NFL admits it screwed Buffalo 15 months after-the-fact

3 hours ago, Utah John said:

Ford was in front of the guy, so how this is considered "blind side" is a mystery.

Landry was in front of Aaron Williams

rEagerCandidCopepod-size_restricted.gif

On this play Josh Allen was in front of the defender.......Ford came from behind and to the side

Ford_blindside_block_.gif

Both defensive players saw the blocker at the last moment but it wasn't enough time to defend themselves.

Ford did not need to lead with his shoulder he just needed to extend his arm and delay the defender for a split second and there would have been no penalty.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Utah John said:

Ford was in front of the guy, so how this is considered "blind side" is a mystery.

I would suggest reading the rule. The important part is coming back towards your own end zone. Ford did that.

The only argument is whether or not his hit was "forcible" contact or not. The word forcible implies "vigorous or strong". It wasn't a big hit, but Ford did thrust forward, leading with his shoulder, and almost left the ground with the force of his contact. The defender was able to defend himself and counter the momentum pretty well, which is partly why the hit did not seem like much, in my opinion.

I thought it was a good call at the time, albeit ticky-tack.

8 hours ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

I thought the replacement refs were better.

I agree- the absurd part was the officials got blamed for the "fail mary" which was two guys fighting for a ball. In real time it is hard to tell what happened. It is 1/10th as bad as the interception by Josh in the Rams game, which was clear on replay.

9 hours ago, Utah John said:

Several points:

-- The Saints got screwed in their game against the Rams FAR worse than the Bills got screwed on the Cody Ford block.

-- The Ford block was NOT a blind-side hit.  Ford was in front and to the side of the defender.  The defender had every opportunity to see Ford.  The defender ran into Ford more than Ford ran into him.

-- The second-half kickoff referee invention was worse than the Ford call.

-- The Bills would have won on a previous play if (1) three of them had bothered to block one defender on the Josh Allen sweep, or (2) the defender who evaded those blocks and who tackled Allen with an illegal helmet to helmet hit, had been penalized.

-- The Bills would have won if Milano had sacked Watson, instead of bouncing off of him, on the play where Watson's short pass got run almost to the end zone, setting the game winning field goal.  

I do not agree that by losing this game, the Bills were motivated to get better.  It was clear all season that we needed better WRs, and Beane would have made the Diggs trade whether we had won that game or not.  Also, there were Bills on that team who weren't on the team the next year, and they deserved a chance to play again.

Don’t forget about that 3rd and 18 when the play clock expired.   Can’t believe the D gave up a 1st down. 

If the Bills won I wonder if the higher draft position would have not been enough to get Diggs.   NE would have had a lower spot. 

NFL *****...You...  You decide after the fact who you screwed and used it as an instructional video. Kiss the wide parts of my ass. 

The lesson to be learned here is you want to be is marketable. If you are marketable you get the calls. If not, you aren't.  In 2019 Watson was more marketable than Allen. Now? Not so much. The NFL just told you you, if this happened today this is how it would be called.

Edited by That's No Moon
  • Like (+1) 1

When i first saw the replay of the block i couldn't see where Ford was in the wrong it looked as if he hit him more from the side than on the blind side but it just goes to figure it would go that way .

All Bills fans including Cody Ford have a right to be a bit pissed i thought these guys were professionals ...

Edited by T master

5 hours ago, BillsfaninSB said:

Don’t forget about that 3rd and 18 when the play clock expired.   Can’t believe the D gave up a 1st down. 

If the Bills won I wonder if the higher draft position would have not been enough to get Diggs.   NE would have had a lower spot. 

Playoff game wins and losses don't affect the order of draft picks.

It was ticky tack for sure but in any game there are close/bad calls that can go either way.  Of course if your team loses and a call could have affected the outcome it is always something to remember.  But in almost any close NFL game, you can find this kind of thing.  The key is to not put it in the refs hand.  That game should never have been so close.  I blame the offensive game plan and conservative approach in the second half more.  Also, for anyone who was at that game watching pre game kicking, I have no confidence Haushka would hit a 55 yards, I am not even sure they would have attempted it which is not the point but there could be more critical calls.....Like the one in NO vs the Rams.

14 minutes ago, mattynh said:

It was ticky tack for sure but in any game there are close/bad calls that can go either way.  Of course if your team loses and a call could have affected the outcome it is always something to remember.  But in almost any close NFL game, you can find this kind of thing.  The key is to not put it in the refs hand.  That game should never have been so close.  I blame the offensive game plan and conservative approach in the second half more.  Also, for anyone who was at that game watching pre game kicking, I have no confidence Haushka would hit a 55 yards, I am not even sure they would have attempted it which is not the point but there could be more critical calls.....Like the one in NO vs the Rams.

Hauschka was 4/4 that game with a 38 yarder, two 40 yarders , and a 47 yarder as time expired to send the game into overtime.  I would have put the game on his foot in that situation.

Edited by Inigo Montoya

The most important aspect (common sense part, if you will) of the rule is injury to the defenseless player. The Texans defender was able to brace himself because he saw Ford coming and as a result the hit was no worse than any other “seeing side” collision.

9 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

https://www.houstontexans.com/video/highlights-watson-converts-the-two-point-conversion

Same game, same foul by the letter of the law. No call.

Good example of a smart, instinctive, aware player cleverly circumventing the rule.........versus a mental mistake factory like 2019 Cody Ford.

Johnson clearly knew the rule so he didn't turn to face Edmunds and draw the attention of the official(smart).........felt the backside pursuit of Edmunds(instinctive).......made a snap decision to fake that he was being forced involuntarily backwards by the defender in order to intercept Edmunds(aware).