Watson, Adams, Rudolph, Gladney

2 hours ago, Bubba Gump said:

What is happening? TSW is starting to look like a police blotter. Four separate disturbing topics on just the first page. Is it CTE, stupidity, addiction, depression, maybe a combination of issues. It's getting a little scary how this is happening as much as it with these professional athletes.

gladney being an extreme example but with 90 man off-season rosters you are talking 3,000 or so guys that could be considered an Nfl player any given year, and fast turnover in that number (ie including retired guys makes the pool skyrocket)

if you sampled 5,000 random 20-40 year old men I’d venture youd get some better groups, but also some worse. I’d be curious where the Nfl stacks up in relation to a similar population before speculating on why it’s worse. 

7 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

good info- thank you for sharing and shame on me for responding before reading

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Bubba Gump said:

What is happening? TSW is starting to look like a police blotter. Four separate disturbing topics on just the first page. Is it CTE, stupidity, addiction, depression, maybe a combination of issues. It's getting a little scary how this is happening as much as it with these professional athletes.

Its a microcosm of humanity at current.  Its not CTE its human nature and the current no consequence society is making it worse.

I didn't see that article that showed the statistics when I previously commented.  The fact that the NFL average is well below the national average for the same age group is very telling and says that it isn't the problem that many believe it is.

Edited by msw2112

4 hours ago, H2o said:

I grew up with a few great athletes before moving out of the city I spent most of my childhood in during my 9th grade year. I stayed friends with and visited everyone over the next few years even after we moved. Only one of them made it out and to the NFL. There was one who was great no matter what sport he played. On the football team he was the star QB who could throw a ball 65 yards in the air with a flick of the wrist. On the basketball team he was the 6'2" SG who could dunk one step inside the FT line. On the baseball team he was the star pitcher who could throw a 92mph fastball at 17 years old or rocket a ball from the warning track to home plate like it was nothing. He got the nickname RIP because he literally knocked a kid out tackling him when we were 9 years old. He always got preferential treatment around the city. He had teachers slide him through classes because they knew what he meant to each team he played on. He got out of various little petty crimes like shoplifting and vandalism because the responding officers knew who he was. By fall of his Senior in HS he had offers to Penn St., Boston College, UVA, VT, UNC, South Carolina, and a few other Division I schools. He then had offers to go to many of the subdivision schools as well. Everything was laid out for him to succeed and he was the most gifted athlete I ever knew. In that time though, having all of those years of people getting him out of everything or whatever else he wanted being handed to him, he began to believe he was untouchable. In the late January of his Senior year he caught an assault and battery charge that lead to him getting 2 different drug charges and a gun possession charge as well. He lost all of his offers and his court cases drug out over the course of a year which caused him to take a year off. He then went to a Juco somewhere and didn't make it a full semester. He's still around the city I spent most of my childhood, being in and out of jail a couple of times. Every time I see him today I think about A Bronx Tale.

original.gif

Please don’t let reality get into the way of the ball that is rolling into these threads! 😃 

I have seen what you’ve seen. It is a shame. If you can be pushed on the field, you can be pushed in the classroom. If you get into trouble with the law, there are ways that can be handled as well...without getting off completely...and without being sunk. 

It’s a shame what happens to these young men. 

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Bubba Gump said:

Can you tell us how many active players are on NFL rosters?  4 stories does not an issue make for the league.  The percentage of players not “in trouble” is significantly higher.  

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, purple haze said:

Can you tell us how many active players are on NFL rosters?  4 stories does not an issue make for the league.  The percentage of players not “in trouble” is significantly higher.  

That’s 4 players in the last few weeks forget about the last few years. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, MrSarcasm said:

This is not a man vs woman thing. This is a dirtbag vs person thing.

Wrong! It is absolutely men abusing women, to think otherwise is being complicit in the continued inaction in dealing with this non stop problem. 

4 hours ago, purple haze said:

Well, there are 330,000 million people in the US. The percentage of the population "not in trouble" is a ***** load higher. You're point has no merit.

And it's more than just 4. That's how many are on the first page of TSW, and what have come out to the public in the past few weeks. Do some research, this has been going on for a long time and has been getting worse. Something has got to change. Unfortunately I have no idea what that is. 

Edited by Bubba Gump
  • Dislike 1

10 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

It’s pretty vulgar but I found the first couple seasons entertaining. 

I just started watching the season with John Beam, the head coach of Laney College in Oakland. Pretty powerful stuff. Never knew this kind of Ju-Co stuff existed. Players sleeping in their cars, working at fast food joints. Crazy stuff. And yes, it is vulgar, but it's also reality. 

5 hours ago, wppete said:

If they had every crime on the news from the general population you could read until your eyes fall out and not even scratch the surface.

You hear about NFL players because they are famous and the stories get clicks. But they do not commit more crimes than normal. In fact, they commit less than normal. Look up thread at the actual rates.

NFL players are well behaved for the most part. It is a shame that a few bad apples seem to spoil the entire bunch just because people make assumptions based on a few, isolated incidences.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Wrong! It is absolutely men abusing women, to think otherwise is being complicit in the continued inaction in dealing with this non stop problem. 

As a woman, I find your remarks condescending. Women are just as capable as men and we don't need you 'white knighting'. 

If you truly want to be an ally, then you shouldn't be castagating a whole group for the actions of a few. 

47 minutes ago, MrSarcasm said:

As a woman, I find your remarks condescending. Women are just as capable as men and we don't need you 'white knighting'. 

If you truly want to be an ally, then you shouldn't be castagating a whole group for the actions of a few. 

If you re read what I wrote you would see that I am not white knighting in the slightest, nor have I castigated any particular group, just those that feel that it’s okay to beat up women, if you as a women don’t want an ally, that’s on you. Me, I’m going to continue to call out these misogynistic dirt bags and those that in effect support them through their  inaction. Do have a thought about pushing away those that are on the right side of this issue.

Edited by Don Otreply

17 hours ago, Bubba Gump said:

Yes, all of the above.

14 hours ago, wppete said:

There’s thousands of players who weren’t in trouble In the last few years and the last few weeks.   

violence/trouble is a human problem.  The NFL will have its share just like broader society.   The NFL isn’t special in that regard. 

10 hours ago, Bubba Gump said:

Well, there are 330,000 million people in the US. The percentage of the population "not in trouble" is a ***** load higher. You're point has no merit.

And it's more than just 4. That's how many are on the first page of TSW, and what have come out to the public in the past few weeks. Do some research, this has been going on for a long time and has been getting worse. Something has got to change. Unfortunately I have no idea what that is. 

The NFL isn’t special in this area.  We don’t hear about all the stories of violence/criminality in broader society either.   It’s a societal/human problem more than an NFL/sports issue specifically.  CTE is an issue.  So is schizophrenia and other mental illnesses that aren’t addressed until someone winds up on the news (or doesn’t). 

• Like (+1) 1

Could it be due to the fact that through out high school & into college because they are noticed to be superior athletes so they are given passes for every thing from grades to discipline when not doing what is suppose to be the right way to do things because they are so good ?

Or did it start in the home with parents noticing the same thing and not enforcing home work or chores at home because they needed to practice to become even better so they could in hopes buy mom a new house .

I remember the kid a few years back dropping the F Bomb on stage when he got drafted said he was excited sorry not a excuse .

If you can't know & control your excitement in that moment some one has in some way failed to teach that person something as far as how to act when in a public setting . 

On 4/8/2021 at 1:11 PM, Paup 1995MVP said:

Great post Rc2.  If it wasn't for football most of these guys aren't going to college.  That's just how it is.  And the problem is that most of them are not smart enuf to realize the value of a free college education.  The ones who do good for them.  But along those lines, read the hype about college players in the draft articles.  Every single one of them is absolutely diefied.  They are all supposedly great prospects.  Every pro workout is amazing.  Every player should be a first round pick.  The players are constantly fed how great they all are.  Why is noone critical anymore?  Give young people some reality.  Just because they play college or pro ball, does not mean they are all great people or even very good football players.  Set the bar higher of what's expected of people.  Maybe things will change.  But it starts at the top.  And I will stop now, because any view that doesn't sit well w the mods on here will get you banned.  There you go.  From the voice of Paup.  Over and out!

Gross overstatement and fairly ignorant of any you know actual facts. 

Did you know that 80% of NCAA FBS and 78% of NCAA FCS football players graduate. The graduation rate for public 4 year schools is 33% and for private is just over 52%.

These young men earn billions of dollars for their universities and their efforts on the field fund every other sport except men's basketball.

Far far more of these young men become outstanding fathers and have careers outside of football. 

And the crime rate among NFL players is lower than the average same aged population.

https://cnsmaryland.org/interactives/Crime-In-NFL/