Bills players you disliked

8 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

1) I don't know where you get the Johnson/Hardy narrative.   Hardy was a bust.......Johnson was just a roster hanger-on during that period.    Stevie Johnson's out-producing James Hardy 12 catches to 10 in 2008-2009 did not make anyone forget that Hardy was a bust.    

2) Evans and Parrish were at the end of their careers in 2010.......misfit vertical receivers a horizontal passing offense with two short tossing QB's......their draft status as they were washing out as players is completely irrelevant.   After 2010 the two of them combined for a total of 90 yards receiving before they hung up the cleats.

3) You are conflating Donald Jones and George Wilson..........different guys.   

4) What I know is that Gailey gave him a chance to play and a style of offense that was perfect for his skillset.   And his reward?   Johnson openly defying a totally reasonable request to not commit selfish penalties.    

5) Your second and third paragraph is utter self-serving "I'm the cool old guy" sh*t.  :lol:   That was a lotta' words to twist what I said.    I respect the lost generation of Bills fans who grew up not knowing what a contending team looks like.........you raise a toast from afar if you want........ I tailgate with them every home game.  Some of them since they were kids and now they have kids.    They had every right to not want anything to do with the morbidly mediocre, drought era Bills.   Like I said,  I blame the organization for the incompetence.   When your team has no substance,  the people are naturally going to gravitate to any "style" in it's absence.    Even some people who should have a higher standard found importance in some of his stupid acts......like that "pure gold" you described.:rolleyes:   

You think you know what everything looks like..........well if you think Sean McDermott would tolerate an asshat like SJ13 then you don't know much.:lol:

A few final thoughts and I'll leave this alone.  It's been fun.  This is a thread about Bills that we did not care for and you have fairly called out Stevie as being on your list.  But for clarity sake, please don't spin my words.

1. The Johnson/Hardy narrative is completely relevant.  The point you were refuting was my assertion that Stevie had worked his ass off and got on the field ahead of higher drafted guys.  Comparing his career with a guy from his own draft class, drafted 5 rounds earlier is relevant.  I'm not sure how you don't get where that comes from. 
  2. You stated that Stevie was the only drafted receiver in Gailey's first lineup.  That is simply not true.  Gailey's first lineup in 2010 included former 1st round pick Lee Evans and former 2nd round pick Roscoe Parrish.  Their career trajectories do not alter that.
  3. Conflating George Wilson and Donald Wilson?  I'm not, but I am laughing at my self on that one as I see that I did type "Donald Wilson".  Imagine the blasphemy if I had typed Donald Nixon.  I don't know where that came from, but again, I am not conflating them.  Call it a senior keyboard moment...  Donald Jones was a fun player, a nice player and a good guy.  I remember him well, but my point was that his primary contributions came subsequent to Stevie's arrival.
  4. I think that many over reacted to Stevie's personality and his penalties. Open defiance?  Go back in time and look up Gailey's reactions.  It's not that blatant.
  5. You don't get to say that a lost generation of Bills fans "had no real understanding of what to expect of a winning franchise and had come to accept some pretty low standards" in one breath and then say that you respect them in the next.  You painting them with the victim brush for not knowing any better is not respect.  

And I've always been the cool old guy, even if only in my own mind...  My self serving sh*t has always served me well, thank goodness...  Someone has to...  You have a great day, BADOL.  We'll see you 'round, no doubt...  

Another great thread! Here are a few (not necessarily in order):

1) Donte Whitner: The only thing he was good at was self promotion. He got jammed up in a domestic, tased at a club, held out before signing, and made 36 million real cap dollars. To this day I consider him the worst Bills draft pick ever, taking into account the players we passed on and the multiple trade offers Levy declined. When he got drafted I posted on TSW that he would set the franchise back 5 years. I underestimated the length of time. 

2) Jerry Ostroski: Remember when he insisted on playing center? He was making 3 million per year when that was big money for an NFL guard. The problem was that he sucked. Defenders were sacking our QBs before he got out of his stance. 

3) Not players but the combination of Levy/Jauron: Ivy League degrees and all, they were Rich Kotite level horrible, worse in terms of the draft. Looking back, we never had the slightest chance of winning with these 2 inadequate football men running the show.

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Like (+1) 3

17 hours ago, sherpa said:

Lusteg was horrible.

Barber was way over rated, on an offensive line that was really good, (Al Bemiller,  Dick Hudson, Billy Shaw),and milked the organization to a front office position. 

Not a good tackle and a terrible front office guy.

I could name ten more, but those come to mind.

Along these lines, I hated John Rauch for destroying the championship teams and making OJ a decoy. Then I hated Harvey Johnson (TWICE!) for being named Head Coach with zero coaching experience. There was absolutely zero hope for a competitive team under him.

come to think of it 🤔, I hated Ralph Wilson -EXCEPT for bringing and keeping his team in Buffalo. When he meddled with the operation, Everybody lost!

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Another great thread! Here are a few (not necessrily in order):

1) Donte Whitner: The only thing he was good at was self promotion. He got jammed up in a domestic, tased at a club, held out before signing, and made 36 million real cap dollars. To this day I consider him the worst Bills draft pick ever, taking into account the players we passed on and the multiple trade offers Levy declined. When he got drafted I posted on TSW that he would set the franchise back 5 years. I underestimated the length of time. 

2) Jerry Ostroski: Remember when he insisted on playing center? He was making 3 million per year when that was big money for an NFL guard. The problem was that he sucked. Defenders were sacking our QBs before he got out of his stance. 

3) Not players but the combination of Levy/Jauron: Ivy League degrees and all, they were Rich Kotite level horrible, worse in terms of the draft. Looking back, we never had the slightest chance of winning with these 2 inadequate football men running the show.

I’m glad to see you bring up Ostroski. 

What about Kirk Chambers?

• Haha (+1) 1

Its tough.  I didnt 'dislike' many Bills that come to mind.

The top one I guess is Trent Edwards.  Once things were going south he really came across as a baby in his interviews and such and he became such a soft, low-compete player as a QB.

The one who I underappreciated the most, or never really had a positive opinion of, despite his place in the history of the team stat-wise was Aaron Schoebel.  The guy got like 80 sacks and had 14 one season, and I can't say I can recall any particular play or highlight of his.

I really didnt like Rian Lindell either.  Nothing against the guy...but the NFL had evolved into the league where nearly every kicker can boot 50+ yarders pretty regularly and Lindell was still a decent 1990s kicker.  That carried over a bit with Carpenter although he had a little more of a leg, but they still burned a roster spot on a kicker who can get touchbacks

Oh.  I hated Brad Smith.  Again, not the guy, just his roster spot waste.  They would bring him out for a wild cat.  The entire stadium knew the play, and he would be tackled for a loss.  yay

Edited by May Day 10

3 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

Its tough.  I didnt 'dislike' many Bills that come to mind.

The top one I guess is Trent Edwards.  Once things were going south he really came across as a baby in his interviews and such and he became such a soft, low-compete player as a QB.

The one who I underappreciated the most, or never really had a positive opinion of, despite his place in the history of the team stat-wise was Aaron Schoebel.  The guy got like 80 sacks and had 14 one season, and I can't say I can recall any particular play or highlight of his.

Holy Crap!  I just looked at Schobel's career stats and I think you could make a case, he was a top 5 pass rusher in in the NFL from 2003-2006.

He averaged 11 sacks a season in that 4 year span. 

I do not remember that at all.

34 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Along these lines, I hated John Rauch for destroying the championship teams and making OJ a decoy. Then I hated Harvey Johnson (TWICE!) for being named Head Coach with zero coaching experience. There was absolutely zero hope for a competitive team under him.

come to think of it 🤔, I hated Ralph Wilson -EXCEPT for bringing and keeping his team in Buffalo. When he meddled with the operation, Everybody lost!

NOW we're talking! Way easier to come up with Head Coaches and FO guys I've disliked than players. Actually... easier to come up with a short list of HC/FO guys I actually liked!

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, sherpa said:

I'd include Ko Simpson on the list.

The year we drafted him I was at a UVA college baseball game and sat next to ag guy who said he was a regional scout for an NFL team, not the Bills, but he wouldn't say which team.

I asked him what he thought of our draft, and specifically Ko Simpson.

He kind of grimaced and said "Believe the Wonderlic."

One guy I didn't dislike but could never figure out was Jeff Posey.

The man simply never did anything.

But he's worth millions!

7 hours ago, ColeB said:

How about the Bills defense that let WR Mark Ingram break several tackles to convert a 3rd and 17?

It shouldn't have come down to that?  Why is that play a problem, but not a missed FG at the end of the game?

• Agree 1

40 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Or Greg Jerman. Remember him?

He was a free agent LT from the Dolphins. I watched him and actually was worried that he would get somebody killed out there.

Damn, that’s the guy I know you hated, more than Chambers, I forgot DOH.

Edited by Rico
  • Like (+1) 1