Cool article on Jon Feliciano and his return from injury

https://www.muscleandfitness.com/athletes-celebrities/winning-strategy-jon-feliciano-kept-pounding-after-tearing-pec/

Some key points:

-during the early weeks of the season, he was struggling to pick up a 10 lb weight:

It took about six weeks before I was able to pick up a dumbbell. We started with a 10 pounds on my bad pec, and 90 with the other. That went on for about two weeks. About eight weeks then I started doing like six, 50 pounds, 60 pounds. But honestly, I didn’t feel very strong the whole season.

-once he returned, he still was far from 100%: "I didn’t feel healthy at all till now. I’m still. Like until the till now I’m still doing rehab for my circumstance"

Now totally healthy he says, his off-season goal is to strengthen his upper body back to pre-injury levels. Feliciano says this requires an off-season regimen of high reps on the bench press in order to regain his range of motion. His workouts have also included plenty of offensive line work, including lots of ladder drills for developing foot work, along with a heavy dose of heavy bag pounding.

-He wants you to know that OLmen are athletes, too:

I’m 6’4” and weigh over 300 pounds. As an offensive lineman, people think we’re just fat and don’t have any athleticism. We have to be athletic, because we’re going up against the best athletes on the field — guys who are 6’6’’, 290, even 315 pounds who can run a 4.4. We have to block them on every play.

Put it this way: If you’re on defense and you get a sack every game, that’s a pretty good year. If you give up 16 sacks, you’re out of the league very soon.

Guys don’t think I can move the way I can. I’m really good at basketball — I was a basketball player first in high school — and I think that helps my athletic ability a lot. At Bills camp, we do a lot of obstacle course moves, and guys are really shocked at the way I move. We even have dodge ball games, and I can dodge the hell out of dodge ball.

-He does Yoga:

In football, just learn to keep your flexibility — I do a lot of yoga to keep my body loose — and just practice everything on both sides. It will help.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I had suspected he wasn't near 100% this year.  I believe I heard that they purposefully put him in a position where he wouldn't have to punch with his bad arm/pec side, but I don't know if that even makes sense.  He also went down a handful of times holding his knee late in the season and postseason as I recall.  Not saying that a healthy Mongo keeps Chris Jones out of our backfield or jumpstarts the running game but its a start.  I have to believe that Beane/Daboll/McDermott thinks a healthy Mongo and healthy Ford can get the run game going and keep the Chiefs pass rush out of Allen's face.

• Like (+1) 1

I think this all plays into the Bills decision.  He was never even close to 100% and you could tell even when they moved him to center - he struggled to pick up guys on his injured side.

If you think about what the expected starting line-up was: Dawkins, Spain, Morse, Mongo, Williams and the fact that those 5 guys never played 1 snap together.  

Then you add in that Ford was #3 guard, Winter (late add) was #4, and Ike was the #5 guard to start the season - the Bills spent a large portion of the late season and playoffs with a #4/5 guard next to Dawkins and a less than 100% Mongo next to Williams - not surprising they had some struggles.

• Agree 2

Players who are hurt/injured are in a tough spot.  It's a risk to their careers to not be on the field at every chance and it's a risk to their careers to play poorly when they are out there.  Get back on the field too soom and struggle and the entire NFL world will see it.  I remember Andre Reed playing out his contract hoping for one last payday (probably for a Florida team) and he got a severe hamstring injury, missed some games and played poorly when he came back.  He ended up re-signing with the Bills on a cheaper deal.   From the linked story, it sounds like the play that injured him was a horse collar tackle.

Andre Reed Injury  

Health-willing, It will be good having him healthy going into the season, along with Ford, having Ford concentrating solely on LG, and the starting OL being set and able to work on jelling.

Thank you for posting. It sounds like he was never fully healthy last year. I hope this offseason gives him a chance to return at 100%. The Bills O-line needs to get better and Feliciano may well be the key to this happening. They play nastier when he is in there.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

I think this all plays into the Bills decision.  He was never even close to 100% and you could tell even when they moved him to center - he struggled to pick up guys on his injured side.

If you think about what the expected starting line-up was: Dawkins, Spain, Morse, Mongo, Williams and the fact that those 5 guys never played 1 snap together.  

Then you add in that Ford was #3 guard, Winter (late add) was #4, and Ike was the #5 guard to start the season - the Bills spent a large portion of the late season and playoffs with a #4/5 guard next to Dawkins and a less than 100% Mongo next to Williams - not surprising they had some struggles.

I’ve stated similar things in threads this past and  post season, as being the reason for our O line issues, and yet there are still folk that want to cut trade or just get rid of a big chunk of our O line, makes me wonder if they pay any attention to what is actually going on with the team, on the bright side it makes it easy to discount what they say... 

• Like (+1) 1