Jesse James drawing interest from Bills

31 minutes ago, BillsDude said:

Thinking Bills are bluffing. Signed Hollister. Rumored Jesse James. Then right before they pretend to pull the trigger on that, Bam!  Eagles come begging for a 6th from the Bills for Erst. Beane then says, "We do not really want him now, but throw in a few bags of donuts, and we'll take that TE off your hands." 

I love the story, but I don't see it happening that way.

5 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

A hooker, an outlaw, and a lamp walk into a bar…

Is the bar in Buffalo...

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

One of the things I like about Beane's roster building is that while publicly expressing great confidence in his players, he's also quietly bringing in players who are either cautionary tales or outright throw-downs to compete.

Josh Allen is the undoubted starter and Beane/McDermott have expressed great confidence and belief in him.

But then they signed Trubisky for $2.5M, the 2017 #2 pick of the draft, who was a pro-bowl selection and helped his team reach the playoffs his 2nd year, just as Josh did.  Maybe it's just me, but I see a cautionary tale there: "Josh, we love you...but don't slack off, because you can go from Hero to Zero in a hurry if you stop Grinding and striving to be better with all your might"

Dawson Knox was our 2019 3rd round pick and the Bills have publicly praised his athleticism and potential.  He also has had public praise from Josh Allen, and seems to have formed a bond of friendship.  But here comes Jake Hollister, who has longer-standing bonds of friendship with Josh, and who. while getting the lower opportunities of an UDFA and lower snaps in the game, showed almost as much productivity as Knox in the passing game in 2020:

image.png.2079375a903982e2b754902c32975f0b.png

Hollister played ~37% of the Seasnakes offensive snaps, while Knox played ~63% of the Bills offensive snaps

Hollister had a catch % of 62.5%, 5% drops, 0 fumbles vs Knox 54.5%, 9.1% drops, 2 fumbles.

I think there might be a message there for Knox: "we love your potential, but you have to Show Up and Show Out"

James didn't see a lot of targets for his playing time in Detroit, but he too had a higher catch % and lower drops than Knox the last 2 years, said to block well, and contributed more when he was in Pittsburgh.  If the idea is he's a good blocking TE who can actually run routes and gain separation better than Smith, I'm for it.  He's a big sucka too - 6'7"

Very solid post.

The one thing I'll add is this: Hall of Fame WR James Lofton once said something along the lines of, "You don't judge a RB by how many carries he has. It's yards, baby!" Meaning, that you should judge a WR (or in this case a TE) by his receiving yardage. By that standard, according to the numbers in your own post, Hollister was actually more productive than Knox, with 288 receiving yards to Knox's 209.

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Arm of Harm said:

Very solid post.

The one thing I'll add is this: Hall of Fame WR James Lofton once said something along the lines of, "You don't judge a RB by how many carries he has. It's yards, baby!" Meaning, that you should judge a WR (or in this case a TE) by his receiving yardage. By that standard, according to the numbers in your own post, Hollister was actually more productive than Knox, with 288 receiving yards to Knox's 209.

It's actually the other way around. Knox had 288 yds not Hollister. 

• Shocked 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Arm of Harm said:

Very solid post.

Thanks for the kind words.

I believe you have those numbers swapped: Knox had 288 receiving yards in 12 games, and Hollister had 208 receiving yards in 16 games.

Knox also had 12 Y/R vs Hollister 8.4 Y/R, which along with the "Yards, Baby!" would seem to have Lofton's words favoring Knox. (Looked at as yds/target, the difference narrows because Hollister caught 8% more of the targets that came his way - 6.5 yds/tgt for Knox vs 5.2 yds/tgt for Hollister)

My point is when one looks under the hood, while Hollister had fewer yards overall and fewer yards per game, he was actually ON THE FIELD for offensive snaps a lot less than Knox.  I'm not exactly sure how best to normalize this, but Hollister was on the field for approximately 37% of 1024 snaps, or 374 snaps.  Knox was on the field for 63% of the snaps in 12 games, or 487 snaps. 

So if you want to look at it as something like receiving yards generated per offensive snap, neither are great, but Hollister was responsible for 0.56 receiving yards/snap while Knox was responsible for 0.59 receiving yds/snap - very close to the same production per snap, especially considering I believe Hollister was used more as a blocking TE.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

17 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Meh. I said when Detroit signed him he is not that good but as a low cost / high reward shot to nothing I wouldn't hate it.

Don't hate it but difficult to get excited about. The guy would just add to a list of Bill tight ends that ooze mediocracy.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

We don’t even need the draft.  Trade every pick for Pitts.

Are you the reincarnation of Ditka with the Ricky Williams trade?  I’m hopeful you’re kidding.

As far as this guy, it sounds like a Beane pick.  Upgrade from Kroft and Smith, cheap, can block well, had better hands in Pitt., and is still young. It makes a great deal of sense so wouldn’t surprise me.

I love that the interest is being reported.  I hope this serves as a negotiation tool to Philly.  Could send a signal that the Bills are standing firm in their valuation of Ertz's trade value (no 3rd). 

If Philly doesn't move Ertz for the right price, Jesse would work.