1

27 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

show me the...data.

Honestly if you want to find it we had a long thread about it in 2021 here where I had a long merry go round with a couple of guys, but if at this point you still believe that healthy people under 30 were helped by the vaccine I can't help you. Find any study that makes a prediction on lives saved under 30.

4 minutes ago, Orlando Tim said:

Honestly if you want to find it we had a long thread about it in 2021 here where I had a long merry go round with a couple of guys, but if at this point you still believe that healthy people under 30 were helped by the vaccine I can't help you. Find any study that makes a prediction on lives saved under 30.

2021?  Tincture of time is an awesome remedy.  At least in a political sense, we hope so. btw, over 12000 kids died from covid per UNICEF.  How many died from the vax?

5 minutes ago, B-Man said:

DONT’ WORRY, IT’S NOT SCHEDULED TO APPEAR UNTIL OCTOBER OF 2024: 

Experts warn bird flu virus changing rapidly in largest ever outbreak.

1-h5n1.jpg

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2023-06-experts-bird-flu-virus-rapidly.html

The only treatment will involve mail-in ballots and ballot harvesting.

Yes, when they develop a vax, we hope the MAGA's don't take it.  Evolution...I kid.  But they won't.

Edited by redtail hawk

25 minutes ago, B-Man said:

DONT’ WORRY, IT’S NOT SCHEDULED TO APPEAR UNTIL OCTOBER OF 2024: 

Experts warn bird flu virus changing rapidly in largest ever outbreak.

1-h5n1.jpg

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2023-06-experts-bird-flu-virus-rapidly.html

The only treatment will involve mail-in ballots and ballot harvesting.

stock up on the TP now!!

• Haha (+1) 1