David Njoku, TE Browns, on the trading block...

3 hours ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

Would you trade him for Knox? 

The players, yes.  But their contracts complicate matters as Knox is on year 3 of his rookie deal and Njoku is on his $6M 5th year option.  I don’t swap them straight up with that considered. Also I don’t think trading for Njoku this offseason is realistic, but I’d take a look at him next offseason if we are still looking for a TE.  Contract demands, any TE acquisition in this draft and Knox’s development all to be considered in that. 

What I think is important for the Bills is getting another quality TE on the roster.  Knox has shown flashes, but I’m not comfortable with him being our only real option at TE.  I want another for competition and depth.  Realistically that’s probably a draft pick in a couple weeks. 

On 4/11/2021 at 11:40 PM, dma0034 said:

Dude is so over-rated even when he was a Pro Bowler. 

Njoku seems like a nice low risk high reward player. Bills pass more than the Browns and I think he would do much better.

Actually, much bigger investment needed and I have seen nothing from him to indicate "high reward"?  And neither do the Browns, wasn't he 3rd on their depth chart last season? . . . I'm not convinced, all things considered, I still see JJ as the better option.

10 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

The players, yes.  But their contracts complicate matters as Knox is on year 3 of his rookie deal and Njoku is on his $6M 5th year option.  I don’t swap them straight up with that considered. Also I don’t think trading for Njoku this offseason is realistic, but I’d take a look at him next offseason if we are still looking for a TE.  Contract demands, any TE acquisition in this draft and Knox’s development all to be considered in that. 

What I think is important for the Bills is getting another quality TE on the roster.  Knox has shown flashes, but I’m not comfortable with him being our only real option at TE.  I want another for competition and depth.  Realistically that’s probably a draft pick in a couple weeks. 

It will be interesting to see how they see this te class. The early indication is obd is not impressed since they are/were trying to get Ertz plus all the other guys they checked on like Gronk and Olsen, etc. I think that a playoff caliber roster affords you the opportunity to spend a high pick on a te, but it seems like the players avaliable at our position don't match the value, at least in the first round.

It will be interesting to see how it turns out for us because Beane seems to be actively searching for an upgrade.

On 4/11/2021 at 10:43 AM, Inigo Montoya said:

Good article on the Njoku situation. 

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2021/4/10/22376902/will-te-david-njoku-ultimately-become-draft-day-trade-bait

I work with a doc who is a lifelong Browns fan who says the Browns are currently shopping Njoku for a 4th round pick.  His salary this year is $6 million, a number that Beane could put together with a little bit of shuffling around.  It is the 5th and final year of Njoku's rookie contract.  The Browns exercised his 5th year option.  He was the 29th overall selection By the Browns in the 2017 Draft.  The expectation around the NFL is that he will be on another team by the end of the Draft.  A quick Google search brought up several articles focusing on the Cardinals, Cowboys, Panthers, and Rams seeming like good landing places for him.  One also mentioned the Bills in passing.

Njoku injured his wrist and went to IR in 2019 and only played 4 games, and last season he was just swallowed up by the offensive depth on the Browns roster and hasn't been able to produce like expected.  He sure looked good his first two seasons though and he is fully healthy now.  His career stats are linked below.  He is also only 24 and should have plenty of good years ahead of him.  Ertz, who the Bills were rumored to have inquired about, is 30 by comparison.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/N/NjokDa00.htm

Would Beane consider bringing in Njoku on a one year contract as a audition for a possible long term extension, or is the $6 million price tag just too steep for a cap strapped team to pay for a player who could walk in free agency after one season?  The other wild card is that the Browns may be hesitant to trade Njoku to a rival AFC contender.  I wouldn't be surprised at all to see a Battle of Lake Erie in the playoffs this year.

I think he would be a great add for the Bills who are looking to make a run this year and have question marks at the TE position.   Sitting at #30 in this year's Draft there are no good options at the TE position for the Bills.  I think trading for Njoku would be a great use of a 4th round pick if Beane can swing it.

He is worth a 6th based off INJ history, production and Salary (you trade contracts not players). 

• Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

It will be interesting to see how they see this te class. The early indication is obd is not impressed since they are/were trying to get Ertz plus all the other guys they checked on like Gronk and Olsen, etc. I think that a playoff caliber roster affords you the opportunity to spend a high pick on a te, but it seems like the players avaliable at our position don't match the value, at least in the first round.

It will be interesting to see how it turns out for us because Beane seems to be actively searching for an upgrade.

I agree.  I expect Beane to take one at some point, but not early.  There just isn’t anyone worth it except Pitts who will be long gone.

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

I agree.  I expect Beane to take one at some point, but not early.  There just isn’t anyone worth it except Pitts who will be long gone.

I'm thinking early (by the third) or nothing. Obviously they would have to see the value there. I don't know if we need another Gilliam/Becker/Sweeney type, we either need someone to push Knox or don't bother. I'd rather they look for other positions in those later rounds, it doesn't seem like there will be much te talent available later. When they went up for Knox it was because he was the last guy at the tier they wanted, and that was jumping up into the third with two fourth round picks if I remember correctly.