Bills players you disliked

24 minutes ago, Agent 91 said:

I know this is way off topic but I never met a nicer Bill than Lawyer Milloy

To put a positive spin on this, I spent a fair amount of time with Jim Ritcher, a wall guy, and he is a super gent.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Jairus Byrd for sure. The whole couldn't play because of PF was such a load of crap.

I never cared for Eric Wood as a player (seems like a good guy), I just always thought he was over-rated

Jim Kelly - the stories away from the field are something

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

OK so can we put Ryan L Bilz down in the "McDermott would love to have Stevie Johnson on his team" category?

His apologists don't seem to have much courage to match their conviction on this topic.

Sorry I don't live on the forum, dude. 

Here are some excerpts from Tim Graham's 2020 interview with Stevie surrounding the Pittsburgh game drop & subsequent tweet fallout. 

“Yeah,” Johnson replied, “this right here. This was a really bad time for me.

“I still think about it every other day.”

Johnson represented a mirthful defiance that made Buffalo fans feel they’d unearthed a star. He was undeniable, a blithe spirit with sprawling tattoos, a piercing studded in his cheek and elaborate designs shaved into his hair. He embraced Buffalo. He dared fans to cut loose. He wrote poetry. He was transparent.

“He was quiet around the locker room, but he had a lot of swag to him, especially on Sundays,” Bills fullback Corey McIntyre said. “He did things his own way. He had a style of playing that nobody in the league had at that time.”

Little would his charisma have resonated if Johnson weren’t sensational on the field.

“If you’re not emotional and hard on yourself, then I would question his passion for the game,” Bills safety and captain George Wilson said in the locker room. “But, man, that guy is over there crying his eyes out. He knows how precious those moments are.”

Johnson’s postgame press conference was a confessional. His voiced cracked. His nose was stuffy. He accepted blame for “75 drops in the game” and declared, “I’ll never get over it. Ever.”

“When I woke up the next morning,” Johnson said, “there were death threats and everything.”

Johnson issued clarifications that Monday on Twitter and Facebook, asking fans and friends to understand he hadn’t blamed God for the drop, that he merely wondered out loud why God chose that crucial moment to teach him a lesson.

“All of the sudden, he was the face of the drought,” Lee Evans said last month. “He took it hard.

“But that was a big turning point for him in his life and in his career. Maybe it was the turning point in how he attacked the game.”

Over the final five games, Johnson dropped just three of his 43 targets. He finished with 82 receptions for 1,073 yards and 10 touchdowns, totals nobody has matched for the Bills since.

Johnson remained among the Bills’ most popular players. On the verge of unrestricted free agency in March 2012, the Bills re-signed him to a five-year, $36.25 million contract. The San Francisco 49ers would have offered Johnson an average of $9 million a year, agent CJ LaBoy said.

“But he just refused,” LaBoy said. “He loved Buffalo. He was loyal because Buffalo gave him the chance. He said, ‘I owe it to Ralph. I owe it to Chan. I owe it to Fitz.'”

“I just wanted to show how somebody can learn and get better from this,” Johnson said. “That’s when I started telling myself, ‘You’ve got to handle biz, then have fun.’ I started playing with that phrase and came up with HBHF.

“I never told this to anybody, but that came from this.”

“Nobody thinks twice if I thank God for helping me kill this DB,” Johnson said, “but they do when I ask God, ‘What’s up? I praise you all the time. How can you let this happen to one of your soldiers?’

“That’s a conversation we all may have. On the Internet and at that time, it wasn’t appropriate. But that’s me, I guess.”

Johnson’s explanation squares with comedian George Carlin: “What can we do to silence these Christian athletes, who thank Jesus whenever they win, never mention his name when they lose? Not a word. You never heard them say, ‘Jesus made me drop the ball. The good Lord tripped me up behind the line of scrimmage.'”

Johnson also underscored that, despite his previous hot streak, failing so badly while on his seventh-round rookie contract saturated him with desperation.

And saying “THX THO” wasn’t sarcasm, he insisted, but an acknowledgment that God must have a master plan for him.

“I was hurting,” Johnson said. “I put that at the end because I knew something good would come from this. I knew He was doing it for a reason, a terrible moment.

Yeah, Stevie called out Gailey once in 2012 (perhaps it was warranted, considering the offense was ***** and Gailey was fired just a couple months later...). You know who else was a headache for their team and was labeled a diva? Who just so happens to be on the current Bills roster and whose nuts all our fans hang off of? I'll give you some time to think of who that might be.

You make Stevie out to be some dickwad for some reason. In an era of ***** teams and ***** players - many of whom were just collecting a paycheck - he busted his ass and helped make the team fun to watch, every week. He loved Buffalo, the fans, the team, and still comes back for games/gives back to the community. 

Have fun hating SJ13 🤙

Zxb3Q6f.jpg

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 4

22 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

I forgot about Leodis McKelvin. It’s the only time in my life I believed someone could be too dumb to be on a football field. The funny part was we had coaches who were even dumber. He held on to kick/punt return duties far too long. 

Good post. Speaking of too stupid to be on the football field, does anyone remember who the Bills player was who let a kick off go unfielded in the end zone, thinking it would be a dead ball, but the other team recovered it for a TD? This was in the early 80's I think. I was too young to remember the name, but knew the rules and was freaked when he let the ball bounce around. 

Edited by chongli
  • Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, chongli said:

Good post. Speaking of too stupid to be on the football field, does anyone remember who the Bills player was who let a kick off go unfielded in the end zone, thinking it would be a dead ball, but the other team recovered it for a TD? This was in the early 80's I think. I was too young to remember the name, but knew the rules and was freaked when he let the ball bounce around. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/look-bills-give-up-humiliating-touchdown-to-jets-kickoff-team-in-30-10-loss/amp/

Happened to the great Mike Gillislee.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Rico said:

Nice find! I had forgotten about that one. No excuse for committing that kind of play. I am still trying to rack my head over who did it in the 80's.

6 minutes ago, chongli said:

Nice find! I had forgotten about that one. No excuse for committing that kind of play. I am still trying to rack my head over who did it in the 80's.

Maybe Curtis Brown? (apologies to him if he is innocent!)

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Rico said:

Damn, that’s the guy I know you hated, more than Chambers, I forgot DOH.

I felt bad for the guy. He was getting crushed on every play and it seemed as if lives were be placed in jeopardy on virtually every play. Defenders were putting unobstructed hits on our players. 

But we had a "good" secondary. 

2 hours ago, dma0034 said:

I never cared for Eric Wood as a player (seems like a good guy), I just always thought he was over-rated

He was, because we were busy trying to convince ourselves that Jason Peters was an undeserving ingrate and not one of the greatest players to ever have worn a Bills uniform.

It made it seem excusable to trade away a future hall of fame left tackle, and many pretended that the trade made sense and wasn't such an idiotic move.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Rico said:

Maybe Curtis Brown? (apologies to him if he is innocent!)

That actually sounds like a very good choice. He would fit. I just remember being furious when it happened. I was like in elementary school back then and even I knew it was a live ball.

And sorry to all...I didn't mean to hijack this thread, lol!

Edited by chongli

16 hours ago, klos63 said:

So basically, the kicker has nothing to do with the outcome of the kick?

It's perfectly reasonable to stick up for Norwood, but the 'it never should have come down to a kick' excuse is one of the most BS one's I've heard and have listened to it for 30+ years. Games come down to kicks , that's why you have kickers. He missed it, nobody else did.

I've never heard excuse #2 before, you can blame the LS for a bad snap that's too high, bounces, wide... but it's his responsibility to have the laces correctly? That's a new one for me.

Sorry Mrs Norwood, he missed it and we all have to live with the pain forever.

Let's say the QB throws a perfect pass. Kelvin Benjamin the WR bobbles the ball and puts it right into the hands of the defender. Is the resulting INT the QB's fault, or the WR's?

Scott Norwood provided a kick which very well might have gone through, had the laces been aligned correctly. Was it his responsibility to somehow adjust his kick to the fact the laces were facing the wrong way? Is that something the coaches had drilled into him during practice? I don't have the answers to those questions. But, I haven't heard of kickers practicing "laces wrong" type kicks.

As for the long snapper thing: a few years ago I read Bill Polian's book. In it, he described an (unnamed) long snapper. According to Polian, the long snapper was a perfectly good player except for one thing. When he snapped the ball the laces were always aligned incorrectly. He wrote that he didn't want to have to cut an otherwise good player due to that one thing. So, he had a coach or ex-player (I forget which) work with the long snapper on that issue. The coach figured out that the ball was consistently a quarter turn the wrong way. So he taught the player to rotate the ball by a quarter turn before snapping it. Bingo! Problem solved. The player kept his roster spot.

The point I was making with the missed opportunities thing is that the blame for the loss doesn't all come down to the final play. Every player who missed plays they should have made should be held accountable, not just the one missed opportunity at the very end of the game.

3 hours ago, warrior9 said:

Aaron Schobel 

I don't know why, I always thought he was overrated because he was a decent player on a bad team. Just as a player, unsure about as a human. 

DISAGREE. Do you even remember Chris Kelsay? The man just stayed on the Bills roster forever and never could get over 5 sacks in a season.

Schobel never got under 5 sacks except for his injured season. Matter of fact Schobel had over 10 sacks for 4 seasons.