All hopes pinned on Star?

On 4/9/2021 at 2:08 PM, msw2112 said:

This thread is making me think back to the heyday of Ted Washington and "Fat" Pat Williams.  They were good ones.  Hopefully, we can find a similar type of player in the draft.

That, and/or a good year from Star, should really allow Edmunds and Oliver to do what they do best. 

Some folks forget how dominant our d-line was with those two in the middle. Pat had a good post-Bills career in MN too.

Impossible to run between the tackles, and our ends were able to clean up when knock-em-back Pat flushed QB's out of the pocket.

Could generate plenty of pressure with just that front 4 too.

Remember a Favre-led GB at The Ralph pinned in their EZ trying to safely call a run to get some breathing room and either Pat or Ted or both pounced on their RB and drove him into the turf like a nail for a safety.

Favre in a half time interview said something like any team that thinks they can run against that are just fooling themselves.

Was a great defense ol' Wade pulled together and it started with plugging Ted in the middle and having a penetrating 3-tech in Williams.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/9/2021 at 5:49 PM, Shaw66 said:

It's a good question, and the answer must be a combination of what many have said:   1.  They're counting on Star.   He'll be motivated, for sure, because he knows that his absence created perhaps the Bills' most glaring weakness.   2.  Philips should improve (or, as someone suggested, he could be history).   3.  Beane drafts strictly BPA in the early rounds, BPA at positions of need in the later rounds.   If a stout DT isn't the BPA in round or two, then I expect Beane will draft one in the later rounds.  

4.  There still may be a free agent addition, or even a trade.     In any case, there's going to be more talent in camp than what's currently on the roster.  

I would agree with all, but only 95% on #3, as Beane himself has stated during draft interviews in the past that he has drafted need early on, frankly I was surprised at the time that he openly admitted doing so. I think this was primarily because he had a lot of needs that needed filling during those earlier drafts.  Now that our roster is far more established, Beane does have a lot more leeway / freedom to go true game changing player in the early rounds. Beane is a clear minded thinker, and luckily he’s working for us.

I’ll be waiting anxiously for the gut punch he delivers to the rest of the league in the early and later rounds, 😁👍

Go Bills!!!

1 hour ago, Don Otreply said:

I would agree with all, but only 95% on #3, as Beane himself has stated during draft interviews in the past that he has drafted need early on, frankly I was surprised at the time that he openly admitted doing so. I think this was primarily because he had a lot of needs that needed filling during those earlier drafts.  Now that our roster is far more established, Beane does have a lot more leeway / freedom to go true game changing player in the early rounds. Beane is a clear minded thinker, and luckily he’s working for us.

I’ll be waiting anxiously for the gut punch he delivers to the rest of the league in the early and later rounds, 😁👍

Go Bills!!!

When did he say he drafted for need?    I don't recall that. 

He traded up for need to get Allen, but in the space he traded into he took the BPA.   I know that's a silly little distinction, but it actually makes some sense.   He was going to take BPA if he stayed at 12, but he moved up to take a BPA he needed.  Then he did it again - traded up to take the BPA, Edmunds.  

Where did he say he went need over BPA?

3 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

He traded up for need to get Allen, but in the space he traded into he took the BPA.   I know that's a silly little distinction, but it actually makes some sense.   He was going to take BPA if he stayed at 12, but he moved up to take a BPA he needed.  Then he did it again - traded up to take the BPA, Edmunds.  

I think he is referring to an article about Beane's drafting strategy that was on the Bills site.

"When we want to acquire someone, seeing if there's a guy that I think fits a need and the value, that's probably where some people maybe think I get too aggressive in the draft," said Beane.

"But if there's a guy that I think is a real sure fit – If I overpaid a little bit, so be it. It's better than waiting, sitting on my hands and I'm not really fired up about a guy when my pick comes up. That's just my viewpoint, that may not be 31 other GMs but that's how I see it."

Edited by WideNine
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

It was the year Ford was drafted, I watched the interview on the Bills app, it was one of the alerts they send out to show what’s going on with the team, normal stuff the marketing people do. As I said, I believe that Beane was addressing a plethora of needs that draft, and really did need to fill them, I think he did a fine job frankly, again now that the roster is so much farther along than at that point, Beane has a lot more leeway to go for a player he sees as BPA, in the early rounds.  Frankly I think that this is going to be a very good draft for us, it will be fun to watch it go down. 

On 4/9/2021 at 1:59 PM, Desert Bills Fan said:

I have been reading much about the return of Star - the one true 1 technique DT, we have. If he does not return in good shape , or doesn’t perform at a high level - are we back to last years defense?

i am concerned we don’t have a back up or injury replacement for Star. 

Seems like our last hope is the draft. I am worried about so much being based on a rookie.

what do you guys/gals think about the others on the roster who could play this spot? Any injured/dinged up players returning that would be challenging Star - or are the backup? 

How about those who follow college and the draft? Got some favorites in the first 3 rounds?

I actually expect the defense to return to dominating form, but I think the offense will take a small step back (I'm in the minority here.) Star returning will be huge along w/ a younger rookie prospect. 

23 hours ago, TroutDog said:

I have not read all four pages so apologies if this has been covered. 

I agree with you. They need either a true 1T or a real DE. Either will change the D completely. The line...and the pressure they create...makes everyone else’s job all the easier. There’s more than one way to skin a cat (which is really disturbing to think of). 

With the obvious being said, I really appreciated how Frazier made adjustments as the year rolled. It’s a testament to him and the D players. 

we need a real 1T and a DE.  Hopefully AJ is great this year, and we can get Shelvin, and the Pitt DE in the draft.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

It was the year Ford was drafted, I watched the interview on the Bills app, it was one of the alerts they send out to show what’s going on with the team, normal stuff the marketing people do. As I said, I believe that Beane was addressing a plethora of needs that draft, and really did need to fill them, I think he did a fine job frankly, again now that the roster is so much farther along than at that point, Beane has a lot more leeway to go for a player he sees as BPA, in the early rounds.  Frankly I think that this is going to be a very good draft for us, it will be fun to watch it go down. 

Thanks to you and Widenine.  Helpful responses. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Again, its picky, but what I think he meant is that he will trade up for need.  He's always going to take the BPA, but if he has a need he will trade up to get a BPA who fits a need.  He traded up for Ford. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I’m not counting on Star, I never thought he was more than a average NT. Being out for a year I’m not expecting much from him. Last year felt like a bad year for the DL and this one feels close to the same.

Agreed, counting on Star would be a huge mistake imo. If he is ready to go and can contribute, that's good . Hoping he plays at a 'high level' is just foolish. He hasn't played like that since his rookie year. If not for his ridiculous contract they could have easily moved on and improved the position by now. The Bills need a solid 1 tech DT badly, maybe a shorter term veteran for this year and a draft pick to develop. It's not a sexy high profile position but it's crucial to the Bills defensive system and I definitely wouldn't be counting on Star if I were them.

p.s. Harry's not large enough and is better suited as a 3 

• Agree 1

I consider pass rush, CB and the OL to be at least as important as 1-Tech as far as 'needs' are concerned, though I bet we'll be soon hearing about some of the players who took the year off are reporting out of shape. Will Star be one of them? He was great as a rookie, but his performance has been dropping every year since.

I still say we need to use our top 2 picks on CB and Pass Rush though. It really shouldn't be hard to find a guy better than Lotulelei in round 3 or 4. Star is just a backup caliber player at this point. I can't imagine anyone offering him even $4 mill/yr at this point.

3 hours ago, WideNine said:

Curious.

When you see "unread replies" in red under EVERY post you make is that some TBD stalker you have blocked?

I believe it marks what had been posted at your last visit to the thread... 

35 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Again, its picky, but what I think he meant is that he will trade up for need.  He's always going to take the BPA, but if he has a need he will trade up to get a BPA who fits a need.  He traded up for Ford. 

I’m thinking we use different verbiage to say similar things...

1 hour ago, Don Otreply said:

I believe it marks what had been posted at your last visit to the thread... 

Thanks.

Thought I had a stalker like that  crazy homeless dude that chased my family for a few blocks yesterday armed with a can of beans.

The wife's idea of a safe neighborhood to visit with our little girl. Another fun day with the fam....

I am still exhausted today.

Had just bought a dozen doughnuts for my elderly neighbors and the place uses hot pink boxes and they are easy to spot.

He kept following us and yelling f***ing bi*** give me a doughnut!

I told the wife to keep going and turned to confront him. He paced around screaming, then finally decided to chuck his can of beans at me. 

Good violent throw, but no accuracy:) Where's the po-po when I need them?

Kept thinking I was going to have to actually grab this crazy, nasty dude and beat him and likely need some kind of antibiotics and shots later.

He finally backed off. 

Chilling today in my boring suburbs on my nice, safe, quasi-normal Bills site eating most of the doughnuts - the neighbors can fight for their own box.

• Haha (+1) 1

Phillips was 2nd in the league in run stop percentage after the bye week.

He also played 20% of the snaps against the colts vs 50% against the ravens and chiefs. Our run defense looked night and day different in those 2 games. Even if Star comes back 100% I wouldn't be surprised if harry gets the majority of the 1T snaps.

25 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

Phillips was 2nd in the league in run stop percentage after the bye week.

He also played 20% of the snaps against the colts vs 50% against the ravens and chiefs. Our run defense looked night and day different in those 2 games. Even if Star comes back 100% I wouldn't be surprised if harry gets the majority of the 1T snaps.

I do think Phillips got off his blocks and played the run better down the stretch. I don't see him as that guy that demands the double team that frees up our guys at the 3-tech position.

That, and Star is in his last year and the Bills will also have to decide whether they want to pick up Harry's 5th year option next year too.

I don't see Beane letting himself get painted into that same corner he did last season when they were counting on Star's return and he opted out. 

I think he will add some depth and competition at the position this year.

We will see - just my take.

13 hours ago, WideNine said:

Thanks.

Thought I had a stalker like that  crazy homeless dude that chased my family for a few blocks yesterday armed with a can of beans.

The wife's idea of a safe neighborhood to visit with our little girl. Another fun day with the fam....

I am still exhausted today.

Had just bought a dozen doughnuts for my elderly neighbors and the place uses hot pink boxes and they are easy to spot.

He kept following us and yelling f***ing bi*** give me a doughnut!

I told the wife to keep going and turned to confront him. He paced around screaming, then finally decided to chuck his can of beans at me. 

Good violent throw, but no accuracy:) Where's the po-po when I need them?

Kept thinking I was going to have to actually grab this crazy, nasty dude and beat him and likely need some kind of antibiotics and shots later.

He finally backed off. 

Chilling today in my boring suburbs on my nice, safe, quasi-normal Bills site eating most of the doughnuts - the neighbors can fight for their own box.

You were intending to be charitable with the donuts anyway; maybe would have been best just to give the guy a donut.  

• Haha (+1) 1