All hopes pinned on Star?

1 hour ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I would take Tedarrell Slaton in the 1st Rd.

Was a little surprised he only weighed 330 on his pro day: he doesn't look much bigger, but I read a few times that he was over 350.  His 40 time was much quicker than I expected at 5.09.  I've watched a little tape on him (only spots of 3 games), and though he's a big space-eater and VERY hard to move, he doesn't seem to be the athlete that Shelvin or Bobby Brown are.  A 1st is rich, as is a 2nd.  I could buy a 3rd.

Convince me otherwise.  With video if possible.

Edited by TailgateChef

18 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Butler did play 1T out of necessity.........and he was no worse than Star had been the prior 2 years........but he had 6 sacks in 2019 as a 3T in Carolina.    He was signed to replace the similarly overgrown penetrator Jordan Phillips.

I get your point but they literally have 4 guys under contract who have proven they can make plays from the DT3T.   It's the other 3 spots where they are lacking playmakers.

For sure - I omitted this in the first reply, but Barmore would play 1T in my mind if drafted as one of those three positions of need. He has unnatural speed for his size that could easily fit either 1 or 3T imo, but be fine in securing the 1T. Epenesa could go either way this year at DE and it'll be fun to watch - I think he dropped a bit too much weight and by default changed the entire basis of his play style. 

8 minutes ago, klos63 said:

What?

Why not?

The receiving corps was obviously diminished in the playoffs.   They took a beating last season.    That's the nature of this style of offense........tons of underneath throws.......tons of hard hits taken from downhill pursuing defenders.   Keeping their receiving corps healthy was always a problem for the Patriots playing this style of game.......guys like Welker, Edelman, Amendola and Gronk took a ton of big hits and missed a lot of time to injury.    

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, ctk232 said:

For sure - I omitted this in the first reply, but Barmore would play 1T in my mind if drafted as one of those three positions of need. He has unnatural speed for his size that could easily fit either 1 or 3T imo, but be fine in securing the 1T. Epenesa could go either way this year at DE and it'll be fun to watch - I think he dropped a bit too much weight and by default changed the entire basis of his play style. 

Yeah,  maybe he can physically play 1T.........but that position really requires a lot of personal sacrifice/selflessness and that makes it an easier said than done proposition.   Barmore likes making plays and flexing......he doesn't strike me as a guy who would be content absorbing double teams.   Jordan Phillips was 340 and he was absolutely terrible at 1T.    If they don't have the want-to they won't be playable.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, TailgateChef said:

Was a little surprised he only weighed 330 on his pro day: he doesn't look much bigger, but I read a few times that he was over 350.  His 40 time was much quicker than I expected at 5.09.  I've watched a little tape on him (only spots of 3 games), and though he's a big space-eater and VERY hard to move, he doesn't seem to be the athlete that Shelvin or Bobby Brown are.  A 1st is rich, as is a 2nd.  I could buy a 3rd.

Convince me otherwise.  With video if possible.

Yes my friend, I agree. I’ve been a big fan of Slaton for a long time now. If we could get him in the 3rd I would be very happy.

1 hour ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I would take Tedarrell Slaton in the 1st Rd.

I love him, I like him too.

6 hours ago, H2o said:

You draft one regardless. A list to browse through on YouTube in no particular order. 

1. Tyler Shelvin - LSU

2. Marvin Wilson - FSU

3. Bobbie Brown III - Texas A&M

4. Tedarrell Slaton - Florida

5. Neil Farrell Jr. - LSU

6. Naquan Jones - Michigan St. 

7. Alim McNeill - NC State

8. Khyiris Tonga - BYU

Alim McNeill would be my first choice I also like Tyler Shelvin but his weight concerns me , the rest are all probably day 3 picks 

3 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

Blasphemy. These guys have only made the playoffs 3 out 4 years and never even made it to the Superbowl. What crazy mental gymnastics are you performing to convince yourself they should even have jobs in the NFL?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

😉

@JGMcD2, have you met @jeremy2020@jeremy2020, may I present @JGMcD2

I believe you gents have a lot in common.

• Haha (+1) 2

10 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

You beat me to it. Was just starting a thread titles "Where's the Beef? (Addressing the 1-Tech)"

Even if Star shows up in the best shape of his life, we need to draft another true big-body 1-tech to get ready to take over next year.

I don't know who that is in the 2021 draft.

Is that Christian Barmore at #30?

Marvin Wilson at #61?

Someone even later?

It is a very reasonable draft need, another 1-tech.

No reason to think he would take over next year, though. They would save very little getting rid of Star even next year, so barring regression Star could easily be around to the end of his contract. Again, barring regression.

10 hours ago, H2o said:

I prefer Brown III or Wilson due to the fact they offer more in the pass rush, as well as being able to clog up running lanes. Shelvin is more like Star, eat up two blockers and hope your LB's are making tackles. 

.. which is the McDermott system ...

I think you're right that those others can do more, but especially on run downs I'm not sure McDermott wants more.

This position is too important to just hope on Star (Wish upon a Star?) or assume Harry recovers fully. Doesn't matter if every offense is a pass first offense. If your run D is soft, your 3 tackle is undersized, and your MLB can't shed, the opponent WILL play the matchup and run on you.  I think Olver will be wasted until they restore their 1 tech DT.

10 hours ago, CommonCents said:

Shelvin please. 

Any chance the trainers get a few pounds off him and he stays on the field for passing downs?

6 hours ago, klos63 said:

What?

Why not?

I think because A) they were all hurt last year in the playoffs (except for Diggs who became doubled every play)

B) Beasley and Sanders are slender and old. C) you build a SB winnng roster with great depth and balance.

D) I'd feel a lot better about their chances after we add Ertz and Kadarius Toney or a reasonable facsimile.

13 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I havent done any deeper film study (and probably wouldnt know what to look for even if I tried), but Harry looked like he had his best 1-tech game ever in the playoff game against Baltimore. Fingers crossed that the light finally came on for him there.

Even so, we still need to draft another to prepare for Star leaving next year.

I don't know exactly where i read this but towards the end of the season the last 7 gms or so Harrison was the #2 DT in the NFL against the run according to PFF . I'm pretty sure it was trending on twitter. 

8 hours ago, billybrew1 said:

I think the Bills are five good players short of competing for a Super Bowl. A WR, TE, DE, DT, and CB. A WR because the season is too long and arduous to count on what we have. A TE because Allen and Dawson are on the wrong page and really only have two now. We could use a better blocker than what we have as well, that is, we need a starter at TE, imho.

A DT, as this post points out. A DE as we all know this is a huge need. And a good corner to allow us to play more man.

I think it's reasonable to assume we can get three of these with the draft picks we have so we need to get two more from some other way: trade or the waiver wire as teams fight to get under the cap.

Just no way Diggs, Sanders, Beasley lasts the year and our other receivers scare nobody with a good secondary; that is, a playoff team. I'd love to draft Kadarius Toney and immediately throw him into the rotation at #4 and to use Gabriel Davis and McKenzie as much as we can scheme them in there. To really cut down Diggs, Bradley's and Sanders touches as much as we can.

Can Hodgins be the man?  I guess it is possible but I think we really need another WR for the 20-21 game season anyway.

If Hodgins is good, he'll find his way onto the field.

We're already competing for a Super Bowl, as the roster is right now.

If you count on injuries wearing down a team, that certainly happens, but not only to the Bills. It happens on every team, to varying degrees.

There certainly is a way the receivers last. Might not happen. But it might. Same with KC's receivers, and every other team.

But yeah, they certainly need to keep working, and the draft will be a very big part of that.

Edited by Thurman#1

Unfortunately, I don’t see a lot to really like at 1T or DE this year.  Team needs don’t correlate with strong draft groups this year.  IMO, better to take best players available at positions of lesser need than to force fit so-so prospects into need areas.

On 4/9/2021 at 6:58 PM, ctk232 said:

I know it’s an unpopular opinion given the Dareus PTSD this board has when it comes to first round DLs from Bama, but I would LOVE Barmore at 30. Should Oliver continue taking next steps, and Barmore transition to the next level, this could be a terrifying interior to face, and strong young talent to build from moving forward. Barmore looks to have what we had in JPhillips but with the added consistent dominance/penetration and run stuffing performance - match that with Oliver’s snap speed and power from the 3T and I can see a few OLs yelling at each other on the sidelines in fits.

I know there are Harris rumors here at 30, and a DB/OL wouldn’t be surprising at all either (or undesired even), but Barmore would be a meaningful investment to bring in high potential youth to the 1T position. Should all go well, Johnson or another DE/Barmore/Oliver/Epenesa could be something that anchors this defense week in and week out. 

The comparison between Barmore and Dareus goes beyond both being from Alabama.  Barmore was inconsistent on an extremely talented Bama D.  He turned it on big-time for the playoffs- that is both good and worrisome.  When Dareus wanted to play, he was great.

Barmore is pretty young, so maybe he improves his consistency, but as well as he played last two games of 2020, he’d be a top 10 pick if there weren’t significant concerns about consistency/effort.

On 4/9/2021 at 7:23 PM, billybrew1 said:

I think the Bills are five good players short of competing for a Super Bowl. A WR, TE, DE, DT, and CB. A WR because the season is too long and arduous to count on what we have. A TE because Allen and Dawson are on the wrong page and really only have two now. We could use a better blocker than what we have as well, that is, we need a starter at TE, imho.

A DT, as this post points out. A DE as we all know this is a huge need. And a good corner to allow us to play more man.

I think it's reasonable to assume we can get three of these with the draft picks we have so we need to get two more from some other way: trade or the waiver wire as teams fight to get under the cap.

Just no way Diggs, Sanders, Beasley lasts the year and our other receivers scare nobody with a good secondary; that is, a playoff team. I'd love to draft Kadarius Toney and immediately throw him into the rotation at #4 and to use Gabriel Davis and McKenzie as much as we can scheme them in there. To really cut down Diggs, Bradley's and Sanders touches as much as we can.

Can Hodgins be the man?  I guess it is possible but I think we really need another WR for the 20-21 game season anyway.

If Hodgins is good, he'll find his way onto the field.

I think it is a bit wishful thinking that picking late in each round in a weak draft fo DT, DE and TE that you will find 3 good players at those positions in this draft.

Edited by OldTimer1960

On 4/9/2021 at 2:46 PM, Rc2catch said:

I think we have fans who use stars absence as a bigger excuse than it was. The defense had to adapt and as the season went on they did. They had to get creative with the blitzes and personnel and I think it ended up being a good thing. Star is not going to make or break this defense. His contribution is going to be more for the run game as he’ll come off the field most passing downs. Our issue imo is mostly in the pass defense 

I have not read all four pages so apologies if this has been covered. 

I agree with you. They need either a true 1T or a real DE. Either will change the D completely. The line...and the pressure they create...makes everyone else’s job all the easier. There’s more than one way to skin a cat (which is really disturbing to think of). 

With the obvious being said, I really appreciated how Frazier made adjustments as the year rolled. It’s a testament to him and the D players. 

• Like (+1) 3