Report: Former NFL player Phillip Adams kills 5 in South Carolina, then himself

wppete

1 hour ago, wppete said:

Report: Former NFL player Phillip Adams kills 5 in South Carolina, then himself

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31214902/report-former-nfl-player-phillip-adams-kills-5-himself

IMQDVUEYANF5RH7SG6QUZRQL3I.jpg

Played for San Francisco and the Raiders. Went to South Carolina University. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/AdamPh00.htm

Oh, sweet Lord Jesus save us.  What a horrible, horrible thing.

1 hour ago, MJS said:

Killed a 9 year old and a 5 year old, among others. Hope he likes it hot, because I hear it is hot where he is going.

1 hour ago, H2o said:

Trust me, he's feelin' it right now. 

I hope you're right

1 hour ago, MJS said:

People suffer all the time and manage not to go on a murder spree.

This

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

He must have been suffering a great deal

I am both the perpetrator and the victim.

I try to find sympathy for everyone, even murderers. But when children are the victims I'm comfortable saying he is a monster and leaving it at that. There is nothing, no possible rationale, to excuse what he did. Stories like this make me sick.

• Like (+1) 4

6 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I try to find sympathy for everyone, even murderers. But when children are the victims I'm comfortable saying he is a monster and leaving it at that. There is nothing, no possible rationale, to excuse what he did. Stories like this make me sick.

I’m not excusing anything... what happened is tragic and disgusting. 

What if the cause of his rampage was a degenerative brain disease that greatly influences your ability to think rationally, causes suicidal and destructive thoughts and heightens impulsive behavior? He’s just a monster and that’s it? 

If you look up the symptoms one of them is “uncontrollable aggression.”  

Edited by JGMcD2

2 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

What if the cause of his rampage was a degenerative brain disease that greatly influences your ability to think rationally, causes suicidal and destructive thoughts and heightens impulsive behavior? He’s just a monster and that’s it? 

64E01A18-FEF1-4FC7-B5C0-B9EEDB50E244.thumb.jpeg.aec0b0606cd9ee31178c895c82df2b87.jpeg

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

From a quick look at wikipedia, doesn't seem like he has a history of any concussions, though you never know what is reported or now. As a CB, you would think the risk of CTE would be less. He also didn't really ever play meaningful snaps in the NFL-- was a 7th round pick that bounced around on some PS's. 

Is it reasonable to believe he could have gotten concussions in the 22 years of his life prior to entering the NFL where he also played football at a high level? 

As a rookie late in the 2010 season, Adams suffered a severe ankle injury that required surgery that included several screws being inserted into the leg. He never played for the 49ers again, getting released just before the 2011 season began. Later, with the Raiders, he had 2 concussions over 3 games in 2012.

2 hours ago, dneveu said:

all retired players to receive free or low-cost screenings, preventive care, mental health services and orthopedic care at a new national network of top hospitals created by the owners and the union

Not true in his case...

Whether he suffered long-lasting concussion-related injuries wasn't immediately clear. Adams would not have been eligible for testing as part of a broad settlement between the league and its former players over such injuries, because he hadn't retired by 2014.

Edited by JGMcD2

20 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

Is it reasonable to believe he could have gotten concussions in the 22 years of his life prior to entering the NFL where he also played football at a high level? 

As a rookie late in the 2010 season, Adams suffered a severe ankle injury that required surgery that included several screws being inserted into the leg. He never played for the 49ers again, getting released just before the 2011 season began. Later, with the Raiders, he had 2 concussions over 3 games in 2012.

Not true in his case...

Whether he suffered long-lasting concussion-related injuries wasn't immediately clear. Adams would not have been eligible for testing as part of a broad settlement between the league and its former players over such injuries, because he hadn't retired by 2014.

I mean I'm not sure of his financial standing but they even offer wellness programs to non-vested players.  Help was absolutely available to him.  

9 minutes ago, dneveu said:

I mean I'm not sure of his financial standing but they even offer wellness programs to non-vested players.  Help was absolutely available to him.  

The wellness program exists to get them in touch with medical professionals... it doesn't actually get them help nor does it magically save them if they do indeed get help.

Edited by JGMcD2

36 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

I didn't see that he had those two concussions with the Raiders.  I am not ruling out CTE. It just seems to affect certain positions more than others-- less likely to be a CB who didn't really play much.  Your classic CTE players are o and d-linemen, who are smashing their heads into each other for years.  Again, not saying he didn't have it or CB's don't get it-- just seems less likely. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Bangarang said:

He deserves to rot in the hottest part of hell.

4 hours ago, MJS said:

Killed a 9 year old and a 5 year old, among others. Hope he likes it hot, because I hear it is hot where he is going.

4 hours ago, H2o said:

Trust me, he's feelin' it right now. 

4 hours ago, MiltonWaddams said:

Killing anyone is terrible. Killing children? You can die a million fiery deaths.  Piece of crap.

You guys think he was suffering, just a little bit, from mental illness?

You think he killed children, and himself, because he's a "piece of crap"?

Your responses here show zero intelligence, zero compassion, and are consistent with a 13 year old's level of thinking.

Congratulations.

Edited by Nextmanup
  • Vomit 2
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

You guys think he was suffering, just a little bit, from mental illness?

You think he killed children, and himself, because he's a "piece of crap." 

Your responses here show zero intelligence, zero compassion, and are consistent with a 13 year old's level of thinking.

Congratulations.

I wouldn't think he was a POS if he just killed himself.  But he didn't, he killed innocent children. 

You can have compassion for a murderer, I won't.  I have compassion for the innocent and their families.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

From a quick look at wikipedia, doesn't seem like he has a history of any concussions, though you never know what is reported or now. As a CB, you would think the risk of CTE would be less. He also didn't really ever play meaningful snaps in the NFL-- was a 7th round pick that bounced around on some PS's. 

I'm just going to point out that cornerback has the highest percentage of concussions in the NFL

It is a very fast and dangerous position and nobody ever realizes there's a lot of head trauma involved

I suffered a lot playing corner

4 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I'm just going to point out that cornerback has the highest percentage of concussions in the NFL

It is a very fast and dangerous position and nobody ever realizes there's a lot of head trauma involved

I suffered a lot playing corner

I will say that I stand corrected in part. I didn’t realize it, but you are right that speed positions like CB, WR, and LB tend to have the highest concussions. 

but this study (summarized in the article below) shows that the types of concussions are much different between speed and non-speed players, such that the concussions that linemen get are much more likely to lead to CTE.

https://www.inverse.com/article/37934-nfl-funded-study-brain-injury