Report: Former NFL player Phillip Adams kills 5 in South Carolina, then himself

wppete

9 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

We aren't judging this guy, we know he is a murderer....that's factual.  He murdered 5 people including children so yes, we can condemn him because we are allowed free thinking.

I offered my view, you offered yours.  I stand by my statement that none of us should condemn any man, but that does not mean I sympathize with him either.

22 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Everyone is...usually they don't go around killing people because on some level they take responsibility for much of it themselves.  These people blame the world and bear no responsibility.

I mean, you have people who are totally broken with the world, listening to voices, psychotic, who are doing the "right thing" within their world as they commit murder.  The example that comes to mind would be Andrea Yates, who had postpartum psychosis when she killed her five children and is said to have believed they "weren't developing properly" and she was acting from mercy in sending them to Jesus. 

I have empathy for Yates even while recognizing she did a horrible thing.  She had been under medical treatment, and her husband had arranged for someone to be with her - just not continually.  Now medicated and "normal", she has to live in jail with the horrible, unforgivable tragic thing she did for the rest of her life.

Maybe it will come out there was something similar going on here, cries for help that went unheeded or medical treatment that was unavailable/unaffordable, I don't know.  Our country does NOT do a good job handling or treating mental illness.  Every medical intern I knew was shell-shocked by their psychiatry clerkships.

I also think cases where someone is truly mentally in a psychotic-like state where they can't see the world as the rest of us do vs where they are making conscious choices to commit evil acts, are rare.  But of course we don't have the facts yet, and I respect those who make the point that there's a lot we don't know about TBE and CTE.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

And now the family has given permission to study his brain for CTE. 

My question being....isn't his brain....compromised now? Not being gross but....he shot himself in the head. 

Yeah, that's a grim but good question

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31223923/brain-phillip-adams-former-nfl-player-killed-five-examined-cte

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 4/8/2021 at 11:10 AM, SCBills said:

The vast, vast majority of gun violence in this country happens where existing laws, and new laws, won't prevent them... and i'm not some NRA guy - I don't even own a gun, but that's facts... To get to the root of what's going on in this country, we need to be able to have discussions deeper than virtue signal gun laws and calling people evil.  

This situation is tragic, as they all are, and the act of killing 5 people, including 2 kids, is pure evil... but we won't ever solve the gun violence epidemic if we just label guns bad, people evil, and move on to the next massacre. 

Yep.