Bills players you disliked

10 minutes ago, Sweet Lou said:

Dick Jauron - It’s tough to win in NFL

Trent Edwards - Gotta look at the tape

Rob Johnson - Sacked again & again

EJ Manuel - Couldn’t read playbook

I find it much easier to hate coaches than players.  If we are counting coaches, Jauron and Rex Ryan top my list. Hated when they hired Rex...I admit I was almost seduced, but ultimately, he was as big a train-wreck as I anticipated he would be. 

Jauron almost singlehandedly had me wondering if I should watch the Bills any more.  I know they had worse teams, but Jauron just coached the fun and  joy out of football, for me.  I hated his tenure. To me, the one time TO popped off while he was in Buffalo, was to complain about the blandness of their game plans...Jauron got fired the next week.  For that, I can never hate TO.  Just as some say that Flutie "saved the Bills from leaving the Bills", Terrell Ownes may have saved me from ditching the Bills.

Edited by Buftex
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

Jairus Byrd & Stephon Gilmore were both unprofessional and quit on the team.

Definitely.  First guy I thought of was Gilmore.  Afraid to make a tackle, and would look around to blame another player when he got beat.    But I forgot about J. Byrd.  Totally quit on the Bills and seemed to exagérate an injury his last year.  

Have ro add Bryan Cox Jr.  Because his dad’s such a tremendous a-hole.

I see some people naming Magahee and  M. Lynch.  Those guys might’ve bad mouthed Buffalo, but at least they ran hard.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Baba Booey said:

Scott f’ing Norwood. 

I can't agree with you on this. Consider the following:

1) No way, absolutely no way, should the coaches or players have allowed that game to come down to a 47 yard field goal try on grass. Plenty of wasted opportunities which led to that.

2) The long snapper was at fault for snapping the ball incorrectly. With a correct snap the laces should be facing the proper direction.

3) The holder was at fault for failing to turn the laces to the proper direction.

4) Norwood's kick had the distance, but angled the wrong direction--as you'd expect when the laces were facing in.

5) Norwood never forgave himself for that missed field goal. Some would say it ruined the rest of his life.

38 minutes ago, Arm of Harm said:

1) No way, absolutely no way, should the coaches or players have allowed that game to come down to a 47 yard field goal try on grass. Plenty of wasted opportunities which led to that.

2) The long snapper was at fault for snapping the ball incorrectly. With a correct snap the laces should be facing the proper direction.

3) The holder was at fault for failing to turn the laces to the proper direction.

4) Norwood's kick had the distance, but angled the wrong direction--as you'd expect when the laces were facing in.

5) Norwood never forgave himself for that missed field goal. Some would say it ruined the rest of his life.

So basically, the kicker has nothing to do with the outcome of the kick?

38 minutes ago, Arm of Harm said:

It's perfectly reasonable to stick up for Norwood, but the 'it never should have come down to a kick' excuse is one of the most BS one's I've heard and have listened to it for 30+ years. Games come down to kicks , that's why you have kickers. He missed it, nobody else did.

I've never heard excuse #2 before, you can blame the LS for a bad snap that's too high, bounces, wide... but it's his responsibility to have the laces correctly? That's a new one for me.

Sorry Mrs Norwood, he missed it and we all have to live with the pain forever.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Reks Ryan said:

Definitely.  First guy I thought of was Gilmore.  Afraid to make a tackle, and would look around to blame another player when he got beat.    But I forgot about J. Byrd.  Totally quit on the Bills and seemed to exagérate an injury his last year.  

I see some people naming Magahee and  M. Lynch.  Those guys might’ve bad mouthed Buffalo, but at least they ran hard.

There is no proof that Byrd quit on the Bills or exaggerated his injury. No reason to believe that. He was an All Pro caliber player before his injury, for some reason someone suggested he faked it and some people ran with it. He was a tremendous player with the Bills.

1 hour ago, klos63 said:

So basically, the kicker has nothing to do with the outcome of the kick?

It's perfectly reasonable to stick up for Norwood, but the 'it never should have come down to a kick' excuse is one of the most BS one's I've heard and have listened to it for 30+ years. Games come down to kicks , that's why you have kickers. He missed it, nobody else did.

I've never heard excuse #2 before, you can blame the LS for a bad snap that's too high, bounces, wide... but it's his responsibility to have the laces correctly? That's a new one for me.

Sorry Mrs Norwood, he missed it and we all have to live with the pain forever.

How about the Bills defense that let WR Mark Ingram break several tackles to convert a 3rd and 17?

• Like (+1) 1

Rob Johnson (looked like a d-bag, played like a pansy)

Willis McGahee (we use a 1st rounder on your injured a** while having a pro-bowl RB already...then you gonna crap on the city?!)

Tyrod Taylor (not personally, just how he played the last season & a half...made Trent Edwards look like a gunslinger!)

Marcel Dareus (take the money & do nothing...yay)

Kiko Alonso (fine his 1 season that he played here, then became a cheapshot artist)

Marcus Stroud (big hype around his signing, got an extension, then did nothing)

If we are including coaches then it is Rex Ryan hands down. 

The day the news broke that we were hiring Rex is genuinely the closest I have ever felt to just saying "screw it I'll find something else to be interested in." 

The day we fired him is in my top 5 Bills fan moments.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Reks Ryan said:

Agree on Gilmore. His last year here, he refused to tackle anyone. He quit on the team to make sure he got the next contract. 

6 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I think everyone knows it..........but it hurts his fans to hear it.

The term "Bills Mafia" was not born of logic..........it came about by loss-grief stricken fans defending SJ13 against national media mocking him for losing a game with a drop and then blaming God on twitter..........but I think after a few years of winning those fans now know that kinda' sh*t shouldn't have happened......wouldn't be accepted in that locker room now....... and did not warrant excuse making at the time.

is this the part where we pretend Stevie Johnson isn’t good at football ? 

• Like (+1) 1

I'd include Ko Simpson on the list.

The year we drafted him I was at a UVA college baseball game and sat next to ag guy who said he was a regional scout for an NFL team, not the Bills, but he wouldn't say which team.

I asked him what he thought of our draft, and specifically Ko Simpson.

He kind of grimaced and said "Believe the Wonderlic."

One guy I didn't dislike but could never figure out was Jeff Posey.

The man simply never did anything.

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

If we are including coaches then it is Rex Ryan hands down. 

The day the news broke that we were hiring Rex is genuinely the closest I have ever felt to just saying "screw it I'll find something else to be interested in." 

The day we fired him is in my top 5 Bills fan moments.

No real players -- except maybe Rob Johnson -- who, at least according to Marty Biron, actively rooted against the Bills when Flutie was playing,  but definitely lots of coaches and front office

1.  Rex Ryan -- such a megalomaniac

2. Gregg Williams -- Mr. Blowhorn

3. Tom Donohoe -- thought something was wrong when Marvin Lewis chose the Bengals over the Bills.

4. Mike Mularkey -- trick plays when up 30 points is just karma waiting to happen

5. Doug Marrone -- although I liked him much better after he left.

6 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I think everyone knows it..........but it hurts his fans to hear it.

The term "Bills Mafia" was not born of logic..........it came about by loss-grief stricken fans defending SJ13 against national media mocking him for losing a game with a drop and then blaming God on twitter..........but I think after a few years of winning those fans now know that kinda' sh*t shouldn't have happened......wouldn't be accepted in that locker room now....... and did not warrant excuse making at the time.

I don't think that everyone knows it.    I think that this is a grey area and an unknown.  I love McDermott, of that I am sure.  I know that he as competitive as they come.  Beyond that, I can't claim to have climbed inside his psyche to know how he would respond to every player in the league.  I know that he quickly bounced guys that didn't buy in to the team culture and didn't fit the general scheme envisioned for their positions.  I know that he also has embraced some players that we may not have expected.  Be honest, when Diggs was sulking and tweeting his way out of Minnesota at the end of 2019, did you look on and say hey... there is a "process guy"?  Did you expect that guy to be the missing piece for a McDermott team?  I sure didn't.  

With respect to Stevie, he was a craftsman who ran routes as well as anyone in the game at that time.  Sound like a familiar skill set?  Would he have bought in?  We will never know for sure.  How would McDermott have reacted to Stevie?  We don't that either.  But we do have some clues, and not all of them suggest what you say is a slam dunk, sure outcome.  Listen to McDermott's reaction on the field last year after Josh took a taunting penalty after scoring against the Chargers last year: 

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2020/12/03/sean-mcdermott-didnt-mind-josh-allen-taunt-buffalo-bills/ 

Clearly, McDermott was not upset with Allen's penalty, which many would call "selfish".  Others would call it competitive swagger.  McDermott is clearly in that camp.  Gailey appears to have been more in that camp than it appeared on the surface.  If you go back and look into Gailey's reaction to Stevie's infamous penalty against New England at the end of 2011 which got him benched, you may be surprised.  Gailey acknowledges not only that he didn't understand how that could not be a penalty one year, but could be the following, he also acknowledges that he had to bench him because he had kind of painted himself into a corner earlier in the season by telling the entire team that would be the result if any member of the team took that penalty.  Interviewed after the game, Gailey's words revealing as to how upset he really was with Stevie.

CHAN GAILEY, HEAD COACH

Q:What's your view of Stevie Johnson's penalty? 

CG:Well, what we said after we had an issue earlier in the season was 'If anybody got a penalty that hurt our football team for any kind of demonstration, that he was out that game and then we would decide about the next game.' And so, if I say that, then I am going to do it, so he was out. 

Q:How disappointed are you in him for doing what he did? Because he knows better... 

CG:Well, you know, I am disappointed. What happens is, it happened last year, he put a message on his shirt, showed his shirt and didn't get a flag. And he does it this year, and he gets a flag. Which one is it, you know? It puts me in a bind because I make the statement and if I say it, I'm going to do it. So, I could not argue the grey area of that. So, yeah, I'm disappointed and if it hurts the team, then I've got to do what I've got to do. 

Q:Stevie Johnson has had a history of being selfish. At what point do you get tired of it? 

CG:I got tired of it the first time it happened. But, you hope people learn from situations. You know, there isn't anybody who hasn't made mistakes, but you've got to learn from your mistakes. And everybody falls in that category, me too, and I have said this a hundred times. He is not a bad guy; he's not. He's a good guy, but he uses some bad judgment at times and if you do that enough and it hurts the team, you've got to do something.

https://www.patriots.com/news/bills-postgame-quotes-178376  (Sorry for the evil empire link, but gotta take the 10 year old quotes where you find them...)

At any rate, the point is football coaches like competitive guys.  Sometimes they do foolish things out of enthusiasm and swagger.  I don't pretend to know that McDermott would have it, would have been more successful or even willing to coach that out of Stevie.  I do sense that he wants to leave that swagger and enthusiasm just as it is in Josh.  

So BADOL let's just leave it here.  Clearly you have a distaste for Stevie Johnson.  Fair enough, you are entitled to your opinion.  Equally clear, my opinion runs counter to yours.  You may be right.  I don't know.  But I am not sure that you or anyone else on this board knows how Stevie would have fared under McDermott.  I think that it would have been fun to have a time machine to bring young Stevie 10 years into the future to find out.

• Like (+1) 3