All hopes pinned on Star?

I have been reading much about the return of Star - the one true 1 technique DT, we have. If he does not return in good shape , or doesn’t perform at a high level - are we back to last years defense?

i am concerned we don’t have a back up or injury replacement for Star. 

Seems like our last hope is the draft. I am worried about so much being based on a rookie.

what do you guys/gals think about the others on the roster who could play this spot? Any injured/dinged up players returning that would be challenging Star - or are the backup? 

How about those who follow college and the draft? Got some favorites in the first 3 rounds?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1

2 minutes ago, Desert Bills Fan said:

I have been reading much about the return of Star - the one true 1 technique DT, we have. If he does not return in good shape , or doesn’t perform at a high level - are we back to last years defense?

Seems like our last hope is the draft. I am worried about so much being based on a rookie.

what do you guys/gals think about the others on the roster who could play this spot? Any injured/dinged up players returning that would be challenging Star - or are the backup? 

How about those who follow college and the draft? Got some favorites in the first 3 rounds?

You beat me to it. Was just starting a thread titles "Where's the Beef? (Addressing the 1-Tech)"

Even if Star shows up in the best shape of his life, we need to draft another true big-body 1-tech to get ready to take over next year.

I don't know who that is in the 2021 draft.

Is that Christian Barmore at #30?

Marvin Wilson at #61?

Someone even later?

• Like (+1) 2

I have a feeling that Beane and co know that this is a high priority. I expect them to draft a true 1T in the early to middle rounds.

They don’t seem like the types to just HOPE for anything from a certain player.

An in-shape Star and a fully recovered and healthy Harrison Phillips will make a big difference, but I still expect them to look to the future at the position.

• Like (+1) 5

You draft one regardless. A list to browse through on YouTube in no particular order. 

1. Tyler Shelvin - LSU

2. Marvin Wilson - FSU

3. Bobbie Brown III - Texas A&M

4. Tedarrell Slaton - Florida

5. Neil Farrell Jr. - LSU

6. Naquan Jones - Michigan St. 

7. Alim McNeill - NC State

8. Khyiris Tonga - BYU

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Victory Formation said:

They may have some hope left in Harrison Phillips, before his knee injury he looked good, maybe he rebounds? Ultimately I think we add another 1 tech somewhere in the Draft RDs 1-3.

I havent done any deeper film study (and probably wouldnt know what to look for even if I tried), but Harry looked like he had his best 1-tech game ever in the playoff game against Baltimore. Fingers crossed that the light finally came on for him there.

Even so, we still need to draft another to prepare for Star leaving next year.

• Like (+1) 6

2 minutes ago, Desert Bills Fan said:

Well, Star and Harrison Phillips are supposed to be the rotation at 1TDT.  Last year, Phillips struggled initially, but after his benching (which McDermott came out and said after the season, was related to him needing more time to recover) and as he worked back into the lineup, I thought he played better.  The hope is that a full off season of strength and conditioning work will help him.

He posted a funny Instagram video of "his vs hers vacations" where he's seen standing at the top of an outdoor staircase doing some sort of high-rep, low-weight leg lift exercise then his girlfriend turns the camera towards herself, puts on a pair of shades, and leans back on the lounger.

Getting back to your question, IMHO we should 100% try to pick up a developmental DT in the draft, not necessarily in a high round.  Ed Oliver and Vernon Butler both were pressed into service to play 1TDT last season but it's neither of their best position.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

I havent done any deeper film study (and probably wouldnt know what to look for even if I tried), but Harry looked like he had his best 1-tech game ever in the playoff game against Baltimore. Fingers crossed that the light finally came on for him there.

It was definitely his best game post-injury. In all honesty, he was probably playing his best football on the interior DL before he got injured early in 2019. He was clogging running lanes and making some plays. I've always thought he was best suited for a 5-Tech tbh, but he was starting to come around when the ACL happened. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

He played well against the Colts, Miami, and NE as well IMO.  Which, coincidentally, are the games where he returned to 40-50% of the 1TDT snaps vs the 23-33% he got as he worked his way back into the lineup from being a healthy scratch.

The questions are: 1) will a full healthy off-season help him? and 2) can he stay healthy?

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, H2o said:

You draft one regardless. A list to browse through on YouTube in no particular order. 

1. Tyler Shelvin - LSU

2. Marvin Wilson - FSU

3. Bobbie Brown III - Texas A&M

4. Tedarrell Slaton - Florida

5. Neil Farrell Jr. - LSU

6. Naquan Jones - Michigan St. 

7. Alim McNeill - NC State

8. Khyiris Tonga - BYU

Shelvin please. 

• Like (+1) 2

I think with Star coming back even if he doesn't set the world on fire but just eats up blockers it will allow the D to shift back to the 2019 D.  Oliver will be in the position he was much better at and that can not be a bad thing......do the Bills need to address the position???  Hells yeah!  Star ain't getting any younger.

13 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Who you like?

"Like" might be too strong of a strong word, but in the event that Star is not cutting it AND we don't draft a rookie capable of holding his own, DaQuon Jones, Steve McClendon, Daniel McCullers, Abry Jones, Domata Peko, Snacks Harrison could all be worth a look. And, in this scenario, if we're supposing that Buffalo doesn't draft any of the 8ish 1Ts available in the draft, there's also the possibility of additional veteran cuts (because other teams WILL be drafting them).

I'm not Brandon Beane, but I see 1T as a very plug & play position. That's not to say that there aren't better or worse players out there, but it's almost impossible to have a superstar at that position, so if you're going to get, say an "80" out of one guy and a "75" out of another and there's a big difference in cost, I'd opt for the 75. Given the relative depth at the position in the draft and knowing there are at least serviceable bodies in FA, it's not a position I'm wanting us to splurge on...

Edited by glazeduck
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

Shelvin please. 

I prefer Brown III or Wilson due to the fact they offer more in the pass rush, as well as being able to clog up running lanes. Shelvin is more like Star, eat up two blockers and hope your LB's are making tackles. 

• Like (+1) 2

I think we have fans who use stars absence as a bigger excuse than it was. The defense had to adapt and as the season went on they did. They had to get creative with the blitzes and personnel and I think it ended up being a good thing. Star is not going to make or break this defense. His contribution is going to be more for the run game as he’ll come off the field most passing downs. Our issue imo is mostly in the pass defense 

• Like (+1) 1

Let's also keep in mind Harry was coming off an ACL tear in which it routinely takes 14+ months to get back to full strength and ability. That just so happened to align with his impact, while I'm also sure his removal from game days was helpful in getting him to focus. The Draft and Harry coming back healthy with a full Off-season to hone and refine his skills has me thinking this could be a good year for IDL.

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Desert Bills Fan said:

Well - we have more time in FA both before and after the draft, we have the draft, we have Star returning, we have Harrison Phillips returning ( struggled early, but got better as the season progressed), and if needed trades.

So no I don’t pin any hopes on Star - I pin my hopes on Beane continuing to work on the roster right up to and in to the season.  He will continue to address what he and McD feel the roster needs and we continue to get better with fewer and fewer holes.

Currently on the roster you have Star and his back-up in Phillips - plus a guy in Butler that has done 1 technique as needed.

I will be worried if we get to late November and we are constantly getting run on and have a losing record, but right now it is not even a hole - just a question mark.