Watson, Adams, Rudolph, Gladney

What is happening? TSW is starting to look like a police blotter. Four separate disturbing topics on just the first page. Is it CTE, stupidity, addiction, depression, maybe a combination of issues. It's getting a little scary how this is happening as much as it with these professional athletes.

4 minutes ago, Bubba Gump said:

What is happening? TSW is starting to look like a police blotter. Four separate disturbing topics on just the first page. Is it CTE, stupidity, addiction, depression, maybe a combination of issues. It's getting a little scary how this is happening as much as it with these professional athletes.

Almost started a similar thread earlier. It's been a heck of an offseason already for the NFL and its players. Some real bad stuff too.

I think you are on the right track with the combination of CTE, addiction, and poor mental heath.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Bubba Gump said:

I was actually just commenting to that effect in the Shoutbox earlier today.  It's like NFL, WTF?

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Bubba Gump said:

Criminals playing in the NFL. Criminality is a major issue and needs to be rooted out. Why is the NFL hiring violent criminals?  It needs to stop. Enough is enough. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Bubba Gump said:

4 out of 2400. Guessing better then other population samples.

• Like (+1) 4

If I’m being 100% honest I’m surprised there isn’t a ton more. 
Some of these guys are babies and have never done anything but play ball. Schools and agents and etc etc have held their hands and done everything for them. How many of these guys got free schooling and wouldn’t even attend their classes without constant supervision? Now they’re going to be paid life changing money and suddenly develop morals and respect? Don’t get me wrong plenty of guys come from good backgrounds and worked hard and did the right things or even made a few mistakes but there’s a pretty big majority that are just young entitled brats who think everything is yours if you just play good on gameday. Last chance U on Netflix was a tough watch for me. Any of you that have seen it these guys have all this talent but you get to watch them just destroy their chance at a career in or outside of football. 

• Like (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, wppete said:

Criminals playing in the NFL. Criminality is a major issue and needs to be rooted out. Why is the NFL hiring violent criminals?  It needs to stop. Enough is enough. 

I really think that teams don't intentionally hire "criminals".  They get bad press too.  I think between major $$$ that is acquired, lack of supervision for some of these people leads to bad stuff happening.  Like it was already stated - it is a small population of bad apples that seemingly ruin the bushel of apples.

24/7/365 news coverage certainly doesn't help the optics either!!!

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Some of these guys are babies and have never done anything but play ball. Schools and agents and etc etc have held their hands and done everything for them. How many of these guys got free schooling and wouldn’t even attend their classes without constant supervision? Now they’re going to be paid life changing money and suddenly develop morals and respect? Don’t get me wrong plenty of guys come from good backgrounds and worked hard and did the right things or even made a few mistakes but there’s a pretty big majority that are just young entitled brats who think everything is yours if you just play good on gameday. Last chance U on Netflix was a tough watch for me. Any of you that have seen it these guys have all this talent but you get to watch them just destroy their chance at a career in or outside of football. 

Haven't seen it. Will definitely check it out though.

1 minute ago, Warcodered said:

People going stir crazy after being pent up all Covid Season.

Deshaun didn't seem to have a problem getting around, lol.

44 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Great post Rc2.  If it wasn't for football most of these guys aren't going to college.  That's just how it is.  And the problem is that most of them are not smart enuf to realize the value of a free college education.  The ones who do good for them.  But along those lines, read the hype about college players in the draft articles.  Every single one of them is absolutely diefied.  They are all supposedly great prospects.  Every pro workout is amazing.  Every player should be a first round pick.  The players are constantly fed how great they all are.  Why is noone critical anymore?  Give young people some reality.  Just because they play college or pro ball, does not mean they are all great people or even very good football players.  Set the bar higher of what's expected of people.  Maybe things will change.  But it starts at the top.  And I will stop now, because any view that doesn't sit well w the mods on here will get you banned.  There you go.  From the voice of Paup.  Over and out!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I'd be curious to know what the percentage of NFL players who get into trouble with the law compares to the general population of the same age group.  While a number of NFL guys definitely appear on the police blotter, the vast majority do not.

I think it's unfair and inappropriate to the players and the league to simply be dismissive and call it a league of criminals or thugs.

On the other hand, while I believe in second chances, some of these guys are given 3, 4, 5 and more chances to be a part of the league simply because they are talented guys who can help a team on the field.  I believe the teams and the league deserve the criticism they receive in those situations.  It's also often hypocritical.  Fringe players who get in trouble with the law are easily dismissed whereas star players get multiple opportunities and the league looks the other way.  I'm not sure why Michael Irvin and Ray Lewis are significant members of the NFL media.  I think the league would be better served to have those guys enjoy their wealth and fame outside of the spotlight, given their histories.

Edited by msw2112

41 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I grew up with a few great athletes before moving out of the city I spent most of my childhood in during my 9th grade year. I stayed friends with and visited everyone over the next few years even after we moved. Only one of them made it out and to the NFL. There was one who was great no matter what sport he played. On the football team he was the star QB who could throw a ball 65 yards in the air with a flick of the wrist. On the basketball team he was the 6'2" SG who could dunk one step inside the FT line. On the baseball team he was the star pitcher who could throw a 92mph fastball at 17 years old or rocket a ball from the warning track to home plate like it was nothing. He got the nickname RIP because he literally knocked a kid out tackling him when we were 9 years old. He always got preferential treatment around the city. He had teachers slide him through classes because they knew what he meant to each team he played on. He got out of various little petty crimes like shoplifting and vandalism because the responding officers knew who he was. By fall of his Senior in HS he had offers to Penn St., Boston College, UVA, VT, UNC, South Carolina, and a few other Division I schools. He then had offers to go to many of the subdivision schools as well. Everything was laid out for him to succeed and he was the most gifted athlete I ever knew. In that time though, having all of those years of people getting him out of everything or whatever else he wanted being handed to him, he began to believe he was untouchable. In the late January of his Senior year he caught an assault and battery charge that lead to him getting 2 different drug charges and a gun possession charge as well. He lost all of his offers and his court cases drug out over the course of a year which caused him to take a year off. He then went to a Juco somewhere and didn't make it a full semester. He's still around the city I spent most of my childhood, being in and out of jail a couple of times. Every time I see him today I think about A Bronx Tale.

original.gif

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Bubba Gump said:

This behavior is nothing new in America,  many many men beat up and otherwise treat women as second class citizens all the time, just look at the last five years of just the NFL players who have done this, then if you have the stomach for it, look up police records for domestic abuse in your state, and then nationally.  .. this has been and IS an on going problem for women, and too many men don’t think it’s particularly important..., because it continues to happen every damn day, there are a lot of broken men out there perpetuating this behavior, and our society in effect does nothing about it. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

This behavior is nothing new in America,  many many men beat up and otherwise treat women as second class citizens all the time, just look at the last five years of just the NFL players who have done this, then if you have the stomach for it, look up police records for domestic abuse in your state, and then nationally.  .. this has been and IS an on going problem for women, and too many men don’t think it’s particularly important..., because it continues to happen every damn day, there are a lot of broken men out there perpetuating this behavior, and our society in effect does nothing about it. 

This is not a man vs woman thing. This is a dirtbag vs person thing.

1 hour ago, msw2112 said:

I'd be curious to know what the percentage of NFL players who get into trouble with the law compares to the general population of the same age group.  While a number of NFL guys definitely appear on the police blotter, the vast majority do not.

I think it's unfair and inappropriate to the players and the league to simply be dismissive and call it a league of criminals or thugs.

On the other hand, while I believe in second chances, some of these guys are given 3, 4, 5 and more chances to be a part of the league simply because they are talented guys who can help a team on the field.  I believe the teams and the league deserve the criticism they receive in those situations.  It's also often hypocritical.  Fringe players who get in trouble with the law are easily dismissed whereas star players get multiple opportunities and the league looks the other way.  I'm not sure why Michael Irvin and Ray Lewis are significant members of the NFL media.  I think the league would be better served to have those guys enjoy their wealth and fame outside of the spotlight, given their histories.

See the second post in this thread.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-rate-of-domestic-violence-arrests-among-nfl-players/#:~:text=That 55.4 percent is more,our estimated 21 percent nationally.

image.thumb.png.1372826324b5c2edd0523a75c8e7325b.png

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1