Big Nickel

Been thinking today, McD could really use a toy for a big nickel hybrid kinda guy. Last year it was Chinn and Dugger. Anybody like that coming out this year? I feel like it was this time last year that the Dugger name was starting to pop up around our team. Anybody got anything?

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I always hear this but who comes off the field? 

Taron johnson 

And that's why it's a sub package because it's never going to see the field more than 20% of the snaps 

With nickel basically being our base, and johnson being so valuable

Edited by Buffalo716

8 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Taron johnson 

And that's why it's a sub package because it's never going to see the field more than 20% of the snaps 

You need a unique player. I think they would love to draft a hybrid S/LB player but it really takes a unique player. 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

You need a unique player. I think they would love to draft a hybrid S/LB player but it really takes a unique player. 

Yeah if you have Charles woodson you would be in a great spot 

But most players are not built for every part of that role, it takes like three players to cover it

You need to be able to cover slot wide receivers, be tough in run support, blitz off the edge, play a hook zone, have great play awareness .. it's relegated to a sub package because you need a All pro talent player, to handle all the roles

Even having Kyle Duggar here he wouldn't see more than 20% of the snaps, cuz he can't cover well, let alone slot receivers 

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I always hear this but who comes off the field? 

Honestly i dont know, but mcd must have had plans on what to do with one last year. Maybe Edmunds in certain scenarios. I dont think hes trash, but i think hes mildly above average. Might look better more situationally

4 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

What's up?

U up?

2 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Honestly i dont know, but mcd must have had plans on what to do with one last year. Maybe Edmunds in certain scenarios. I dont think hes trash, but i think hes mildly above average. Might look better more situationally

It's only a big nickel if you're replacing a slot corner with another safety/hybrid 

The slot corner comes off the field

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

It's only a big nickel if you're replacing a slot corner with another safety/hybrid 

The slot corner comes off the field

I think part of the Bills interest in big nickle was Taron johnson was having injuries and Milano was a UFA in a year. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I think part of the Bills interest in big nickle was Taron johnson was having injuries and Milano was a UFA in a year. 

I mean it's never bad to upgrade your team. But it will never replace traditional Nickel in McDermott's defense which is taking 60% of the snaps

46 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Taron johnson 

I am not sure I agree with you on Taron's value. For the first half of last season he couldn't cover squat. He did round into some form later in the year but I think a Kyle Dugger type would have seen way more than 20% of the snaps last year. 

It is fundamentally the question though for the "big nickel" if you spend decent resource on the spot - and Kirby gave us good intel that if Dugger was there last year he would have been the pick - how much are you getting him on the field. 

To the OPs question a guy I like day 3 is Tariq Thompson out of San Diego State. Played safety in college but projects better as a dime backer in the NFL. He is a little bigger than Taron and a better hitter though also a little slower. At the spot you are picking him he would be much more of the 20% sub package type but he is an intriguing prospect. Just has a nose for the football.

6 minutes ago, syhuang said:

Marvin Wilson, FSU

I mean playing a 1 tech defensive tackle as a nickel would definitely classify him as a "big" nickel.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I am not sure I agree with you on Taron's value. For the first half of last season he couldn't cover squat. He did round into some form later in the year but I think a Kyle Dugger type would have seen way more than 20% of the snaps last year. 

It is fundamentally the question though for the "big nickel" if you spend decent resource on the spot - and Kirby gave us good intel that if Dugger was there last year he would have been the pick - how much are you getting him on the field. 

To the OPs question a guy I like day 3 is Tariq Thompson out of San Diego State. Played safety in college but projects better as a dime backer in the NFL. He is a little bigger than Taron and a better hitter though also a little slower. At the spot you are picking him he would be much more of the 20% sub package type but he is an intriguing prospect. Just has a nose for the football.

Taron started slow, but his tape has been very good since his rookie season, and when he's hurt our defense suffers as a whole

As coach McDermott says, it takes three players to replace him.. playing slot corner is one of the toughest jobs in the NFL 

And if you think Johnson couldn't cover squat... I'd hate for you to see Duggar in the slot 😆

Edited by Buffalo716

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

Taron started slow, but his tape has been very good since his rookie season, and when he's hurt our defense suffers as a whole

As coach McDermott says, it takes three players to replace him.. playing slot corner is one of the toughest jobs in the NFL

But I expect they will be drafting to replace him this year, because personally I'd be really surprised if they pay him after this season. 

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

But I expect they will be drafting to replace him this year, because personally I'd be really surprised if they pay him after this season. 

He's probably as good as gone

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Dane jackson and cam lewis possible understudies on roster

• Agree 2

8 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Been thinking today, McD could really use a toy for a big nickel hybrid kinda guy. Last year it was Chinn and Dugger. Anybody like that coming out this year? I feel like it was this time last year that the Dugger name was starting to pop up around our team. Anybody got anything?

This from TBN in March. 

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/florida-state-dbs-show-skills-for-bills-nfl-scouts-at-pro-day/article_0e9e651c-8b4f-11eb-9514-e7f8cc99065f.html#:~:text=However%2C Nasirildeen did not run the 40 due,had vertical jumps of more than 40 inches.

Hamsah Nasirildeen FSU.  Hybrid S/LB. 

Edited by freddyjj
spelling
  • Like (+1) 3