Does TE Pitts Make this Offense Elite?

Rebel101

54 minutes ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

Maybe I don't understand the meaning of Elite? We have an outstanding (possibly elite) passing offense and an average at best run offense. To me that would be a Great offense,  but not elite...🤔. Elite in my eyes would be at least top 5 in both pass and run. No?

It’s really hard to be top 5 in both. 

the chiefs weren’t top 5 rushing offense in 2019.  They were an elite offense 

26 minutes ago, NewEra said:

It’s really hard to be top 5 in both. 

the chiefs weren’t top 5 rushing offense in 2019.  They were an elite offense 

Wasn't trying to be argumentative, just trying to understand what people's idea is of Elite. When I think of Elite offenses, I think about Rams 2000-2001. Similar to Defense 85 Bears, 2000 Ravens. All of those I would consider "Elite". I get it, it's hard, but isn't that what Elite is supposed to be or mean? Best of the Best?

Assuming you have to trade up to 4 or 5 to get Pitts it would probably cost you at best picks 30, 61 and this years third and next years first. That’s a lot to give up for a freaking TE. I get the need for an elite TE and great teams usually have them.

However great TE’s are found all over the draft. Gronk, Ertz and Kelce were second round picks, Kittle a 5th round pick and Waller a 6th round pick. Running down the list of the better TE’s in the league and you don’t see many first round picks. TJ Hockenson and Evan Engram are just two good but not elite TE’s in the league drafted in the first round.

The history of the position just isn’t strong for super high draft picks. So while I like Pitts I just don’t see him being worth the risk. Take the best players with your first three picks and hope they make the impact needed to help the team short and long term.

43 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

I could have sworn I heard this from so many posters in Eric Ebron's draft year. Tight Ends don't usually come in and dominate right away, Pitts could be the exception but I'm going to go out on the limb and say he struggles in year 1. 

He might have a nice season 50+ receptions, 600 yards and 5-7 TD’s but that’s not going to live up to his hype. In order for him to live up to expectations he is going to have to push 1000 yards and 10 TD’s.

18 minutes ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

Wasn't trying to be argumentative, just trying to understand what people's idea is of Elite. When I think of Elite offenses, I think about Rams 2000-2001. Similar to Defense 85 Bears, 2000 Ravens. All of those I would consider "Elite". I get it, it's hard, but isn't that what Elite is supposed to be or mean? Best of the Best?

what other elite offenses are there?  The 2007 pats, 2013 Broncos, 1990 Bills?  None were close to top 5 in both.  

I believe there are 2 offenses ever that finished top 5 passing and rushing.  The Rams and the 2016 falcons. 

I don’t think being well balanced is the key to being elite.  Being unstoppable is.  

last years Bills O may have been  “elite” when compared to the other teams in the league last season.  Definitely not elite compared to all time

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, NewEra said:

what other elite offenses are there?  The 2007 pats, 2013 Broncos, 1990 Bills?  None were close to top 5 in both.  

I believe there are 2 offenses ever that finished top 5 passing and rushing.  The Rams and the 2016 falcons. 

I don’t think being well balanced is the key to being elite.  Being unstoppable is.  

last years Bills O may have been  “elite” when compared to the other teams in the league last season.  Definitely not elite compared to all time

2011 Saints? 2008 Rams?

With your last statement, it clarifies for me what Elite means when people use it. I compare it to historical teams and not just a current year. Thanks, that helps.👍

Edited by LyndonvilleBill

8 minutes ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

2011 Saints?

With your last statement, it clarifies for me what Elite means when people use it. I compare it to historical teams and not just a current year. Thanks, that helps.👍

And that Saints team wasn’t even top 5 in rushing.  Like I said, tough to be top 5 in both passing and rushing. 

I think my last statement should clarify that people can use the term “elite” in a variety of ways.  I consider “elite” an all time term.  Meaning last year bills O was definitely not elite.  

But you’re just comparing them to other teams last season, being a top 3-4 offense might be regarded as one of the elite offenses for that season. Semantics.  

I think the record shows that elite defense and a reliable offense is what wins in the playoffs and SB.  KC has an elite offense, they got shut down and their D got crushed by a reliable offense.  Same the year before, and generally speaking the team in the SB with the better scoring defense, wins.  

Offensive fireworks are always sexy, but defense still wins championships.  We saw it last year, the year before....