Vikings CB Jeff Gladney arrested in Dallas after alleged assault on girlfriend

wppete

On 4/7/2021 at 11:48 PM, Jauronimo said:

It doesn't make headlines when Joe Blow the claims adjuster gets popped for soliciting prostitution or Bill in accounting beats his old lady.

image.thumb.png.46120122bce44857662fb6e3ecd466fe.png

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-rate-of-domestic-violence-arrests-among-nfl-players/#:~:text=That 55.4 percent is more,our estimated 21 percent nationally.

While rates of DV in the NFL is significantly lower than the national average, it is higher than expected according to 538.  Although I do question comparing a population who can make "rich people money" for an average of 3 to 5 years with crime rates among other wealthy Americans as like populations. Commence your pontification of poverty, gang influence, rap music and violent video games and how its leading NFL players to commit crimes, including DV, at lower rates than the rest of society.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-nfl-arrests-study/arrests-in-u-s-general-population-higher-than-for-nfl-players-study-idUSKCN0QU2EL20150825

I appreciate the data.  It justifies the shot-across-the-bows towards those of us who feel the family lives and communities a lot of these guys grew up with do have an influence on what they do after they receive those 3-5 years of big checks.

OTOH, I think it does have to be pointed out that at least for the guys with "name recognition", athletes (and maybe coaches) associated with the NFL may have a lower arrest rate in part because of the fame involved with the NFL. 

"I'm Ko Simpson and I'm Worth Millions" does actually influence whether or not they get arrested sometimes

So one would have to take that into account somehow.  For an anecdotal example, the Kansas State Senate Majority Leader got arrested and charged with DUI, while Britt Reid is still going about his daily life free as a bird.

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I appreciate the data and it justifies the shot-across-the-bows towards those of us who feel the family lives and communities a lot of these guys grew up with do have an influence on what they do with those big checks.

OTOH, I think it does have to be pointed out that at least for the guys with "name recognition", athletes (and maybe coaches) associated with the NFL may have a lower arrest rate in part because of the fame involved with the NFL.  "I'm Ko Simpson and I'm Worth Millions" does actually influence whether or not they get arrested, so one would have to take that into account somehow.  For an anecdotal example, the Kansas State Senate Majority Leader got arrested and charged with DUI, while Britt Reid is still going about his daily life free as a bird.

Its a shot across the bow for those pontificating about gang life, broken families, drugs, and crippling poverty because these are explanations for why NFL players are committing crimes at higher rates than other Americans.  They believe this to be the case because of the preponderance of stories in the news where a player who was at one time associated with the NFL gets arrested.  Conflate these events with some players stories about overcoming long-odds and sports as a vehicle out of a life of drugs and crime and you have a nice little narrative. 

Turns out this narrative doesn't hold a lot of water and is not supported by the available statistics.  Certain undertones in the perpetuation of this narrative, whether it be the sympathy angle or the hoodlum angle, are also interesting.

Things that don't make the news.  NFL player overcomes middle class rural existence to play professional ball.  NFL player invests conservatively and stays out of trouble.  Average Joe arrested for DWI.  Joe Six Pack arrested for domestic incident.  

• Like (+1) 1