Bills players you disliked

16 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

He was actually the highest drafted player in Gailey's first WR lineup.    The ONLY one actually.    Jones and Nelson were UDFA's.

As I said........Gailey made him........he gave him freedoms that really don't otherwise exist in the NFL......because the offense was SO untalented.

It was backyard football and he and Fitz put up some bulk numbers........but, I suppose predictably,  it wasn't really effective.........in 2012 he finished 18th in receiving yards but only 160th in catch % in an offense that wasn't exactly pushing it downfield and making high risk throws.

In his three 1,000 yard seasons his catch % never got out of the 50's.

He wasn't terribly interested in physical training either.........and at the end of his very brief run of success with Gailey he was constantly nagged with soft tissue injuries and that was pretty much it.   Pfft.

I know SJ was a hero to the "lost generation" of Bills fans.    Young people who knew only losing and had no real understanding of what to expect of a winning franchise and had come to accept some pretty low standards.    I blame the Bills organization for that.   

The lost generation Bills nation. :(  Of course, I blame Ralph.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Dukestreetking said:

I actually liked Flutie...and hated Rob Johnson.

Or did I hate Pretty Boy so much that it made me like Flutie...in some twisted way? I don't know.

In my defense: I lived in CA at the time, so didn't have a feel for the true Flutie ambience.

I know somebody who worked for the Bills from 1986, until the Pegulas took over. Flutie was a "Flutie guy" all the time. He wasnt very popular with some of his vet teammates, and did a lot to undermine "pretty boy". There really was a sense that Flutie put his own personal success above his teams success pretty consistently. 

I remember sitting behind the Bills bench in New Orleans, for the final game of the 1998 season.  In a surprise move, Wade sat Flutie for the final game, as the team had already clinched a playoff spot. It was known a couple days earlier.  The Bills pretty much rolled over the Saints...RJ had a near perfect game.  At the time, there was some perception that Fluties arm was waring down late in the season...he looked terrible the week before in a loss to the Jets..

Flutie sulked on the sideline, about 10 yards from the rest of the team, for most of the game.  Johnson was excited, at one point, after hitting Moulds for a 70 yard touchdown.  He was high-fived by his temmates, but Flutie turned his back on him.  It was such a weasley move.  I knew of Flutie's reputation for having a huge ego, and a chip on his shoulder, but I got to see it up close.  It was rediculous.  He sulked around like a child...after it was clear that the Bills were going to roll, and Johnson was having a great game, Flutie pretty much froze himself off from the rest of the team.  It was Christmas weekend, the Bills were heading to the playoffs...Bills fans had  taken over the Super Dome.  There were hundreds of fans crowding around the stands behind the Bills bench late in the game.  It was a happy bunch on the sideline.  Guys like Bruce, Thurman and Andre were interacting with the fans pretty freely, singing jerseys, programs...a lot of kids were holding out things for Flutie to sign...he would have none of it. Just stood there, back to everyone, looking pissed off.  At one point a jubiliant Bruce Smtih took a box of Flutie Flakes from a kid in the stands, and marched it down for Flutie to sign.  Bruce was playfully pushing him....trying to get him to lighten up some.  But Doug wasnt having it.  

To his credit, I have heard Flutie, in recent years, admit that he did sometimes put his ego over the team.  He even admitted he felt somewhat vindicated when the Rob Johnson led Bills lost to the Titans in that now infamous playoff game, a year later.  If you ever see a replay of the game, you can kind of see him smirking in the aftermath of the loss. Regardless of whether Johnson should, or should not have been starting in that game, Flutie was not a great teammate. I know he had a chip on his shoulder in general, about the way he was shunned by the NFL.  But guys with much better careers than Flutie, have handled being benched with much more grace.  No doubt, he had some great moments...but I just never really liked his personality. I rooted for him because he was the Bills QB, but never got the warm and fuzzies for him.

Edited by Buftex
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Clark Rotary said:

Yes good question on OJ, the overall lack of OJ on this site is interesting, seems like we'll talk about anything BUT OJ.   

I'm guessing it is because a large percentage of the folks here are too young to have seen him play. They likely know him more for his post career antics.  As somebody who came of age as a Bills fan very much during the OJ era, it saddens me a bit that his greatness as a football player has really been downplayed so much by the NFL.  I totally understand why, but it kills the Bills fan in me.  I still think he is one of the top 5 running backs in my lifetime....and right up there was Bruce Smith as one of the two best players in franchise history. 

Now, when they talk about he all-time greats, he is an afterthought.  When NFL Network did their all-tme coutndown, he ranked fairly high (can't remember where now) but only got cursary mention by the analysts.  Like they want everyone to forget him.  It really is kind of a scar for a lot of us older fans.

Edited by Buftex

29 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

He was actually the highest drafted player in Gailey's first WR lineup.    The ONLY one actually.    Jones and Nelson were UDFA's.

As I said........Gailey made him........he gave him freedoms that really don't otherwise exist in the NFL......because the offense was SO untalented.

It was backyard football and he and Fitz put up some bulk numbers........but, I suppose predictably,  it wasn't really effective.........in 2012 he finished 18th in receiving yards but only 160th in catch % in an offense that wasn't exactly pushing it downfield and making high risk throws.

In his three 1,000 yard seasons his catch % never got out of the 50's.

He wasn't terribly interested in physical training either.........and at the end of his very brief run of success with Gailey he was constantly nagged with soft tissue injuries and that was pretty much it.   Pfft.

I know SJ was a hero to the "lost generation" of Bills fans.    Young people who knew only losing and had no real understanding of what to expect of a winning franchise and had come to accept some pretty low standards.    I blame the Bills organization for that.   

All due respect BADOL, but as they say; you are entitled to your opinion, but not your own facts.  The FACTS are that Stevie was a 7th round pick in 2008, the same draft that Buffalo selected James Hardy in round 2.  Stevie proved to be the superior player and made that higher pick of Hardy a distant bad memory.  David Nelson and Donald Wilson came on undrafted in 2010, Gailey's first season, but were not really factors until 2011.  2010 is the year that SJ really made his bones in this league.  You are omitting from your memory the other 2 primary receivers on the Bills in 2010, Lee Evans (1st Round Selection) and Roscoe Parrish (2nd Round Selection).  Johnson's emergence in 2010 was no small factor in Evans eventually becoming expendable.  

And I think that maybe you have the Gailey/Johnson dynamic backwards.  You say that SJ owes his success to Gailey.  Perhaps it is Gailey, who was off to a 0-8 start when he offered these unheard of "freedoms" to a young receiver, that owes some of his success to Stevie.  In so doing, the offense came alive and finished out the season splitting the final 8 games, allowing Chan to stick around for two more seasons.

I guess it all depends upon what lenses you choose to peer through.  You refer to a lost generation of young Bills fans with low standards.  Seriously, WTF is that crap? I have been going to games since they were played at War Memorial.  I've seen it all, on and off the field and I'll guarantee that you know precious little about my "standards" or expectations.  I know good football players when I see them.  I know good fans when I see them and hear them.  And neither can be pigeon holed into some pre-conceived notion that you may have about generations, work ethics, etc....  Young fans and old are individuals, not the monolith that you seem to be pointing to.  Same with players...  They come in all shapes, sizes and from all cultures.  They are individuals playing a team game.  Stevie was both.  I celebrate him.  

And most importantly, as an official old fool, I raise a toast to that young lost generation that seems to perplex you.  Take a closer look and open your eyes.  They sat through that crap, sans the good memories from the glory years and are still here to revel in the return of the good times.  That is a fan.  Cheers!  

Besides...  How in the hell do you resent a player that pretended to fire a musket at the Patriot mascot.  That is pure gold.  If that team had more players with that level of passion, that decade would have been so much more enjoyable and memorable.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Success said:

It's genuinely hard to think of anyone.  Something happens when a player puts on the uni.  I wouldn't say I swoon, because that sounds weird, but similar.  I couldn't stand Beasley as a Cowboy, now he is one of my favorite Bills and NFL players of all time.

Gotta say - Gilmore is a guy I had a hard time warming up to.  He had a nothing reaction when he was drafted, and never seemed happy when he was here.  He also took plays off during his last season.  

And, of course, he clearly seems to love playing for the Patriots. So, my gut feeling on him was correct.

Totally agree with you about Gilmore.  Compare his draft day reaction video to Josh's...

Edited by Peace Frog
  • Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Philly McButterpants said:

The guy didn't draft himself.  He may have been a POS, but this is a stupid reason.

I wasn't aware I needed a good reason to dislike a player. My bad, thanks for setting me straight.

Episode 1 Reaction GIF by The Office

4 hours ago, Rigotz said:

Unprofessional and quit on the team? Both of those guys were all business.

They were great and we didn't want to pay them, so they left. 

Not re-signing Jairus Byrd to a big contract was a great decision.

Not signing Stephon Gilmore to be the highest paid CB in the league was not a terrible decision either.

You can't compare them to guys like Dareus who took the money and ran or McGahee who said all Buffalo women are ugly.

I'm with you until you get to the contract part.   I thought they both played hard, did their jobs.  They seemed to be good teammates.

Not signing them was a good decision in both cases.   Byrd wanted too much money; Gilmore wasn't the right fit.  McDermott's defense isn't predicated on having a shut-down corner; it's predicated on having a scheme corner, a guy with the high-end physical ability who understands the scheme well.  White is a better scheme corner than Gilmore can cover the elite receiver better than White, but unlike Gilmore, you almost never see White looking around as if to say "I thought YOU had that guy."  Gilmore gets beat by misplaying the defensive scheme; White doesn't.  McDermott wasn't going to pay premium dollars to get a corner who doesn't play the scheme.  

Any player that I believe embellishes an injury or other circumstance/condition to try to force the franchise's hand. Players who try to hold the organizations feet to the fire with something unscrupulous should be ejected into the bottom of an outhouse. 

• Like (+1) 1

I know he is idolized in Buffalo, but Jim Kelly pushes close to the top of my list. I know too many people with too many stories of him personally treating them like crap. He’s been a long time A-hole to people in this town while they are just saying high, asking for autographs, etc. 

Jairus Byrd, that whole fake hold out with the plantar fasciitis.

Trent Edwards. I was never a huge fan of the QB, but when he said “I am not a Bills fan, I am an NFL QB” (paraphrasing), I couldn’t respect him anymore.  

I have hated coaches way more than players in Buffalo. A huge part of a coaches job (maybe their main job) is getting effort and buy in from the roster. I hated Dave Wannstedt and George Edwards so much. Those guys couldn’t get anything out of a defense with a good amount of talent. Also, Doug Marrone always came across like a total arse hat. Never seemed like a likable dude. 

Hated Russ Brandon the GM. Liked Russ Brandon the executive. 

• Like (+1) 1

Maybin, Benjamin, Mario Williams after it was clear that he was mailing it in. 

I can tolerate a bad player if they are trying and have a good attitude, but as soon as it is clear that they are mailing it in and do not want to be there, that is when I feel that the sooner they are gone the better.