All hopes pinned on Star?

I like Star. He's a good fit. And i'm perfectly fine with pinning our hopes on him as long as everyone understands that Star is not elite, he's not top 10, he's just OUR 1-tech. And that's good enough for me. If he does his job, it frees Oliver and company to do what they do. I'm all for that. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Victory Formation said:

They may have some hope left in Harrison Phillips, before his knee injury he looked good, maybe he rebounds? Ultimately I think we add another 1 tech somewhere in the Draft RDs 1-3.

I agree that 2021 will be a fish or cut bait year for Horrible Harry.  OBD might be looking a little later in draft for a NT/1T college player to eventually replace Star

36 minutes ago, H2o said:

I prefer Brown III or Wilson due to the fact they offer more in the pass rush, as well as being able to clog up running lanes. Shelvin is more like Star, eat up two blockers and hope your LB's are making tackles

Isn't that how our defense is set up?

That being said, BB3 (if we draft him, let's make that a thing) would be an excellent pick up.  I'm not as big on Wilson, because he's....not as big.

1 hour ago, Desert Bills Fan said:

I have been reading much about the return of Star - the one true 1 technique DT, we have. If he does not return in good shape , or doesn’t perform at a high level - are we back to last years defense?

i am concerned we don’t have a back up or injury replacement for Star. 

Seems like our last hope is the draft. I am worried about so much being based on a rookie.

what do you guys/gals think about the others on the roster who could play this spot? Any injured/dinged up players returning that would be challenging Star - or are the backup? 

How about those who follow college and the draft? Got some favorites in the first 3 rounds?

Well, that's the thing about Star's position, you can't just teach big/fatty... you gotta be a big/fatty! 

Let's draft the biggest mountain of a man to help provide depth at this position.  IF that is what this D was missing last year, a new big/fatty could do wonders for this defense.

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

You beat me to it. Was just starting a thread titles "Where's the Beef? (Addressing the 1-Tech)"

Even if Star shows up in the best shape of his life, we need to draft another true big-body 1-tech to get ready to take over next year.

I don't know who that is in the 2021 draft.

Is that Christian Barmore at #30?

Marvin Wilson at #61?

Someone even later?

I would rather have Tyler Shelvin than Wilson, could probably be had in the 3rd. He's enormous.

• Like (+1) 1

I don't see why anyone needs to worry. Our defense was not bad last year, especially as the season progressed. It was an average defense that played like a top 10 defense late in the year. I think people are a little spoiled at having a top 5 defense for so long.

23 minutes ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

bf390532b6d4ed937d9dc128107f4b13.jpg

Jabba the Hutt, UDFA from Tatooine!

I don't like his lack of mobility and explosiveness. His 40 time and 3 cone drill were really disappointing.

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, H2o said:

You draft one regardless. A list to browse through on YouTube in no particular order. 

1. Tyler Shelvin - LSU

2. Marvin Wilson - FSU

3. Bobbie Brown III - Texas A&M

4. Tedarrell Slaton - Florida

5. Neil Farrell Jr. - LSU

6. Naquan Jones - Michigan St. 

7. Alim McNeill - NC State

8. Khyiris Tonga - BYU

1 for sure 6 is a sleeper moving up the charts

2 hours ago, H2o said:

You draft one regardless. A list to browse through on YouTube in no particular order. 

1. Tyler Shelvin - LSU

2. Marvin Wilson - FSU

3. Bobbie Brown III - Texas A&M

4. Tedarrell Slaton - Florida

5. Neil Farrell Jr. - LSU

6. Naquan Jones - Michigan St. 

7. Alim McNeill - NC State

8. Khyiris Tonga - BYU

Tonga, Tonga, Tonga!

1 hour ago, Rc2catch said:

I think we have fans who use stars absence as a bigger excuse than it was. The defense had to adapt and as the season went on they did. They had to get creative with the blitzes and personnel and I think it ended up being a good thing. Star is not going to make or break this defense. His contribution is going to be more for the run game as he’ll come off the field most passing downs. Our issue imo is mostly in the pass defense 

I think that teams that can be successful with their front 4 without blitzing are stout in the interior of their lines while rotating fresh bodies at End.

Tampa has an embarrassment of riches with Vea and Suh manning the middle of their lines which allowed them to be strong against the rush and avoid having to commit to blitzing players to manufacture pressure on passing downs. Against better offenses (KC and GB) as soon as their QB sees a blitz they know where you are exposed and can exploit it.

I think a solid-to-impact DT at the 1-tech will help this team take the next step they are trying to take against elite teams. That, and we will finally see if a "clean" Edmunds can play downhill/instinctive football from his MLB position.

I think we have serviceable players now, but they are not players that I think teams have to really game plan around or force changes in blocking schemes. Star is a big question mark coming back in with one year left. It is not an every-down position and potential upgrades I think could be had in the draft around our 2nd or 3rd pick... will be interesting to see how highly the Bills value addressing that position.

2 hours ago, Desert Bills Fan said:

I have been reading much about the return of Star - the one true 1 technique DT, we have. If he does not return in good shape , or doesn’t perform at a high level - are we back to last years defense?

i am concerned we don’t have a back up or injury replacement for Star. 

Right, cuz FA is over, we won’t draft anyone and all our PS guys suck.

or maybe you could peruse the Board and find out what’s going on..(?)

35 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I expect a big tub of goo to be drafted

I don’t think you’ll be disappointed. Hell, Star is that. -and with more than a year off and completely out of the picture, I’ll be surprised if he isn’t terribly out of shape, slovenly and in need of a bath.

but that’s just me.

This thread is making me think back to the heyday of Ted Washington and "Fat" Pat Williams.  They were good ones.  Hopefully, we can find a similar type of player in the draft.

That, and/or a good year from Star, should really allow Edmunds and Oliver to do what they do best. 

Edited by msw2112
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

bf390532b6d4ed937d9dc128107f4b13.jpg

Jabba the Hutt, UDFA from Tatooine!

Works for me.  Let’s see those centers getting past this guy. Wha ha ha ha!

doesn’t the little animal on the left look just like Ridge?  🤪🏈

Just kidding Ridge.  I was going to say Weo, but then he would’ve done a Boba Fet on me.

1 hour ago, Motorin' said:

Tonga, Tonga, Tonga!

I thought you were going back to that WW2 movie, Tora, Tora, Tora.  Love John Wayne.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MJS said:

I don't like his lack of mobility and explosiveness. His 40 time and 3 cone drill were really disappointing.

Perhaps.  But he supplements excellent hand usage with his prehensile tongue to create space and attack the line of scrimmage.  He also has the Rancor.

Edited by TailgateChef