Jesse James drawing interest from Bills

13 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

Smith is an easy target for fans because he doesn’t make many eye opening plays, those same fans keeping harping on how important Star is. 

Smith played a similar role on offense for the Bills as Star does on D.

I think he is easily replaceable but he had a did have a good season. The only time he bothered me was when he was getting flags. I’d like to see some 2020 stats with Smith on the field vs. Smith off the field. 

Smith is an easy target because for the amount of time he actually plays, he commits an atrocious amount of penalties.  Look at his snap share.. he plays like 15% of plays but yearly has more penalties than 95% of the team.  I just don't get what the draw is for a player that commits penalties at such a rate

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SmitLe00.htm

• Dislike 1

18 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

Smith is an easy target for fans because he doesn’t make many eye opening plays, those same fans keeping harping on how important Star is. 

I think the analogy between Smith's role and Star's role has merit, although a difference is that DTs are typically not expected to fill several roles - we don't typically expect a DT to drop back in coverage, for example.  But a TE who is a strong contributor is expected to be able to run routes and draw defensive attention to cover him, as well as to block both in line and downfield.

I think you'd find it difficult to demonstrate that in fact, it's the same people who point out Star's importance yet diss Smith.

2 minutes ago, berg1029 said:

Smith is an easy target because for the amount of time he actually plays, he commits an atrocious amount of penalties.  Look at his snap share.. he plays like 15% of plays but yearly has more penalties than 95% of the team.  I just don't get what the draw is for a player that commits penalties at such a rate

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SmitLe00.htm

The reference that would support your view is this:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SmitLe00/penalties

However, it's worth pointing out that Smith drew 0 penalties in 2020.  This despite playing >25% of the snaps (up to 41%) in the last 6 games.

He also drew no penalties in 2019 after the Cleveland game where McDermott called him out saying "he's got to get locked in" - again, while taking 20% or more (up to 48%) of the snaps in 3 games.

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Facetious?

If his ball security is questionable, wouldn't you want to ...not pass?

Factual: 0 career fumbles.  2 drops on 49 targets in 2 years with Detroit.

Totally facetious.

I have no actual opinion about this man. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The reference that would support your view is this:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SmitLe00/penalties

However, it's worth pointing out that Smith drew 0 penalties in 2020.  This despite playing >25% of the snaps (up to 41%) in the last 6 games.

He also drew no penalties in 2019 after the Cleveland game where McDermott called him out saying "he's got to get locked in" - again, while taking 20% or more (up to 48%) of the snaps in 3 games.

Yes, the penalties is section is relevant, but I linked the main one b/c it contains snap counts.  Everyone knows he commits a lot of penalties.

And yeah, it is a relevant point that he didn't commit any penalties in 2020.  However, I find it hard to believe that suddenly he has fixed his sloppiness how many years later.  It certainly is possible, but I'm more likely to believe that he still has the same issues and 2020 is an aberration

• Dislike 1

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

Anything that brings Sandra to the bills

Seriously thought.....I just got this gut feeling about Hollister.....yes he is Josh buddy but there is actually some talent there

Like others have said, Knox, James and Hollister seem like a pretty good way to go into 2021.

Sweeney and maybe a late round BPA TE pushing as competition will also be hopeful.  

• Agree 1

37 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Like others have said, Knox, James and Hollister seem like a pretty good way to go into 2021.

Sweeney and maybe a late round BPA TE pushing as competition will also be hopeful.  

One of the things I like about Beane's roster building is that while publicly expressing great confidence in his players, he's also quietly bringing in players who are either cautionary tales or outright throw-downs to compete.

Josh Allen is the undoubted starter and Beane/McDermott have expressed great confidence and belief in him.

But then they signed Trubisky for $2.5M, the 2017 #2 pick of the draft, who was a pro-bowl selection and helped his team reach the playoffs his 2nd year, just as Josh did.  Maybe it's just me, but I see a cautionary tale there: "Josh, we love you...but don't slack off, because you can go from Hero to Zero in a hurry if you stop Grinding and striving to be better with all your might"

Dawson Knox was our 2019 3rd round pick and the Bills have publicly praised his athleticism and potential.  He also has had public praise from Josh Allen, and seems to have formed a bond of friendship.  But here comes Jake Hollister, who has longer-standing bonds of friendship with Josh, and who. while getting the lower opportunities of an UDFA and lower snaps in the game, showed almost as much productivity as Knox in the passing game in 2020:

image.png.2079375a903982e2b754902c32975f0b.png

Hollister played ~37% of the Seasnakes offensive snaps, while Knox played ~63% of the Bills offensive snaps

Hollister had a catch % of 62.5%, 5% drops, 0 fumbles vs Knox 54.5%, 9.1% drops, 2 fumbles.

I think there might be a message there for Knox: "we love your potential, but you have to Show Up and Show Out"

James didn't see a lot of targets for his playing time in Detroit, but he too had a higher catch % and lower drops than Knox the last 2 years, said to block well, and contributed more when he was in Pittsburgh.  If the idea is he's a good blocking TE who can actually run routes and gain separation better than Smith, I'm for it.  He's a big sucka too - 6'7"

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, CommonCents said:

Smith played a similar role on offense for the Bills as Star does on D.

Agreed with a caveat.  Only if Daboll's game plan for the week calls for him as he was a healthy scratch in six games I believe.  I just assumed Gilliam or even Becker would take over his role this year.

Andre Roberts will be the most missed Bill next year.

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think there might be a message there for Knox: "we love your potential, but you have to Show Up and Show Out"

The more we see from Beane I put him the "Fair but Firm" category.  I can't ask for more than that from him.

• Agree 1

Thinking Bills are bluffing. Signed Hollister. Rumored Jesse James. Then right before they pretend to pull the trigger on that, Bam!  Eagles come begging for a 6th from the Bills for Erst. Beane then says, "We do not really want him now, but throw in a few bags of donuts, and we'll take that TE off your hands." 

• Like (+1) 1