Does TE Pitts Make this Offense Elite?

Rebel101

6 hours ago, Virgil said:

I'm starting to think he's either going to go #4 overall or he's going to be the hyped guy that drops in the draft.  The Falcons, Cowboys, and Bengals have all been a little too vocal about their interest in him

I don't understand what being "a little to vocal" means with regard to draft position.

Explain?

Kyle Pitts would be an ideal addition to this offense but his hype is unreal. I watched him over the yrs at UF and he is special, but he is a one dimensional TE - he is basically a WR with unreal size.  I’m also not sure how well this offense utilizes the TE position although you probably would modify with a talent like that.  Against a physical secondary he would shake free and give Josh a huge target, but there is no way the Bills trade up to get him bc the Panthers already traded for a bust QB (Trubisky has at least had success) and Beane was asleep at the wheel on that one. JK.  

if the Bills were looking for another WR from UF - Grimes is the guy that will likely see more success than he had in college in the pros.  He has a big frame and goes after the ball well on 50/50s.  Probably a late round pick.  Good speed and athleticism for being 6’4” and in the right situation like Buffalo could really develop.

Edited by Ayjent

8 hours ago, Rebel101 said:

N what could it take to draft him and should we be willing to go for it? 

I’ll start with - couldn’t this have been part of at least 2-3 other threads about getting Pitts - like the dumb trading with Atlanta at #4 thread - it surely did not need an additional lamp thread on its own.

As stated in other threads: The Bills offense was elite last year and TEs rarely transition to the NFL and make any difference in year 1 or even year 2 - especially highly targeted TE in the top 10.  They typically reach JAG level by year 3 after being sub-par for years 1-2.

This coaching staff rarely use rookies to a big extent because of analytics suggesting their drop off after 8-9 games - so Bills rookies especially have little to no impact until the second half the season when they start to get limited playing time if they earn it.  I doubt Pitts sees the field more than 3-4 plays a game until half way through - where if he earns it - maybe that doubles.  I don’t think he sees enough plays to be a difference maker year 1.

The Bills offense and Josh Allen have been a WR driven team and we have 4 strong WRs to spread teams out.  I am not sure adding Pitts changes that meaning Pitts fills the roll Knox played - H back blocking out of the backfield to provide time and dump off route - which is not the strength and usage you want from Pitts.

Cost would be stupid to go get a TE.  They bust at a high rate, have a low transition rate to NFL ball, the top tight ends in the league were all later round picks and even UDFAs - there isn’t a TE from top of the first round that is not grouped in with the rest of the average TEs and if you figure you are most likely moving into the top 5 and definitely top 10 - you are giving up #1 and #2 picks (and more) in the next several drafts - plus potentially other young players that teams may covet.

in the end I doubt Pitts helps the team mostly because of what you give up and the slow transition.  He appears elite, but by the time he is helping your offense - you are getting hurt by the lack of talent created in the lost picks and players.

Hard No.

Edited by Rochesterfan
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't understand what being "a little to vocal" means with regard to draft position.

Explain?

hype designed to misinform. Over sell Pitts so others take him so your real target is still on the board when it’s your turn to pick.

no one is leaking real draft info now. It’s all 3rd party speculation or misinformation.

We need a go fund me to get Knox a case of stikkum ;)

I think he could be a Travis K type TE if he had a better catching to targets ratio.

BTW it would take all of this years picks and quite a few of next years to get into the top ten.

10 hours ago, Rebel101 said:

N what could it take to draft him and should we be willing to go for it? 

Most TE take 3 years to develop with few exceptions.  There are plenty of relevant recent examples.  What we would have to pay would extreme for the potential return.  Not gonna happen.  We would be better off revisiting Ertz with the Eagles

This kind of like could Ali beat Marciano in his prime?  It’s a non starter.  We don’t have the capital to get there so why discuss it?  Hey if we have Ray Lewis, the original LT, and Jim Brown in his prime would we win.

thats bar stool talk that will never happen.

My short answer is yes we already had the #2-3 offense in the league depending on the metric, and sure Litts could take us over the top, but it’s not happening.  Sucks as I’d love a most likely elit TE, but I’d love to be 20 years younger, win the powerball and drinking margheritas in the Fiji Islands. Not happening.

10 hours ago, Virgil said:

I'm starting to think he's either going to go #4 overall or he's going to be the hyped guy that drops in the draft.  The Falcons, Cowboys, and Bengals have all been a little too vocal about their interest in him

I think a team trades up into 5 for Pitts.

10 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

weren't we Elite in 2020????

We have the makings, but not yet elite. A more formidable running game and more consistent deep passing game would do it, IMO.

11 hours ago, Warcodered said:

I'm betting we take a TE at some point but not him.

I wonder about this. Seems too developmental at this point. We have that in Knox with the hopes that it truly bears fruit this year. I would expect any TE addition to be a vet. 

Now if Knox doesn’t deliver This year.....

• Agree 1