David Njoku, TE Browns, on the trading block...

I would take him in a sec.  Big and athletic.  In our offense he would be very good.  Imo he just needs targets.  Im very high on him.  Imo seems the change of coaching staffs caused him to fall out of favor.  Not "their guy" type of thing.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yeah, it's going to be interesting to see if the Bills pick up his option or not.  Some defensive teammates in interviews have mentioned him as the leader on D.  McDermott acknowledged mid-season they need more difference-making plays from him, but he, Frazier, and Beane still speak very positively about him.

May 5th (I think) is the deadline for the Bills picking up his 5th year option, which I believe is fully guaranteed on that day.  That's gonna indicate more about how the Bills truly see him, than all the talky-talking they do.

I would bet money that they pick up his 5th year option. Actual money.

• Agree 1

This is your regularly scheduled reminder that Edmunds isn’t going anywhere.

McBeane love them some Tremaine. They are willing to tolerate his almost complete lack of gap awareness for what he offers in defending the passing lanes in McD’s zone defense. This is way more important to McD than stuffing the run. Not that I agree, but it explains why you haven’t seen him moved to OLB and why they will 100% pick up his 5th year. I loved the pick, I wish he developed into the player I still think he could be but I’m rapidly losing faith. This year is a make or break for his long term outlook but the 5th year option will be picked up regardless.

1 hour ago, RunTheBall said:

This is your regularly scheduled reminder that Edmunds isn’t going anywhere.

McBeane love them some Tremaine. They are willing to tolerate his almost complete lack of gap awareness for what he offers in defending the passing lanes in McD’s zone defense. This is way more important to McD than stuffing the run. Not that I agree, but it explains why you haven’t seen him moved to OLB and why they will 100% pick up his 5th year. I loved the pick, I wish he developed into the player I still think he could be but I’m rapidly losing faith. This year is a make or break for his long term outlook but the 5th year option will be picked up regardless.

The dude is still only 22.  Will be 23 when the season starts.  2 so what probowls.  He isnt done getting better imo.  Leonard is 3 years older at 25 and 26.  I think Edmunds will be a destroyer at 25 and 26.  

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think you kind of answered your own question.  Njoku got pushed to #3 on the Browns TE lineup by the upgrade they felt they needed (Hooper) and a 4th round rookie Bryant.

Difference makers don't get "swallowed up by the offensive depth" at TE, especially when that depth is not stunningly productive - Bryant had 238 yds on 38 targets, 24 receptions and Hooper had his worst offensive productivity since his rookie season with 46 receptions on 70 targets for 435 yds.

Njoku really had one promising year to my view of those statistics, his 2nd.  The Bills already did the experiment of paying $$ to a "buried on the depth chart" guy who had one good season, with Tyler Kroft.

If the question is "What #3 TE in his 4th season who played on a contending team last year can we pick up as an audition for a long-term contract?" the answer is already on our roster, we didn't have to trade for him, he didn't cost us $6M cap, and he's previously accustomed to catching stuff Allen flings in his general direction.

Good point about getting swallowed up by a rookie.  But I think Hooper did not have a great year.  Perhaps Mayfield is not a TE friendly QB. ?   I’d still take a stab ar him with a 6th.  

2 hours ago, Mat68 said:

The dude is still only 22.  Will be 23 when the season starts.  2 so what probowls.  He isnt done getting better imo.  Leonard is 3 years older at 25 and 26.  I think Edmunds will be a destroyer at 25 and 26.  

I hope so, and I haven’t given up on him. I would have liked to have seen a bit more improvement from him after 3 years. If he would just catch a couple of those balls that hit him right in the chest we wouldn’t even be having the discussion. It holds true that his run defense needs to improve though, both in gap awareness and shedding blocks. I don’t think we should trade or get rid of him.

56 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

another thought:  will CLE cut him if there are no offers??  

No.  He is on his 5th year option which is now fully guaranteed.  He would not be cut anyway as he’s got a role on the team.  The Browns are not actively shopping him anyway, it was just speculation.  He was named as part of a player for player trade that didn’t happen (Gilmore, NE) though.  Also I doubt the Browns care to get a 2021 mid round pick for a player as they’ve got 9 picks already - and he will net them a late comp pick eventually.  Sure, the Browns would trade him for a decent return, but they aren’t looking to dump him for next to nothing.

• Thank you (+1) 1