David Njoku, TE Browns, on the trading block...

21 minutes ago, Frat-Train said:

I’d trade Edmunds for him and Cle’s 2nd this year...  There, I said it!!!!

Is a trade thread even official if Edmunds isn’t included in, at least, one proposal?

Edited by SCBills
  • Haha (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Boxcar said:

You'd trade Edmunds for literally anyone, so it isn't saying much.

Literally the first trade I’ve mentioned him on.   🤔

Edit:  Just found a post where I commented on someone else’s trade...   3 months ago.  So yea.  Not sure I understand your post, but no worries.

Edited by Frat-Train
Adding
  • Disagree 1

6 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

The Browns became a ball control, run first team under Stefanski.   Njoku only had 29 targets last season.  By comparison, Dawson Knox who was 6th in targets on the Bills last season, had 44 targets.  I just think Njoku was underutilized in the passing game last season.

The point is: how much did he see the field last season?  Cleveland plays the highest % of 3 TE sets in the league, maybe 6th highest % of 2 TE sets.  But Njoku still saw his playing time nibbled down by a rookie.  He was "underutilized" in part because he dropped on the depth chart to their big FA acquisition, Hooper, but also to their rookie.

Seattle also plays a lot of 2 TE sets - maybe 5th highest %, higher than Cleveland - and with Seattle's FA acquisition of Olsen, Hollister saw his playing time drop, not only to Olsen, but to 3rd year Seattle draft choice Dissly.

My point is if we want to sign a team's #3 TE who had "meh" production last year and got pushed down the depth chart by a FA signing and a younger player, we don't have to trade for him and pay him $6M, we already signed that guy.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

Well, in all honesty Edmunds is terrible, hate to say it.

Doesn’t seem like you hate to say it. Actually seems like you kind of enjoy saying it. 

Either way, you’re wrong. He’s not great, but also not terrible. Maybe you meant to say he’s not great? 

Lets say the Bills listened and traded him for anything. Who would you plug into the starting mlb spot that a.) we can afford, b.) is available, and c.) is better?

If you dont have the answer you’re kinda just saying stuff to say stuff. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

Doesn’t seem like you hate to say it. Actually seems like you kind of enjoy saying it. 

Either way, you’re wrong. He’s not great, but also not terrible. Maybe you meant to say he’s not great? 

Lets say the Bills listened and traded him for anything. Who would you plug into the starting mlb spot that a.) we can afford, b.) is available, and c.) is better?

Just stepping in to say I don’t think he’s terrible at all, but I’d be hesitant to pick up his option.  Also, LB is statistically one of the safer draft positions.  I’d be all for open comp and drafting a player.  But I’m fine keeping him.  Was just making convo on the whole Njoku subject before I was casted as a serial Edmunds hater with malicious intent.

This guy has been on the trading block for what seems like forever.    If he has such great potential why were the Browns so quick to pay Austin Hooper 10 million dollars a year? 

From my standpoint you already have an athletic tight end with bad hands, and good upside on the roster, his name is Dawson Knox.   Njoku was raw and over-drafted to start, dont be the second team to give up a pick for him.  

I’m not opposed to trading Edmunds and drafting a MLB, if the FO thinks that’s feasible.. but the “Edmunds” discussion is always difficult because he has insane potential, yet hasn’t shown a ton relative to his draft position.   The excuse is that he’s young, but it’s not like we were surprised by his youth after we drafted him.. we were aware, and after this year will have to think about whether we pay him or not - no matter how young he is.  

That said, Njoku isn’t a guy I’m willing to have this discussion in relation to.  

Edited by SCBills

13 minutes ago, Frat-Train said:

Just stepping in to say I don’t think he’s terrible at all, but I’d be hesitant to pick up his option.  Also, LB is statistically one of the safer draft positions.  I’d be all for open comp and drafting a player.  But I’m fine keeping him.  Was just making convo on the whole Njoku subject before I was casted as a serial Edmunds hater with malicious intent.

I’d agree with that. I’m not all that high on Edmunds and certainly don’t want to pay him the big bucks he’ll be looking for. 

But teams dont typically trade their starting mlb for peanuts with no plan to fill the position. At this point it would be ridiculous. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

Who would I plug into the starting MLB spot? Probably Zaven Collins. Micah Parsons is incredible but he won’t be there. Collins can manhandle linemen, rush the passer and is a hammer in run support, smart player but not as athletic as Edmunds is in coverage per se but he makes up for it in awareness.

Edmunds consistently shoots the wrong gap and once a lineman engages him he struggles to shed blocks and although he is athletic, he is consistently out of position in coverage and is easily confused by QBs and most packages.

Could the lights turn on for Edmunds this year? Absolutely. I’m a human being, my thoughts are not infallible. I do think Edmunds would be better as an OLB than as a MLB. He is a specimen, if he could grow intellectually as player between the ears he could be a force. Honestly though, I’ve been his biggest critic since the draft, I don’t care how many Pro Bowls he’s been to, wouldn’t pay him. Don’t like how he’s not physical either..

Anyways, I’m not talking for the sake of talking but I do love talking football, maybe more than I should but we all have our vices. No disrespect to you or anyone else on the board, I just don’t like him. It’s a touchy topic here though I get it. Very touchy topic.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BillsCuse said:

He has talent, but never lived up to his hype.  Maybe I would entertain a 4th (which we dont have) if he had more years on his contract.  For a one year rental for 6mil which we dont have either....maybe a 6th rounder if they coukd rework his deal

Maybe a better QB might help Njoku regain his swag?

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

Seems to me that if he can't contribute to the Cleveland Browns,

he can't contribute here.

OBJ was a very productive WR with the NYG. Why the decline in Cle?🤔

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The point is: how much did he see the field last season?  Cleveland plays the highest % of 3 TE sets in the league, maybe 6th highest % of 2 TE sets.  But Njoku still saw his playing time nibbled down by a rookie.  He was "underutilized" in part because he dropped on the depth chart to their big FA acquisition, Hooper, but also to their rookie.

Seattle also plays a lot of 2 TE sets - maybe 5th highest %, higher than Cleveland - and with Seattle's FA acquisition of Olsen, Hollister saw his playing time drop, not only to Olsen, but to 3rd year Seattle draft choice Dissly.

My point is if we want to sign a team's #3 TE who had "meh" production last year and got pushed down the depth chart by a FA signing and a younger player, we don't have to trade for him and pay him $6M, we already signed that guy.

Sometimes all it takes is a change of scenery. Remember Jerry Hughes was a “meh” player in Indy. 

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

Who would I plug into the starting MLB spot? Probably Zaven Collins. Micah Parsons is incredible but he won’t be there. Collins can manhandle linemen, rush the passer and is a hammer in run support, smart player but not as athletic as Edmunds is in coverage per se but he makes up for it in awareness.

Edmunds consistently shoots the wrong gap and once a lineman engages him he struggles to shed blocks and although he is athletic, he is consistently out of position in coverage and is easily confused by QBs and most packages.

Could the lights turn on for Edmunds this year? Absolutely. I’m a human being, my thoughts are not infallible. I do think Edmunds would be better as an OLB than as a MLB. He is a specimen, if he could grow intellectually as player between the ears he could be a force. Honestly though, I’ve been his biggest critic since the draft, I don’t care how many Pro Bowls he’s been to, wouldn’t pay him. Don’t like how he’s not physical either..

Anyways, I’m not talking for the sake of talking but I do love talking football, maybe more than I should but we all have our vices. No disrespect to you or anyone else on the board, I just don’t like him. It’s a touchy topic here though I get it. Very touchy topic.

In another post, the poster’s thought was why not draft Zaven Collins @30, plug him into Milano’s position and use Milano in the “big nickel” position?

1 minute ago, Solomon Grundy said:

In another post, the poster’s thought was why not draft Zaven Collins @30, plug him into Milano’s position and use Milano in the “big nickel” position?

I think you would have to put Edmunds in Milano’s old position and Collins would play in Edmunds old spot.

40 minutes ago, Frat-Train said:

Yeah, it's going to be interesting to see if the Bills pick up his option or not.  Some defensive teammates in interviews have mentioned him as the leader on D.  McDermott acknowledged mid-season they need more difference-making plays from him, but he, Frazier, and Beane still speak very positively about him.

May 5th (I think) is the deadline for the Bills picking up his 5th year option, which I believe is fully guaranteed on that day.  That's gonna indicate more about how the Bills truly see him, than all the talky-talking they do.

• Like (+1) 2