Human Senses: Pick Two (only two. Not three. Not two with an alternate. Just Two!!)

BringBackFergy

Humans have five senses: Touch, Sight, Hearing, Smell and Taste. 

Given your age and experience, if told you can only pick two senses for the rest of your life, which ones do you pick and which ones do you cast aside?

I’m keeping: 

Sight: Can still read your idiotic posts, a book, watch Bills games, go fishing, hunting, etc. 

Taste: Good food. Enough said. 

You guys may say, what about “music”....I can sing tunes in my head. Music nowadays sucks. 

As for touch and smell...that would kinda suck, but Sight and Taste are more impotent. 

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

sight and hearing

once hearing goes you start deteriorating

Once my father couldn’t hear, even WITH hearing aides, he became very isolated. He was too old to learn to read lips, or for us to learn sign language. He was very......alone. Even in a crowd, maybe even more so in a crowd. 

Sight for sure, and based upon my experience with my dad’s isolation, I go with hearing. 

I have a friend battling throat cancer. He’s lost his sense of taste and he’s miserable about it. He’s losing weight even trying to force calories. At least we can still talk about it on the phone. Fortunately things seem to be turning for the better for him. 

I hear smell also affects taste and makes eating happen. I still stick with sight and hearing. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, snafu said:

Sight and touch.

I think not having touch would affect a lot more than one would expect, like walking and chewing food.

I kinda skipped over that, since I don’t know IF it can happen or what it would look like. It might move up the leaderboard if I could get a grip on that. I agree it would be critically important. My father also lost feeling in the soles of his feet. It was a serious problem concerning balance and the ability to function. I’m not sure how wide spread that could possibly become. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BringBackFergy said:

Given your age and experience, if told you can only pick two senses for the rest of your life, which ones do you pick and which ones do you cast aside?

I’m keeping: 

Sight: Can still read your idiotic posts, a book, watch Bills games, go fishing, hunting, etc. 

You guys may say, what about “music”....I can sing tunes in my head. Music nowadays sucks. 

As for touch and smell...that would kinda suck, but Sight and Taste are more impotent. 

Taste and smell go together.  If you have a cold things do not taste the same.

For me sight and touch.  Sight despite my diminishing uncorrectable vision to read the medication bottles which I think would be difficult to open without touch.

Touch is a lot more complicated than some think.  It is not just finger tips but air pressure on ears, feeling ground when you walk, etc.

Back to eating my trout and cauliflower pasta.  When I have full eating requirements from endocrinologist I probably will not need taste buds.

7 hours ago, Augie said:

Once my father couldn’t hear, even WITH hearing aides, he became very isolated. He was too old to learn to read lips, or for us to learn sign language. He was very......alone. Even in a crowd, maybe even more so in a crowd. 

Sight for sure, and based upon my experience with my dad’s isolation, I go with hearing. 

I have a friend battling throat cancer. He’s lost his sense of taste and he’s miserable about it. He’s losing weight even trying to force calories. At least we can still talk about it on the phone. Fortunately things seem to be turning for the better for him. 

I hear smell also affects taste and makes eating happen. I still stick with sight and hearing. 

Ok, you convinced me. Sight & Hearing. I’m sorry for your Dad’s hearing loss. With 41 years of marriage, I often fantasize not hearing (feigning it most of the time)😉. But if push comes to shove, to Hell with taste, touch & feel.

7 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Ok, you convinced me. Sight & Hearing. I’m sorry for your Dad’s hearing loss. With 41 years of marriage, I often fantasize not hearing (feigning it most of the time)😉. But if push comes to shove, to Hell with taste, touch & feel.

We lost him about 5 years ago, and to be honest I think it was a relief, mostly for him. He’s at peace. 

Hospice was a surprisingly beautiful experience. I know that sounds odd, in some ways....

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I already have partial anosmia anyway so I wouldn't miss my sense of smell that much. Apparently, it's not 'scientifically viable' that it's an evolutionary response to growing up with my dad's farts.

I think I'd have to pick sight and hearing. I can't imagine a more lonely existence than not being able to see or hear. You see those videos of the deaf kids hearing their parents for the first time, gets me every time and makes me realise how much I take it for granted that the worst thing I have to deal with is being ugly.

17 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

I’m keeping: 

I want @Gugny's 6th sense and your 7th!  😆🤣 😃

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

22 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

I’m keeping: 

I would keep touch and sight. That way can feel that goodness when having relations with the wife, g/f, or your common street walking hooker. Keep sight so you can make sure that you are having those relations with someone at least half decent. Or to your liking I guess.

25 minutes ago, coloradobillsfan said:

be careful I read somewhere sight can make you impotent

Actually, mask debating can make you blind, which can lead to one being impotent.  I've got my basis covered!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.