NFLPA pushing for "virtual" off-season

Beast

19 hours ago, Beast said:

I'm trying to figure out where this 300 out of 2,500 comes from.

I "get it" that 90-man roster less 7 draft picks and (let's say) 5 UDFA signings = 78 players

78 players x 32 teams = 2496, so easily rounds to 2500 players.

But, for example, for the Bills - of the top 51 paid players on their roster, 27 players have workout bonuses (which I understand to usually be payment for OTAs)

Assuming a similar number on other teams, that would be 800 players, not 300 players.

I suppose there could be language in 500 of those contracts linking the workout bonus to other milestones if OTAs are skipped - but I don't know why clubs would agree to that, if the point of those bonuses is to encourage veteran participation in OTAs and thus the precedent Phase 1 and Phase 2 activities.

5 hours ago, frostbitmic said:

NFL teams don't have the option of starting out their seasons with Northwest South Dakota St. like colleges can do, unless they're fortunate enough to be starting out with the Jests or Jaguars.

But you're right, the players should report just a few days before the first game so hopefully the players emerge from a walk through with few injuries and to travel if they have an away game.

Oregon is starting with Ohio State. But you are correct that is the exception not the rule. And college has a larger roster than NFL.

I'm guilty of hyperbole but the quality of play with the least amount of preseason practice and games in the history of the NFL was no different than in any other year. Ask a season ticker holder if they want to pay for four meaningless games at full price. 

There must be a middle ground. Im not advocating for guys showing up for camp 20 pounds overweight to actually get in shape. That is the very rare exception now. 

• Like (+1) 1

Some players likely need in-person Spring OTA's. Meet their teammates, get extra coaching close up, PT and injury rehab, develop good habits, stay out of trouble,  get a sense of belonging, take in Bills culture,, etc. This doesn't happen staring at an iPad. 

On 4/10/2021 at 6:12 PM, Ethan in Portland said:

Oregon is starting with Ohio State. But you are correct that is the exception not the rule. And college has a larger roster than NFL.

I'm guilty of hyperbole but the quality of play with the least amount of preseason practice and games in the history of the NFL was no different than in any other year. Ask a season ticker holder if they want to pay for four meaningless games at full price. 

There must be a middle ground. Im not advocating for guys showing up for camp 20 pounds overweight to actually get in shape. That is the very rare exception now. 

The 2020 season was every bit as good as any other season, and no team lost a star player in a meaningless August game. 

These players are totally different from the old timers who worked another job all offseason and needed to get back into football shape. Preseason didn't happen and the only difference was that the NFL didn't call holding on the OL all season.

With a 17 game season AND the expanded playoffs teams can afford a few "tune up" games to get everything right. Just look at Tampa Bay. They started off shaky then went undefeated the rest of the season. 

Edited by TheFunPolice

After the Titans held secret practices against league safety orders to prepare for us, and players like Baker Mayfield partying at bars on Instagram to celebrate wins, I'm not buying for a second that the NFLPA is sincere in citing the pandemic as the reason for wanting a lighter workload.

Oh then there was the Raiders unmasked at the charity function, Von Miller's bewilderment at how his unchecked maid staff could have possibly brought the virus into his home, etc etc etc.  Yeah, the players are taking this SUPER seriously.