David Njoku, TE Browns, on the trading block...

Good article on the Njoku situation. 

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2021/4/10/22376902/will-te-david-njoku-ultimately-become-draft-day-trade-bait

I work with a doc who is a lifelong Browns fan who says the Browns are currently shopping Njoku for a 4th round pick.  His salary this year is $6 million, a number that Beane could put together with a little bit of shuffling around.  It is the 5th and final year of Njoku's rookie contract.  The Browns exercised his 5th year option.  He was the 29th overall selection By the Browns in the 2017 Draft.  The expectation around the NFL is that he will be on another team by the end of the Draft.  A quick Google search brought up several articles focusing on the Cardinals, Cowboys, Panthers, and Rams seeming like good landing places for him.  One also mentioned the Bills in passing.

Njoku injured his wrist and went to IR in 2019 and only played 4 games, and last season he was just swallowed up by the offensive depth on the Browns roster and hasn't been able to produce like expected.  He sure looked good his first two seasons though and he is fully healthy now.  His career stats are linked below.  He is also only 24 and should have plenty of good years ahead of him.  Ertz, who the Bills were rumored to have inquired about, is 30 by comparison.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/N/NjokDa00.htm

Would Beane consider bringing in Njoku on a one year contract as a audition for a possible long term extension, or is the $6 million price tag just too steep for a cap strapped team to pay for a player who could walk in free agency after one season?  The other wild card is that the Browns may be hesitant to trade Njoku to a rival AFC contender.  I wouldn't be surprised at all to see a Battle of Lake Erie in the playoffs this year.

I think he would be a great add for the Bills who are looking to make a run this year and have question marks at the TE position.   Sitting at #30 in this year's Draft there are no good options at the TE position for the Bills.  I think trading for Njoku would be a great use of a 4th round pick if Beane can swing it.

• Like (+1) 2

We don't have a 4th but if they'd take one of our 5ths then I'd do it in a heartbeat. Before Kyle Pitts this year he was the highest grade I have ever given to a tight end. He has had some injury issues and some drops but talent wise he is another level to what we have.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 2

I’d sooner give up a 4th or 5th for Njoku than I would Ertz. At only 24, he’s got a lot of days ahead of him and I’d like to see our coaches get a crack at making him “the best version of himself”. That’s not to say I wouldn’t also trade a 4th or 5th for Ertz if that’s what Beane wants to do, but I lean to the younger player if we are giving up 4 years of a cost controlled asset. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3

He has talent, but never lived up to his hype.  Maybe I would entertain a 4th (which we dont have) if he had more years on his contract.  For a one year rental for 6mil which we dont have either....maybe a 6th rounder if they coukd rework his deal

Thats my tweet on Njoku a while ago. I still really like the player and he's a tremendous value right now in terms of the draft capital it would likely take to acquire him

Edited by DJB
  • Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Njoku injured his wrist and went to IR in 2019 and only played 4 games, and last season he was just swallowed up by the offensive depth on the Browns roster and hasn't been able to produce like expected. 

Good.  We need a new Pufnstuf! 😁

Can't do a little 'cause he can't do enough...because he's inactive for today's game.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
Catchy lyrics

17 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Good article on the Njoku situation. 

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2021/4/10/22376902/will-te-david-njoku-ultimately-become-draft-day-trade-bait

I work with a doc who is a lifelong Browns fan who says the Browns are currently shopping Njoku for a 4th round pick.  His salary this year is $6 million, a number that Beane could put together with a little bit of shuffling around.  It is the 5th and final year of Njoku's rookie contract.  The Browns exercised his 5th year option.  He was the 29th overall selection By the Browns in the 2017 Draft.  The expectation around the NFL is that he will be on another team by the end of the Draft.  A quick Google search brought up several articles focusing on the Cardinals, Cowboys, Panthers, and Rams seeming like good landing places for him.  One also mentioned the Bills in passing.

Njoku injured his wrist and went to IR in 2019 and only played 4 games, and last season he was just swallowed up by the offensive depth on the Browns roster and hasn't been able to produce like expected.  He sure looked good his first two seasons though and he is fully healthy now.  His career stats are linked below.  He is also only 24 and should have plenty of good years ahead of him.  Ertz, who the Bills were rumored to have inquired about, is 30 by comparison.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/N/NjokDa00.htm

I think you kind of answered your own question.  Njoku got pushed to #3 on the Browns TE lineup by the upgrade they felt they needed (Hooper) and a 4th round rookie Bryant.

Difference makers don't get "swallowed up by the offensive depth" at TE, especially when that depth is not stunningly productive - Bryant had 238 yds on 38 targets, 24 receptions and Hooper had his worst offensive productivity since his rookie season with 46 receptions on 70 targets for 435 yds.

Njoku really had one promising year to my view of those statistics, his 2nd.  The Bills already did the experiment of paying $$ to a "buried on the depth chart" guy who had one good season, with Tyler Kroft.

If the question is "What #3 TE in his 4th season who played on a contending team last year can we pick up as an audition for a long-term contract?" the answer is already on our roster, we didn't have to trade for him, he didn't cost us $6M cap, and he's previously accustomed to catching stuff Allen flings in his general direction.

• Like (+1) 7

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think you kind of answered your own question.  Njoku got pushed to #3 on the Browns TE lineup by the upgrade they felt they needed (Hooper) and a 4th round rookie Bryant.

Difference makers don't get "swallowed up by the offensive depth" at TE, especially when that depth is not stunningly productive - Bryant had 238 yds on 38 targets, 24 receptions and Hooper had his worst offensive productivity since his rookie season with 46 receptions on 70 targets for 435 yds.

Njoku really had one promising year to my view of those statistics, his 2nd.  The Bills already did the experiment of paying $$ to a "buried on the depth chart" guy who had one good season, with Tyler Kroft.

If the question is "What #3 TE in his 4th season who played on a contending team last year can we pick up as an audition for a long-term contract?" the answer is already on our roster, we didn't have to trade for him, he didn't cost us $6M cap, and he's previously accustomed to catching stuff Allen flings in his general direction.

The Browns became a ball control, run first team under Stefanski.   Njoku only had 29 targets last season.  By comparison, Dawson Knox who was 6th in targets on the Bills last season, had 44 targets.  I just think Njoku was underutilized in the passing game last season.

🍻

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Definitely count me in on Njoku and I would take him over James without a second thought. Insanely athletic and underutilized in Cleveland. A combo of him and Knox would be a matchup problem for defenses every week. It also gives Josh another big, talented target. I'd send a 5th and a conditional late rounder in 2022. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Seems to me that if he can't contribute to the Cleveland Browns,

he can't contribute here.

Possibly, but think of all the weeping, wailing, and hand wringing threads he would cause here on a weekly basis: 'Njoku inactive again?!?'

2 minutes ago, Boxcar said:

You'd trade Edmunds for literally anyone, so it isn't saying much.

Throw in Sherlock Holmes and you have yourself a deal!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 3