Report: Former NFL player Phillip Adams kills 5 in South Carolina, then himself

wppete

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

What about Ted Bundy? Should we have sympathy for him? Adolph Hitler? Stalin? Pablo Escobar?

Are we supposed to talk about how hard it must have been for these guys because surely they all had mental illness that led to their murders?

Mental illness is not an excuse for murder or genocide. Millions of people live with those same illnesses without managing to kill a bunch of people.

No but understanding the illness sometimes helps find something that will help cure or alleviate it for someone else. I have depression and medicated for it thankfully. 

The more I reading the reports of the incident, this man is pure Evil. Killed a 9 and a 5 year old. Disgusting, sick to

my stomach. We have seen so much disgusting behavior from NFL athletes this year alone but this is on another level... enough is enough. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, MJS said:

What about Ted Bundy? Should we have sympathy for him? Adolph Hitler? Stalin? Pablo Escobar?

Are we supposed to talk about how hard it must have been for these guys because surely they all had mental illness that led to their murders?

Mental illness is not an excuse for murder or genocide. Millions of people live with those same illnesses without managing to kill a bunch of people.

Absolutely. Mental illness or not. I don’t care. No excuses for this!! I’m sick of that excuse being used constantly. 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

No but understanding the illness sometimes helps find something that will help cure or alleviate it for someone else. I have depression and medicated for it thankfully. 

I'm sorry you go through depression, my ex did and I know how bad it can be.

There are and have been research on mental illness/depression.  I'm sure they will keep enhancing the medication.

However, everyone has a right to be angry over this, mental illness or not.  Innocent people should not lose their lives, children especially, because of it.  

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

Apparently the man he killed was a doctor that treated him. I hate to speculate but this seems like CTE. 

This is so sad. Those innocent people. 

It’s equally as sad how so many players end up in shambles. 

From a quick look at wikipedia, doesn't seem like he has a history of any concussions, though you never know what is reported or now. As a CB, you would think the risk of CTE would be less. He also didn't really ever play meaningful snaps in the NFL-- was a 7th round pick that bounced around on some PS's. 

Just now, Brennan Huff said:

Mental illness or not, ***** him

exactly. to kill a guy's grandkids...he's a special sort of #######.  a lot of us have mental illness in our families.  hell, a few months ago my cousin had to call the cops on himself because he attacked my uncle during an episode.  it's hard, but what this guy did was just from his evil nature.  ***** him right in his ear hole.

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, MJS said:

The catch all disease. Again, thousands of former players live with significant effects from CTE without going on a murder spree.

Yes, pain and mental illness are hard. For sure. But nobody should get a pass for murdering others regardless of what they were going through.

I’m not giving anyone a pass? All I said was it seemed like it could be CTE and then said it was a tragedy... 

This is a poor response from you man... 

Do you understand how CTE works and what it does to your brain and ability to behave and think rationally? It doesn’t have the same effect on everyone. 

1 minute ago, Process said:

I can't believe CTE is even being discussed.

Ok. When they come out and say he had significant CTE then we can discuss it. That’s probably fair. 

Edited by JGMcD2
  • Dislike 3

Just now, Maynard said:

Absolutely. Mental illness or not. I don’t care. No excuses for this!! I’m sick of that excuse being used constantly. 

We don't really know the motive, but I'll say its hard (nigh impossible) to have any sympathy for a murderer.  Undiagnosed mental illness is a huge problem in the world, and far too complex an issue to discuss on a message board.  

I see no reason to bring his NFL career into it, nor do i believe it was the main contributing factor.  

all retired players to receive free or low-cost screenings, preventive care, mental health services and orthopedic care at a new national network of top hospitals created by the owners and the union

24 minutes ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

Do as you like

I know I'm capable of lashing out when I'm in pain, too.

Everyone is...usually they don't go around killing people because on some level they take responsibility for much of it themselves.  These people blame the world and bear no responsibility.

• Like (+1) 1

Scum of the earth. 

The vast, vast majority of gun violence in this country happens where existing laws, and new laws, won't prevent them... and i'm not some NRA guy - I don't even own a gun, but that's facts... To get to the root of what's going on in this country, we need to be able to have discussions deeper than virtue signal gun laws and calling people evil.  

This situation is tragic, as they all are, and the act of killing 5 people, including 2 kids, is pure evil... but we won't ever solve the gun violence epidemic if we just label guns bad, people evil, and move on to the next massacre. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, MJS said:

People suffer all the time and manage not to go on a murder spree.

This seems to be a too common occurrence with CTE. We can crap on the guy for doing something horrible all we want (and it's warranted) but there is a much deeper problem here that we should probably consider.

Chris Benoit, Aaron Hernandez, Junior Seau, Tyler Hilinski, etc. It's clearly an issue. Why would anyone discount this?

Edited by Boxcar
  • Disagree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

45 minutes ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

Do as you like

I know I'm capable of lashing out when I'm in pain, too.

There’s a difference between seeing the humanity of all angles and trying to excuse actions. 

If you have concerns that you’re capable of lashing out to this extent you need to seek help. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

58 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

From a quick look at wikipedia, doesn't seem like he has a history of any concussions, though you never know what is reported or now. As a CB, you would think the risk of CTE would be less. He also didn't really ever play meaningful snaps in the NFL-- was a 7th round pick that bounced around on some PS's. 

It's all speculation now but he did play a lot of STs, and that will tend to get you some head trauma.

• Agree 1