All hopes pinned on Star?

It's a good question, and the answer must be a combination of what many have said:   1.  They're counting on Star.   He'll be motivated, for sure, because he knows that his absence created perhaps the Bills' most glaring weakness.   2.  Philips should improve (or, as someone suggested, he could be history).   3.  Beane drafts strictly BPA in the early rounds, BPA at positions of need in the later rounds.   If a stout DT isn't the BPA in round or two, then I expect Beane will draft one in the later rounds.  

4.  There still may be a free agent addition, or even a trade.     In any case, there's going to be more talent in camp than what's currently on the roster.  

Of course not all hopes, that would be silly, think of it like this, Star, after a year off being healed up of all his dings etc, could be in a position to shine as it were, it to me is a given that Star will be in good physical condition upon return, he doesn’t strike me as the Dareus type, so I’m not concerned about that stuff, it’s the getting back into the swing of things/ playing shape and the like, by game #1 he will be good to go. 

26 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Works for me.  Let’s see those centers getting past this guy. Wha ha ha ha!

doesn’t the little animal on the left look just like Ridge?  🤪🏈

Just kidding Ridge.  I was going to say Weo, but then he would’ve done a Boba Fet on me.

I thought you were going back to that WW2 movie, Tora, Tora, Tora.  Love John Wayne.

You were right about a movie reference. Wrong John though:

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Is that Christian Barmore at #30?

Marvin Wilson at #61?

Someone even later?

I know it’s an unpopular opinion given the Dareus PTSD this board has when it comes to first round DLs from Bama, but I would LOVE Barmore at 30. Should Oliver continue taking next steps, and Barmore transition to the next level, this could be a terrifying interior to face, and strong young talent to build from moving forward. Barmore looks to have what we had in JPhillips but with the added consistent dominance/penetration and run stuffing performance - match that with Oliver’s snap speed and power from the 3T and I can see a few OLs yelling at each other on the sidelines in fits.

I know there are Harris rumors here at 30, and a DB/OL wouldn’t be surprising at all either (or undesired even), but Barmore would be a meaningful investment to bring in high potential youth to the 1T position. Should all go well, Johnson or another DE/Barmore/Oliver/Epenesa could be something that anchors this defense week in and week out. 

Edited by ctk232
  • Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, H2o said:

You draft one regardless. A list to browse through on YouTube in no particular order. 

1. Tyler Shelvin - LSU

2. Marvin Wilson - FSU

3. Bobbie Brown III - Texas A&M

4. Tedarrell Slaton - Florida

5. Neil Farrell Jr. - LSU

6. Naquan Jones - Michigan St. 

7. Alim McNeill - NC State

8. Khyiris Tonga - BYU

I would take Tedarrell Slaton in the 1st Rd.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

You beat me to it. Was just starting a thread titles "Where's the Beef? (Addressing the 1-Tech)"

Even if Star shows up in the best shape of his life, we need to draft another true big-body 1-tech to get ready to take over next year.

I don't know who that is in the 2021 draft.

Is that Christian Barmore at #30?

Marvin Wilson at #61?

Someone even later?

Is Barmore a one-tech?

Just wait for the draft, let's see what happens. This team does not have many open spots for a roster spot. I feel a move up in the first round or even back into the early second for guys that have a high chance to make it.

5 minutes ago, ctk232 said:

I know it’s an unpopular opinion given the Dareus PTSD this board has when it comes to first round DLs from Bama, but I would LOVE Barmore at 30. Should Oliver continue taking next steps, and Barmore transition to the next level, this could be a terrifying interior to face, and strong young talent to build from moving forward. Barmore looks to have what we had in JPhillips but with the added consistent dominance/penetration and run stuffing performance - match that with Oliver’s snap speed and power from the 3T and I can see a few OLs yelling at each other on the sidelines in fits.

I know there are Harris rumors here at 30, and a DB/OL wouldn’t be surprising at all either (or undesired even), but Barmore would be a meaningful investment to bring in high potential youth to the 1T position. Should all go well, Johnson or another DE/Barmore/Oliver/Epenesa could be something that anchors this defense week in and week out. 

Oliver, Zimmer and Butler are all 3T's......and Obada had most of his pass rush success from the 3T.     I like Barmore but 3T is probably their strongest DL position.

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, MJS said:

I don't see why anyone needs to worry. Our defense was not bad last year, especially as the season progressed. It was an average defense that played like a top 10 defense late in the year. I think people are a little spoiled at having a top 5 defense for so long.

I don't like his lack of mobility and explosiveness. His 40 time and 3 cone drill were really disappointing.

I don't see it as an issue, he really knows how to eat up blockers!

• Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, billybrew1 said:

Is Barmore a one-tech?

I hear he can play both positions but may be better suited as a 3-tech. But that was just an opinion...

I think the Bills are five good players short of competing for a Super Bowl. A WR, TE, DE, DT, and CB. A WR because the season is too long and arduous to count on what we have. A TE because Allen and Dawson are on the wrong page and really only have two now. We could use a better blocker than what we have as well, that is, we need a starter at TE, imho.

A DT, as this post points out. A DE as we all know this is a huge need. And a good corner to allow us to play more man.

I think it's reasonable to assume we can get three of these with the draft picks we have so we need to get two more from some other way: trade or the waiver wire as teams fight to get under the cap.

Just no way Diggs, Sanders, Beasley lasts the year and our other receivers scare nobody with a good secondary; that is, a playoff team. I'd love to draft Kadarius Toney and immediately throw him into the rotation at #4 and to use Gabriel Davis and McKenzie as much as we can scheme them in there. To really cut down Diggs, Bradley's and Sanders touches as much as we can.

Can Hodgins be the man?  I guess it is possible but I think we really need another WR for the 20-21 game season anyway.

If Hodgins is good, he'll find his way onto the field.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

Works for me.  Let’s see those centers getting past this guy. Wha ha ha ha!

doesn’t the little animal on the left look just like Ridge?  🤪🏈

Just kidding Ridge.  I was going to say Weo, but then he would’ve done a Boba Fet on me.

I thought you were going back to that WW2 movie, Tora, Tora, Tora.  Love John Wayne.

That's Salacious Crumb... wouldn't mind trying him out at Punter!:wub:

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Logic said:

I have a feeling that Beane and co know that this is a high priority.

Blasphemy. These guys have only made the playoffs 3 out 4 years and never even made it to the Superbowl. What crazy mental gymnastics are you performing to convince yourself they should even have jobs in the NFL?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

😉

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

I think we have fans who use stars absence as a bigger excuse than it was. The defense had to adapt and as the season went on they did. They had to get creative with the blitzes and personnel and I think it ended up being a good thing. Star is not going to make or break this defense. His contribution is going to be more for the run game as he’ll come off the field most passing downs. Our issue imo is mostly in the pass defense 

I think our defense was more patchwork last season, we did better when we faced a more one dimensional(dolphins, Ravens) or no dimensional(Patriots), but had great trouble with a balanced attack, (Colts, Chiefs).  I think in order to be a championship level defense, a lot of things need to happen. CB opposite White needs to improve from last season, Edmunds needs to take a big step up, Epenesa needs to make a big improvement, Addison needs to be better, Hughes needs to stay 'young' and Oliver needs to step up big. That's a lot of pieces, along with Star needing to play well. I'm nervous thinking that we need to rely on Star.

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Oliver, Zimmer and Butler are all 3T's......and Obada had most of his pass rush success from the 3T.     I like Barmore but 3T is probably their strongest DL position.

Barmore would play 1T - he has unnatural speed for his size that could easily fit either 1 or 3T imo. Butler played 1T snaps as well last year fwiw - for one reason or another - particularly in the heavy packages with both Oliver and Zimmer, and 1T/3T hybrid with Phillips at times. I see him continuing that this year depending on how Zimmer fairs in camp, but right now it's Oliver's job to lose at 3T. Our list at 1T is Star, Phillips, Butler, and maybe Bryant now? Seems like a camp depth FA signing but not sure where he played most last year and seems to fit the 1T metrics.

All I'm saying is Beane has noted he isn't content with the DL roster, and what happened last year was both an attempt to improve and plan for the worst during a COVID season. To date, when Beane has attempted to improve a position on the roster, he typically does so by adding or pairing existing veteran talent where he can with young draft picks in the same year (Addison & Epenesa, Gore & Singletary, Diggs/Smoke & Davis, Kyle & H Phillips, etc.). While we didn't bring in any veteran 1T guys, you could argue the current list has Star to some degree filling that veteran role, but what we haven't done is invest young draft talent into the position yet. Barmore would be great at 30 to accomplish this, but plenty of directions we could go here depending on how the day one board falls. 

Edited by ctk232

2 minutes ago, ctk232 said:

Butler played 1T snaps as well last year fwiw - for one reason or another - particularly in the heavy packages with both Oliver and Zimmer, and 1T/3T hybrid with Phillips at times. I see him continuing that this year depending on how Zimmer fairs in camp, but right now it's Oliver's job to lose at 3T. Our list at 1T is Star, Phillips, Butler, and maybe Bryant now? Seems like a camp depth FA signing but not sure where he played most last year and seems to fit the 1T metrics.

All I'm saying is Beane has noted he isn't content with the DL roster, and what happened last year was both an attempt to improve and plan for the worst during a COVID season. To date, when Beane has attempted to improve a position on the roster, he typically does so by adding or pairing existing veteran talent where he can with young draft picks in the same year (Addison & Epenesa, Gore & Singletary, Diggs/Smoke & Davis, Kyle & H Phillips, etc.). While we didn't bring in any veteran 1T guys, you could argue the current list has Star to some degree filling that veteran role, but what we haven't done is invest young draft talent into the position yet. Barmore would be great at 30 to accomplish this, but plenty of directions we could go here depending on how the day one board falls. 

Butler did play 1T out of necessity.........and he was no worse than Star had been the prior 2 years........but he had 6 sacks in 2019 as a 3T in Carolina.    He was signed to replace the similarly overgrown penetrator Jordan Phillips.

I get your point but they literally have 4 guys under contract who have proven they can make plays from the DT3T.   It's the other 3 spots where they are lacking playmakers.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, billybrew1 said:

I think the Bills are five good players short of competing for a Super Bowl. A WR, TE, DE, DT, and CB. A WR because the season is too long and arduous to count on what we have. A TE because Allen and Dawson are on the wrong page and really only have two now. We could use a better blocker than what we have as well, that is, we need a starter at TE, imho.

A DT, as this post points out. A DE as we all know this is a huge need. And a good corner to allow us to play more man.

I think it's reasonable to assume we can get three of these with the draft picks we have so we need to get two more from some other way: trade or the waiver wire as teams fight to get under the cap.

Just no way Diggs, Sanders, Beasley lasts the year and our other receivers scare nobody with a good secondary; that is, a playoff team. I'd love to draft Kadarius Toney and immediately throw him into the rotation at #4 and to use Gabriel Davis and McKenzie as much as we can scheme them in there. To really cut down Diggs, Bradley's and Sanders touches as much as we can.

Can Hodgins be the man?  I guess it is possible but I think we really need another WR for the 20-21 game season anyway.

If Hodgins is good, he'll find his way onto the field.

What?

Why not?