Random Political Thoughts Inc.

T&C

The real horror, to me, lies in the fact that there is absolutely no vehicle in American journalism for the kind of “sensitive” and “intellectual” and essentially moral/merciless reporting that we all understand is necessary–not only for the survival of good journalism in this country, but for the dying idea that you can walk up to a newsstand and find something that will tell you what is really happening. ~Hunter S. Thompson

• 2 weeks later...

China says it will work with Russia to create new international order
Top Chinese official said Russia and China could move world in a 'reasonable direction'

A top Chinese official said that his country will continue its partnership with Russia in the hopes of creating a new international order that will rival western influence

"The Chinese side is willing to work with the Russian side to continuously implement high-level strategic cooperation between the two countries, safeguard common interests and promote the development of the international order in a more just and reasonable direction," Director of the Office of the Foreign Affairs Commission of the Communist Party of China Central Committe Yang Jiechi said Monday, according to Bloomberg.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/china-says-work-russia-create-new-international-order

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/09/17/desantis-migrant-transports-south-florida-00057337

This article is the definition of the separation of Dems vs Rep, if you think the Cubans in Miami see the illegals as their equals due to skin color you are a Dem, if you realize they don't like them because of their illegal actions you are a Rep.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 9/17/2022 at 4:56 PM, Orlando Tim said:

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/09/17/desantis-migrant-transports-south-florida-00057337

This article is the definition of the separation of Dems vs Rep, if you think the Cubans in Miami see the illegals as their equals due to skin color you are a Dem, if you realize they don't like them because of their illegal actions you are a Rep.

I have been searching for the exact nationalities of the Martha’s Vineyard 50. It’s been reported that there are many Venezuelans. Why not Cubans, Ron? Why were they exempt? If you think Cubans aren’t coming across the southwest border in droves, you haven’t been paying attention. Could it be that the good governor doesn’t want to piss off a group that votes Republican? 
Oh, and by the way: once those (mostly) Venezuelans are processed in Cape Cod, where will they be headed? Migrant patterns suggest that 90+ percent will ask (and be allowed) to have their cases heard in (you guessed it) Florida. 

• Like (+1) 1

Regardless of the legalities, the tactic is straight from the Jim Crow handbook. Though the GOP applauded DeSantis’s disdain for human beings fleeing dictatorial repressions, his actions followed in the steps of White citizens’ councils from the 1960s that bused thousands of Black Southerners to Northern communities. Politico reports:

Throughout the South, Citizens’ Councils as far and wide as Macon, Ga., and Selma, Ala., Shreveport, La., and Jackson, Miss., lied with impunity, assuring Black residents that jobs and housing awaited them in their new home states. This was never the case, particularly on Cape Cod, where the off-season unemployment rate normally hovered near 20 percent. One man whom the Citizens’ Council had explicitly promised a job and home on the Cape told reporters that he felt hoodwinked. “I’d like to get my hands on those two men who shot me full of baloney about coming up here,” he fumed.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2022/09/18/reverse-freedom-ride-south-desantis-00057339

4 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I have been searching for the exact nationalities of the Martha’s Vineyard 50. It’s been reported that there are many Venezuelans. Why not Cubans, Ron? Why were they exempt? If you think Cubans aren’t coming across the southwest border in droves, you haven’t been paying attention. Could it be that the good governor doesn’t want to piss off a group that votes Republican? 
Oh, and by the way: once those (mostly) Venezuelans are processed in Cape Cod, where will they be headed? Migrant patterns suggest that 90+ percent will ask (and be allowed) to have their cases heard in (you guessed it) Florida. 

I appreciate you showing how correct I was about seeing race vs behavior based on political party 

29 minutes ago, Orlando Tim said:

I appreciate you showing how correct I was about seeing race vs behavior based on political party 

Oh, I agree. If DeSantis were to do this to CUBANS, there’d be an outcry in Florida and he just might lose votes. So he won’t. Q. Is there any reason newly arrived Cubans would have a better moral claim (not to mention legal) claim to stay than newly arrived Venezuelans? No. If Cuba is an 10 on the political oppression/economic basket case

scale, Venezuela is surely an 11. 
But you also misunderstand the situation of Venezuelans. There’s a lot of Republican support among that much smaller community, and yes, some cross-affiliation between Cubans and Venezuelans. (This is not about Mexicans or Central Americans). So this isn’t necessarily a big win for DeSantis in Florida. Of course, he correctly assumes he’ll cruise to reelection in Florida. This is about out-Trumping Trump on the national scale. 

3 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Oh, I agree. If DeSantis were to do this to CUBANS, there’d be an outcry in Florida and he just might lose votes. So he won’t. Q. Is there any reason newly arrived Cubans would have a better moral claim (not to mention legal) claim to stay than newly arrived Venezuelans? No. If Cuba is an 10 on the political oppression/economic basket case

scale, Venezuela is surely an 11. 
But you also misunderstand the situation of Venezuelans. There’s a lot of Republican support among that much smaller community, and yes, some cross-affiliation between Cubans and Venezuelans. (This is not about Mexicans or Central Americans). So this isn’t necessarily a big win for DeSantis in Florida. Of course, he correctly assumes he’ll cruise to reelection in Florida. This is about out-Trumping Trump on the national scale. 

Legally if you pass through 7 countries before seeking political asylum then yes your  standing is different than people who go to the nearest country. Unless you believe that only white majority countries are safe then the Venezuelans have no legal claim to asylum.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Orlando Tim said:

Legally if you pass through 7 countries before seeking political asylum then yes your  standing is different than people who go to the nearest country. Unless you believe that only white majority countries are safe then the Venezuelans have no legal claim to asylum.

Do you know that Cubans now typically:

- fly to Nicaragua (commie buddies don’t require visas from Cubans)

- fly (or travel overland) to the US border

- enter through the Arizona desert, surrender, and claim asylum?

Exactly what the Venezuelans do. Yet DeSantis handpicks Venezuelans to send to Martha’s Vineyard. I wonder why. 

35 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Do you know that Cubans now typically:

- fly to Nicaragua (commie buddies don’t require visas from Cubans)

- fly (or travel overland) to the US border

- enter through the Arizona desert, surrender, and claim asylum?

Exactly what the Venezuelans do. Yet DeSantis handpicks Venezuelans to send to Martha’s Vineyard. I wonder why. 

I am curious where you found this out? I know quite a few Cubans, especially ones whose families came over when Castro came over, and no one has ever stated anything like that. 

1 hour ago, Orlando Tim said:

I am curious where you found this out? I know quite a few Cubans, especially ones whose families came over when Castro came over, and no one has ever stated anything like that. 

That was the case historically. Not so much now (i do have some personal experience in this area). For example, from a newspaper catering to the U.S. Cuban community:

https://havanatimes.org/features/tens-of-thousands-of-cubans-travel-to-the-usa-via-nicaragua/

17 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

That was the case historically. Not so much now (i do have some personal experience in this area). For example, from a newspaper catering to the U.S. Cuban community:

https://havanatimes.org/features/tens-of-thousands-of-cubans-travel-to-the-usa-via-nicaragua/

It is hard to believe that over 100k made that journey in just over a years time, that is literally 1% of their population. What is most insane to me is I have friends with family in Canada that they have not been able to see because they are not vaccinated and Canada considers them a threat.