Do you think someone in the Bills FO follows the players social media?

17 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

usually those kinds of high risk things are banned in player contracts. Guess that doesn’t apply for Diggs, or he doesn’t care. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

I kind of wonder if the latest NFL CBA did away with these, because perhaps they carried a perception of risk that didn't match the reality?

I don't know how accurate this is and of course it doesn't include non-fatal outcomes like a broken leg, but this list of risks is kind of interesting to review.  For example, if statistically skydiving is 10x less risky than canoeing and 3x less risky than scuba diving, it might change the picture of what activities should reasonably be restricted. 

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/564015/probability-being-killed-everyday-activities-chart

I know I had no idea.  When I see videos of Harrison Phillips scuba diving I don't think "gee, wonder if Beane sees that and gets grey hairs?" but evidently, statistically he should get 3x more grey hairs on that than from watching Diggs skydive and 14x more than from watching Diggs bungee jump, and should also be getting some good grey hairs from Dion Dawkins early morning bike rides around Miami and Ed Oliver's equestrian feats.

16 hours ago, Frat-Train said:

I knew none of this about Diggs...   Yikes.  I guess if there’s a positive, it’s that Rusty Hardin’s services aren’t needed, unless maybe a bird is struck on the way down or something...  So there’s that.

Indeed.  When it comes to things that are truly likely to cost you a player's services, bungee jumping and skydiving much better than 2 am nightclub brawls with out-of-uniform LEO (McCoy) or shady behavior with Massage therapists (Watson).

So ride those ponies, Ed; hook up that regulator, Harrison; go ahead and jump, Stefon!

It's just the risk perception,  I guess.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Augie said:

I’ve done it, once. It’s a VERY cool sensation! 

I don’t need to do it again, but I’m glad we did it once. Like attending the Masters, do it once and check it off. I sat right next to the open door at 14,000 feet. What struck me most, strangely, is how much colder it was at 14k feet!  I’m not sure why that stood out so much, it should have been obvious. I thought sitting next to the door unrestrained might be dangerous, but the fact is when you go to jump out, it’s actually difficult and you have to push off pretty hard because the wind wants to push you back in!

Sorry, LAMP over, but it really is a cool rush. I’m sure Diggs would be missed more than myself if anything went sideways and I have to wonder what restrictions his contract covers. 

EDIT: and now @Logic “liked” my post, which I assume is to verify that Diggs would be missed more than myself had it ended badly. I will just edit here to say I fully understand that sentiment.  :)

Very cool sensation. I also did it once but only from 4000 feet and used a static line. The jump master attached the static line to the pull cord and to the plane, then he had me go out onto a metal bar outside the plane where there was also a bar to hold onto. I looked in at the pilot and he said "get the **** off my plane" which of course I let go, then feeling the chute open I looked up and probably had a smile as big as Diggs when I could see that I'd probably survive. Like you it was a ck off the bucket list.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

FWIW, every NFL contract contains this paragraph.

3. OTHER ACTIVITIES. Without prior written consent of the Club, Player will not play football or engage in activities related to football otherwise than for Club or engage in any activity other than football which may involve a significant risk of personal injury. Player represents that he has special, exceptional and unique knowledge, skill, ability, and experience as a football player, the loss of which cannot be estimated with any certainty and cannot be fairly or adequately compensated by damages. Player therefore agrees that Club will have the right, in addition to any other right which Club may possess, to enjoin Player by appropriate proceedings from playing football or engaging in football-related activities other than for Club or from engaging in any activity other than football which may involve a significant risk of personal injury.

But it's very non-specific, and I suppose it's more of a disclaimer that gives the team the right to not pay an injured player depending on just what he was doing when injured. I know there are other areas of the CBA that require a player to maintain his excellent physical condition. And I know players have been injured playing basketball but have argued that's part of their offseason conditioning. Still, I would think the paragraph would enable the team to step in and prevent a player from bull riding or auto racing.  And the following article from 2005 points out that many contracts do add specific activities that players are not allowed to do. Plus my fading memory seems to remember Jim Kelly one time saying he was looking forward to skiing once he retired because he wasn't allowed to ski throughout his career.

So who knows? I don't think anyone could come up with a definitive list prohibiting the million different ways a guy could get injured. And being fine young physical specimens, they can hardly be expected to live in a bubble when they're not on the field.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=2051653

CLEVELAND -- Browns tight end Kellen Winslow II sustained internal injuries and complained of chest pains after he was injured in a motorcycle accident, the team said Monday night.

Kellen Winslow II suffered various injuries after crashing his motorcycle riding in a community college parking lot Sunday. AP Photo/Westlake Police Dept.

A Browns source told ESPN.com that the team was "particularly concerned" about Winslow's right knee. The Browns confirmed his injuries aren't life-threatening. Winslow was riding in a community college parking lot Sunday when he hit a curb at about 35 mph and was thrown from the motorcycle, Westlake police Lt. Ray Arcuri said.

Winslow was taken by ambulance to Fairview Hospital and was transferred to the Cleveland Clinic on Monday where the team's medical staff would treat him, Browns spokesman Bill Bonsiewicz said. The extent of the injury to Winslow's right knee, and the possibility of structural damage that might sideline him for an extended period, likely will not be determined until swelling in the knee subsides. There is also swelling in Winslow's right shoulder.

"He went over the handlebars and was real evasive about what the injuries were," Arcuri said.

The 21-year-old Winslow had minor visible injuries. He was wearing a helmet, but it wasn't strapped on and flew off his head, Arcuri said. He landed in a landscaped area at the edge of the parking lot, falling hard enough to tear out a small tree. He and four other men were riding motorcycles in the parking lot, not far from Winslow's home in suburban Cleveland. There was no alcohol involved, Arcuri said.

"The four gentlemen said he was testing the bike out learning to ride," Arcuri said.

ESPN.com senior writer Len Pasquarelli reports the availability of Winslow for the 2005 season is not the only thing at risk. Beyond the injuries, there are possible financial ramifications as well, and Winslow may have given the team an opportunity to recover a portion of his signing bonus and option bonus, if he is found to be in breach of his contract.

Section 3 of the NFL's standard player contract stipulates, in part, that a "player will not engage in any activity other than football which may involve a significant risk of personal injury. Player therefore agrees that club will have the right to enjoin the player from engaging in any activity other than football which may involve a significant risk of injury."

But two league sources said Monday night that Winslow's contract includes language which is even more specific and limiting, and which expressly forbids riding a motorcycle. Many teams include such specific language in the addendums to contracts, especially those involving high-round draft choices. An agent who negotiated the contracts of some high-round Cleveland draft choices in recent years said the Browns routinely include such restrictions. If the Winslow contract indeed includes such language, the Browns could seek to recoup a prorated share of the $6 million signing bonus Winslow received last year and perhaps the entire $4.4 million option bonus he was paid on March 1 of this year.

Winslow bought the powerful Suzuki GSX-R750 sport bike April 9 and obtained a 30-day license for it, but the bike, which can reach speeds of 172 miles per hour, is too powerful for a beginner, law enforcement officials told the Cleveland Plain Dealer. Lt. Judy Neel of the Ohio State Highway Patrol told the Plain Dealer on Tuesday that Winslow obtained a motorcycle learner's permit April 26. He passed a written test and vision exam to get the permit, Neel said. Winslow could still be charged with reckless operation of a motor vehicle, Arcuri told the paper. That is a fourth-degree misdemeanor which carries a maximum penalty of 30 days in jail and a $250 fine. It is up to Westlake prosecutor John Wheeler to determine if Winslow will be charged.

A learner's permit comes with certain restrictions, including riding in daylight only, wearing a helmet, carrying no passengers and not riding on interstates or heavily congested roadways. A rider must pass a road test or complete a motorcycle course to obtain a permanent license or endorsement. He failed his first attempt at the written test in Garfield Heights, Neel said. He passed it the second time on April 26 -- five days before the accident. Sunday night, Winslow was traveling 35 miles per hour in a Westlake parking lot when he lost control of the bike.

The first-round draft pick missed nearly all of his rookie year with the Browns after breaking his right leg against Dallas in Week 2 while attempting to recover an onside kick in the final seconds. Winslow had five receptions for 50 yards in his first two pro games. He has had two operations on the leg and said in March that he expected it to be fully healed for this season. Winslow signed a six-year, $40 million contract with the Browns, but lost a $5.3 million bonus because of the leg injury.

• Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Tuco said:

FWIW, every NFL contract contains this paragraph.

3. OTHER ACTIVITIES. Without prior written consent of the Club, Player will not play football or engage in activities related to football otherwise than for Club or engage in any activity other than football which may involve a significant risk of personal injury. Player represents that he has special, exceptional and unique knowledge, skill, ability, and experience as a football player, the loss of which cannot be estimated with any certainty and cannot be fairly or adequately compensated by damages. Player therefore agrees that Club will have the right, in addition to any other right which Club may possess, to enjoin Player by appropriate proceedings from playing football or engaging in football-related activities other than for Club or from engaging in any activity other than football which may involve a significant risk of personal injury.

I wonder if this contract clause came about because of the former patriots RB who went to the pro bowl in Hawaii just for the festivities and ended up blowing out his knee and his career playing flag football on a beach.

Not sure if that's someones job to observe players online activity to a great extent or not. Either way if a player post certain comments, pics, etc that affects the team, others, or NFL in any negative way, it always will be seen and re-posted by someone anyways and everyone will know regardless.

Who knows though, maybe teams do have a person dedicated to that specific thing now days. I wouldn't see the point though myself for reasons I just stated. That's just me though.

Edited by Patrick_Duffy

18 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If so, how many grey hairs per second does Beane accumulate watching Stefon Diggs bungie-jump off of bridges and parachute jump out of planes?

Considering it was a simple post by Diggs on social media that directly led to us trading for him, I'd say it's pretty damn likely they have people keeping tabs on players.

Who knows on any of this, but I'll make an educated guess:

1. Teams monitor their players, but kind of as a side gig.

2. The Shield has professional, dedicated staff, real-time e-monitoring all 2000+ active roster players.

The techniques/technology widely known. Not hard... just use the Secret Service methodology (not kidding).

Indeed, it would be interesting to know the number of FT investigators/security the NFL employs. Quite a gaggle, I imagine.

Protect the Shield, etc.

7 hours ago, 1ManRaid said:

Considering it was a simple post by Diggs on social media that directly led to us trading for him, I'd say it's pretty damn likely they have people keeping tabs on players.

Beane said he doesn’t have Twitter but one of his FO guys showed him that tweet from Diggs that spurred the call to the Vikings. So, yes

15 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Im glad Diggs is having fun, and I don’t really see a tandem jump is a big deal.  He could twist an ankle just as easily playing hoops on the court with friends.  Wasn’t it Suggs who was out fir the year with an injury playing basketball in the off season.

There was a player who tripped over dog going to door to get pizza.

Players sometimes hide injuries until camp or until contract has been signed. 

Players have been seen playing basketball when being unable to practice due to injury. 

Teams end up paying medical bills of players who are injured on their own time and who do not play and if Jim Overdorf worked on contract they do not even need to repay signing bonuses.

as a social media executive, I am can all but bet my house on this and that they also review free agent social media feeds and draft picks before signing no different than an HR professional in a different industry vertical... outside of an hourly wage employee that might get overlooked or use simple 3rd parties for this analysis.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, frostbitmic said:

I wonder if this contract clause came about because of the former patriots RB who went to the pro bowl in Hawaii just for the festivities and ended up blowing out his knee and his career playing flag football on a beach.

I think the clause has been around a long time. And Edwards wasn't just some guy hanging out at the Pro Bowl playing flag football. He was invited there by the NFL as one of the season's best rookies, and the flag football game was the NFL's idea and was promoted by them. So I don't think that would have violated the clause anyway.

However, I'm sure the incident is undoubtedly the reason we don't see the NFL promoting rookie flag football games before the Pro Bowl any more though.

• Thank you (+1) 1