Schein - Nine Make-or-Break players for 2021 (Ed Oliver)

wppete

I do agree that Oliver had a somewhat disappointing season, yes he was playing in a situation that wasn't ideal but he still underperformed.  He's good at stuffing the run but he was drafted to be a disruptor behind the line of scrimmage.  I would expect him to step it up this year.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Boxcar said:

Not entirely fair, Oliver was out of position quite a bit. We really need a true 1T for him to shine.

I agree with this. He didn't take a "step back" he was asked to "do more"

He didn't show up as much on the stat sheet but I thought he played pretty well. 

1 hour ago, Boxcar said:

Ok, but the reality is that he isn't what a 9th overall pick is "supposed" to be, so we either make the best of the situation or do nothing and complain about it.

We're making the best of it, and I'm not hating on him. He'll need a couple of solid seasons for us to pick up his 5th year though.  I think we'll draft Edge this year and likely a DT. So without complaining, I think Beane already has his radar on this and a plan of action.

Edited by babulator

if not having star beside him is the reason he mostly disappeared last season, then oliver isn't that great and star is pretty friggen good.

ill say it again because i like to read myself type, but if a player doesn't make players around him better, and instead just reflects whats' there, he's not great and he might not even be good.

this makes me not so hot on oliver and edmunds, given how they are our front 7 talent 1st round picks, and just haven't been consistent difference makers.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Boxcar said:

Not sure I agree with that. It's a team game. One of the reasons I think Mitch Morse gets pooped on so much is because he has to make up for the inadequacies at guard. Hopefully Feliciano plays better and Ford is solid to show some proof. Other Bills players are the same: Edmunds is way better with Milano on the field (and I still can't get over how it's not widespread thought that Milano is an amazing LB), and Poyer and Hyde are better together than they would be individually. Unless you're Aaron Donald, or TJ Watt or Joey/Nick Bosa, you definitely need a supporting cast to perform at your best and I don't think it's wrong just because Oliver went 9th overall. There are a tiny number of players who can carry a defense on their backs.

Dam straight its a team game.  And everyone needs to play at a relatively high level in the NFL for their team to play well.  Oliver has underperformed to a degree.  He hasn't sucked.  But he has shown little to make anyone think he should have been drafted w the 9th pick.  As for Morse and Edmunds, one is getting paid big bucks to play like a top 5 Center.  The other was drafted w the 16th pick and looks like he belongs on a basketball court.  Again, yes its a team game.  But you don't need to be an apologist and make excuses for guys who are not playing up to the level of their contracts or draft position.  Not sure where the narrative came from that our Guards were lousy last year.  Yes Winters was trash.  But I thought Boetger and Feliciano were very solid.  I think Morse was the weakest of the 3.  He wasn't terrible.  But for what we are paying him and how he played w the Chiefs, I believe we should expect more from him.  As for Edmunds, don't get me started.  My opinion of his play is well known on this board. 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

At some point he's gotta get more disruptive on passing downs. Aaron Donald don't need no stinkin 1tech lol, yeah I know there's only one AD.

Yep 1 AD. Is it too early or just wrong to claim Aaron Donald is the best D- lineman EVER?

I'd say no.

Edited by MrSarcasm

4 hours ago, mannc said:

No one’s asking Oliver to “carry a defense on his back”.  It would be nice if he made a game-changing play every now and then though.  Or maybe even got a sack.  Or even a pressure.  We were told he was the kind of interior defender who was going to collapse the pocket and get after the passer.  So far, he’s JAG.

This, he was selected high to be a disruptive player. He has not been. I know it is unfair to compare to a long time player in the league but Kyle Williams selected in the 5th round was far more disruptive and a force as compared to Oliver. Oliver is supposed to have far better innate talent. Let’s hope he steps up and shines this year. 

• Like (+1) 1

From my eyes, he’s a misfit product of Sean’s D scheme. All the great, disruptive DTs play every/damn near every snap, creating twice as many opportunities to change a game than Buffalo does with Ed. Every DL player on this team rotates, like it or not. We don’t know that he can’t be Bosa/Donald-like because he isn’t given half the opportunity they are. 

I hold out hope..

• Like (+1) 3

6 hours ago, warrior9 said:

I agree with this. He didn't take a "step back" he was asked to "do more"

He didn't show up as much on the stat sheet but I thought he played pretty well. 

Played pretty well that’s it ?? He was a top 10 pick him and Edmonds NEED show up this year and start producing , ENOUGH with excuses played out of position or Edmonds needs Milano next to him , we have a top 5 offense we need our defense to contribute and put us over the top 

11 hours ago, Boxcar said:

Not sure I agree with that. It's a team game. One of the reasons I think Mitch Morse gets pooped on so much is because he has to make up for the inadequacies at guard. Hopefully Feliciano plays better and Ford is solid to show some proof. Other Bills players are the same: Edmunds is way better with Milano on the field (and I still can't get over how it's not widespread thought that Milano is an amazing LB), and Poyer and Hyde are better together than they would be individually. Unless you're Aaron Donald, or TJ Watt or Joey/Nick Bosa, you definitely need a supporting cast to perform at your best and I don't think it's wrong just because Oliver went 9th overall. There are a tiny number of players who can carry a defense on their backs.

Right on and well put. 

I believe someone did a study that even at the top of the 1st round (1st 10 picks say) it was 50/50 if you get a guy who can be a long term solid starter - not a league-leading disruptive force, just a solid starter.  After that it drops to 30%-ish through the top picks of the 2nd round, then 20%, by the 5th round it's like 10%.

We need more from Oliver, no doubt, but he's not an Aaron Donald.  I guess we'll find out of TJ Watt can be as disruptive without Bud Dupree as his bookend. 

DL is a lot like OL. If you don’t have the right pieces around you, you’re going to struggle. How many times did Hughes and even Addison beat their man but the QB simply stepped up in the pocket because our IDL could not get any push? Seems to me that that sort of thing happened quite regularly. Now, I wasn’t crazy about Ed Oliver when he came out of college, but in all fairness, he was playing 1 tech when he was meant to be a penetrating DT. That may have been okay for him in college, but in all fairness, that was never supposed to be his role in the pros. Do I think he is the next Aaron Donald? Absolutely not. I do think he can be a very good DT however if you plug a big fat NT next to him. In many ways I think I was wrong. I think he has a relatively high ceiling. Give me Tedarrell Slaton or Marvin Wilson and Ed Oliver will have a great year.

• Like (+1) 2

It's pry a make or break season for all four of our picks in the top three rounds (Oliver, Ford, Singletary, Knox) in the 2019 draft.  No stars or busts in that class so far.  All have made plays that showed why the Bills drafted them but the consistency just hasn't been there.  If two or three have a breakout season then that might be all it takes to take that next step and play in LA next February.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, Boxcar said:

Not entirely fair, Oliver was out of position quite a bit. We really need a true 1T for him to shine.

people say that a lot but he needs to step it up on 3rd down and a 1T isn’t going to help him in that situation.

15 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

It's pry a make or break season for all four of our picks in the top three rounds (Oliver, Ford, Singletary, Knox) in the 2019 draft.  No stars or busts in that class so far.  All have made plays that showed why the Bills drafted them but the consistency just hasn't been there.  If two or three have a breakout season then that might be all it takes to take that next step and play in LA next February.

We will definitely know what we have next year. They all need to make a jump.

3 hours ago, Putin said:

Played pretty well that’s it ?? He was a top 10 pick him and Edmonds NEED show up this year and start producing , ENOUGH with excuses played out of position or Edmonds needs Milano next to him , we have a top 5 offense we need our defense to contribute and put us over the top 

To act like some are in this thread and think every top ten pick should be a roaring success is laughable. That's not how drafts work.

Draft position doesn't affect the reality of who the player is now. Oliver is the player you see. If he's better with support then you either support him in his 3-tech role or let him play out his rookie contract and move on.  Same thing with Shaq. 

7 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I disagree -with the exception of Oliver. His miss-use makes the 5th year option a real challenge. Certainly, his stats/performance to date doesn’t rate top 10 DT $$, but again, I believe he’s handicapped by constantly rotating out. 

Knox is improving every year including blocking. He stays -though the team may add another TE. Ford was injured last year. It’s a write off season. He showed enough as a rook to warrant strong opportunity this year. Singletary has fantastic moves, finding slivers of daylight and slipping through. He does need to improve in passpro though.

In short, I believe all 4 will be with the team in ‘22.

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

As said, EOs performance has been a result of our lack of an effective 1 tech  on the D line, we as fans can only hope that with the return of Star, and the possible acquisition of a drafted 1 tech we may be in a better situation this up coming season.  I am quite sure SM & BB have a clear understanding of this. 

He was also injured early in the year but played through it. And later in the year he was a lot better. I don't think that was coincidental.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Agree 2