NFL admits it screwed Buffalo 15 months after-the-fact

Everyone gets screwed and sometimes at terrible times like the Saints in the playoffs.  That one sucked for them.  I’m with Virgil.  This team galvanized around that loss.  They didn’t whine over the call.

I remember when younger, a tough loss can fuel you to work that much harder.  Even coaching my boys when younger in a football game, we lost to some very good coaches of another team.  My coaching staff and myself were so focused on helping our kids get better,it was so sweet when we beat them in a rematch.  

The best way my oldest son scored 80 yards on the first play of the game and the opposing defensive coach almost lost his mind.  He was such a tool and my boys (the team) outplayed them so much and the other coach was going so nuts the red ejected him.  It was so sweet.

This team will not forget about the chiefs and given their character we’re going to see a different outcome next year.  That one is penciled on their calendar.

4 hours ago, TBBills said:

Already got the apology when the Texans imploded and Watson started being a serial massage rapist.

C'mon man ... Watson didn't rape anyone, he was just asking for extras. It makes him a creep, not a rapist.

As far as the league admitting the officials screwed us on the Ford block and denying the Bills a TD on the kickoff (not the Bills fault the Texans player didn't know the rules) I believe a little compensation should be handed down to the Bills. Considering it was a playoff game, the #1 pick in the draft this year and taking away a patriots comp pick would be just.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I started a thread on this BS blind side block penalty after the game and there was some fool arguing with me that Ford’s block was a penalty despite what was painfully obvious to everyone, that it was a horrifically bad call with game changing implications in the playoffs.

If I was the vindictive type I’d pull up that thread just to shove it back in his troll face, but I’m not that kinda guy.....

I agree with the posters above, two things need to happen next, an official mea culpa letter from the NFL to the Bills, and second, they need to cut Cody Ford a check with interest for their ridiculous, covering their own ass fine.

32 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I’ll find the thread!

Pretty sure I know who it was.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Using it as an example of an acceptable hit is admitting it was the wrong call.  Now it's possible they sent a letter to the Bills soon after and that was never made public, but that's speculation.

I get that.  But I doubt the Bills got an admission of fault from the league around the same time that same league were fining Ford.  Ofc now the league may just say something like the interpretation of the rule has been changed since that game.  Honestly I doubt they ever even address it.

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

The funny thing is that the NFL has not even directly said they were wrong on the original call.  I mean, sure, they are now using it as an example of a legal block, but I’m missing the actual mea culpa.  

That's because it's not AT ALL an admission that it was called wrong..........they called the play the exact same way as they had called it all season.

It's simply an amendment to how they want it called going forward..........giving the official leeway to not make an auto-call when a blocker throws a less-than-full shoulder into a blindsided defender.

But it would be stupid to assume that you won't get a penalty for it now.........more often than not the blindsided defender is in a very poor position with regard to making the tackle...........so without that very broad definition of a blindside hit......defenders will just be taught to embellish the hit and draw the flag.

The bottom line is that if you are in position to throw your shoulder into an unwitting player then you are capable of making a less violent block.

The same people who b*tched about this were crying like babies when career long cheap-shot artist Aaron Williams had his bubble gum and popsicle sticks spilled on the field by a traditionally legal but dangerous block by Jarvis Landry.    

You can't have it both ways, ladies.😘

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, The Red King said:

No goal is eternal BS.  The Music City Miracle no-call doesn't bother me as badly.  That pass was close, and the no-call wouldn't have mattered if we just covered the freakin' kickoff properly!

As for this, he better be getting his fine $$$ back!  The NFL makes truckloads of cash, they need to up their officiating.  If they accept only the elite as players, and pay them accordingly, the same should be true of the officials.

Aren't fines donated to charities?   

The NFL should repay him not taking the money from charity even though the referees have no fault insurance.

53 minutes ago, 298Woody said:

Because of this play Deshawn Watson got the win and a big contract for his heroics on a game he should have lost.

So Texans got screwed :devil:

1 hour ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I started a thread on this BS blind side block penalty after the game and there was some fool arguing with me that Ford’s block was a penalty despite what was painfully obvious to everyone, that it was a horrifically bad call with game changing implications in the playoffs.

If I was the vindictive type I’d pull up that thread just to shove it back in his troll face, but I’m not that kinda guy.....

I agree with the posters above, two things need to happen next, an official mea culpa letter from the NFL to the Bills, and second, they need to cut Cody Ford a check with interest for their ridiculous, covering their own ass fine.

Why bother with interest?  Interest saving rate is almost 0.  I have closed accounts at banks since it is so low.

36 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

So what if this is part of Cody Ford taking down watson? Concocted this whole massage therapist as revenge on watson for that game? Just spending his IR quarantine doing this? 

If they ever revive the television series 'Columbo', we're pitching you as a writer. 😁

9 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

But maybe they did us a favor as the article referenced... got us Diggs and a hungry and much-improved Josh Allen

https://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/2021/04/nfl-officiating-admits-blown-blindside-block-call-in-bills-wild-card-loss-to-texans.html?outputType=amp

NFL officiating admits blown blindside block call in Bills’ Wild Card loss to Texans

Thanks NFL!!! Just DON'T DO IT AGAIN!!!

F the NFL.  

It’s obscene calls like this that impact the outcome of a game, after 58 minutes of mugging, holding, head shots and evil Blackspidermen officials descending from the bleachers that have folks thinking the fix is in. 

Defending the call and fining the player shortly thereafter reinforces the notion, and an irrelevant “oops” in a post-mortem long after the fact is irrelevant.  

It was called consistent with the times. The NFL is reinforcing the part of the rule that states it must be a forcible hit. It's a good development. The blindside block is vicious but if there is no violent collision the league shouldn't care what direction the block is occurring. 

The intent of the rule is to avoid the hit that Hines Ward would routinely deliver to unsuspecting defenders.

Good move. Nobody wants to see tick tack calls on rules like this. Just like getting rid of the incidental face mask penalty.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

Just now, BarleyNY said:

I get that.  But I doubt the Bills got an admission of fault from the league around the same time that same league were fining Ford.  Ofc now the league may just say something like the interpretation of the rule has been changed since that game.  Honestly I doubt they ever even address it.

I doubt they changed the interpretation as. again, it was neither blindsided nor vicious.  As for what they communicated to the Bills then or now, I don't know.  It just seems odd that they'd use it as an example of an acceptable block without informing the Bills or thinking they or Ford/his agent wouldn't find out.