Schein - Nine Make-or-Break players for 2021 (Ed Oliver)

wppete

https://www.nfl.com/news/daniel-jones-ezekiel-elliott-odell-beckham-jr-among-nfl-s-make-or-break-players-

6. Ed Oliver - Buffalo Bills · DT

I'm not giving up on Oliver, but he took a step back in 2020 after a solid rookie season. And the Bills need the No. 9 overall pick from the 2019 draft to take a gigantic step forward in 2021.

As proven by last year's 13-3 regular season and ensuing trip to the AFC title game, the Bills are legit. They are ready for prime time. But they need Oliver to become the monster he's capable of being, the kind of game wrecker up front who can disrupt someone like Patrick Mahomes in the playoffs.

Edited by wppete
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 4

He did have a turbulent offseason last year. That being said, he played out of position a fair bit because of Star's opt out. Together, they make his 2021 performance potentially tantalizing. So I agree with him being on the list. Another quality Dlineman from the draft should only improve Oliver's performance.

• Like (+1) 2

He definitely needs to step up and in large part hasn't met expectations. That being said we haven't exactly put him in a position to succeed certainly last year. 

This year is huge. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

As said, EOs performance has been a result of our lack of an effective 1 tech  on the D line, we as fans can only hope that with the return of Star, and the possible acquisition of a drafted 1 tech we may be in a better situation this up coming season.  I am quite sure SM & BB have a clear understanding of this. 

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Boxcar said:

Not entirely fair, Oliver was out of position quite a bit. We really need a true 1T for him to shine.

You may be right, but the 9th overall pick (in a very good draft) shouldn’t need help from another defensive player in order to “shine”.  

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, mannc said:

You may be right, but the 9th overall pick (in a very good draft) shouldn’t need help from another defensive player in order to “shine”.  

Not sure I agree with that. It's a team game. One of the reasons I think Mitch Morse gets pooped on so much is because he has to make up for the inadequacies at guard. Hopefully Feliciano plays better and Ford is solid to show some proof. Other Bills players are the same: Edmunds is way better with Milano on the field (and I still can't get over how it's not widespread thought that Milano is an amazing LB), and Poyer and Hyde are better together than they would be individually. Unless you're Aaron Donald, or TJ Watt or Joey/Nick Bosa, you definitely need a supporting cast to perform at your best and I don't think it's wrong just because Oliver went 9th overall. There are a tiny number of players who can carry a defense on their backs.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Boxcar said:

Not sure I agree with that. It's a team game. One of the reasons I think Mitch Morse gets pooped on so much is because he has to make up for the inadequacies at guard. Hopefully Feliciano plays better and Ford is solid to show some proof. Other Bills players are the same: Edmunds is way better with Milano on the field (and I still can't get over how it's not widespread thought that Milano is an amazing LB), and Poyer and Hyde are better together than they would be individually. Unless you're Aaron Donald, or TJ Watt or Joey/Nick Bosa, you definitely need a supporting cast to perform at your best and I don't think it's wrong just because Oliver went 9th overall. There are a tiny number of players who can carry a defense on their backs.

No one’s asking Oliver to “carry a defense on his back”.  It would be nice if he made a game-changing play every now and then though.  Or maybe even got a sack.  Or even a pressure.  We were told he was the kind of interior defender who was going to collapse the pocket and get after the passer.  So far, he’s JAG.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Boxcar said:

I love you:wub: 

You also forgot JJ Watt🧐

6 minutes ago, mannc said:

No one’s asking Oliver to “carry a defense on his back”.  It would be nice if he made a game-changing play every now and then though.  Or maybe even got a sack.  Or even a pressure.  We were told he was the kind of interior defender who was going to collapse the pocket and get after the passer.  So far, he’s JAG.

You can't guarantee anything for any draftee. Trevor Lawrence could be an average QB. Kyle Pitts could be a mediocre TE. Given where he was drafted, should Oliver be able to do more on his own? Sure. It is what it is, though, make the best of it.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Boxcar said:

You can't guarantee anything for any draftee. Trevor Lawrence could be an average QB. Kyle Pitts could be a mediocre TE. Given where he was drafted, should Oliver be able to do more on his own? Sure. It is what it is, though, make the best of it.

You're right.  I'm just bitter about the Oliver pick because I thought he was terribly over-rated coming out of Houston.  I watched a few of their games his last year and he was pretty much invisible.  I never understood the hype.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1