Vikings CB Jeff Gladney arrested in Dallas after alleged assault on girlfriend

wppete

It’s been an incredible off season of NFL players being arrested on major crimes this off-season. Another on Viking Jeff Gladney. Chilling description of this assault in the article. Why are these crimes being committed by NFL players? 

The NFl really has to address these issues now and really turn this around because this criminality is giving football a very bad reputation and I feel at some point people will just tune out. I really hope this changes. 

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/minnesota-vikings-cornerback-jeff-gladney-arrested-alleged-assault-girlfriend-231127240.html

18 minutes ago, wppete said:

It’s been an incredible off season of NFL players being arrested on major crimes this off-season. Another on Viking Jeff Gladney. Chilling description of this assault in the article. Why are these crimes being committed by NFL players? 

The NFl really has to address these issues now and really turn this around because this criminality is giving football a very bad reputation and I feel at some point people will just tune out. I really hope this changes. 

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/minnesota-vikings-cornerback-jeff-gladney-arrested-alleged-assault-girlfriend-231127240.html

terrible offense no doubt.

has it actually been a worse offseason than normal? I haven’t followed closely but with nearly 3k guys either signed or around the fringe of rosters (entering draft, recently unemployed etc...) it makes sense you’ll see some arrests and some vile ones mixed in there.

20 minutes ago, wppete said:

And awful lot of Football players over the last many many decades that are not what one would call pillars of society..., there is a long long history of some players being low life swine in their non football playing spare time, fans don’t want to here it, but it’s true, these are violent people, who get paid to be violent for a living, and a certain percentage appear to have little self control off the field. I’m not saying ALL, I am saying far to many. 

15 minutes ago, Beast said:

Make sure they slap that girls name on the back of their helmets.

giphy.gif

27 minutes ago, wppete said:

Why are these crimes being committed by NFL players? 

I don't really know about this situation, but in a lot of these NFL players we see some combination of the following:

- poor family life growing up, potentially lower economic level

- They're seen as gods throughout highschool and college 

- They're given an obscene amount of money at a relatively young age

- They rarely have good role models that go back far into their history

Obviously, this doesn't excuse any of the behavior, and I am far from one who says "its all about what happened to them" and "every perpetrator is a victim first" but by and large, unless you have someone helping you learn right from wrong, it's hard to grasp on your own... Especially with a bunch of negative influences like money and fame. 

And then another element is that they're just people... People do ***** like this all the time. If you live in a relatively dense area of population, you can probably draw a mile circle around your house and find a situation like this every week or so. The difference is that random dude in the ghetto, or random dude in the trailer park doesn't make the news when he tunes up his lady. We idolize these kids cause of what they can do athletically and then we're surprised or shocked when some of them turn out to be bad people, or to have different opinions than us. It's just people at the end of the day. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Sad story, but you will never end this in Pro Sports or life. I don't condone it, I have a daughter and obviously I wouldn't want her done this way in the slightest. 

They are given employment based off athletic ability, not critical thinking skills. 

I won't make excuses for the guy, if it's proven he should be excused from the league. That's the only recourse, show you won't tolerate it regardless of talent and it will stop some from acting this way, but not all.

3 hours ago, wppete said:

Oh Jesus this sounds really bad:

Gladney and the woman then reportedly returned to the apartment complex, and he “began strangling [her] by the neck, which impeded her breathing for approximately five seconds,” and “grabbed [her] by her hair while the vehicle was still moving and dragged [her] across the ground.”

Per a number of domestic violence experts, strangulation is a huge "red flag" and someone who has strangled their partner is 7x more likely to kill them.

I hope that woman gets help and leaves him, permanently.

Also in Texas law:

In 2009, the Texas Legislature passed a law making Family violence strangulation or suffocation a felony punishable by two to 10 years for the first offense and two to 20 years for subsequent convictions.

As far as why crimes are being committed by NFL players, this is just my opinion.  But I think there are two factors:

1) a lot of these guys come from unstable communities where violence is part of their daily life - in their own families, in their friend's families, domestic violence, street violence, gang violence.  I'm told that domestic violence unfortunately runs in families, where kids who watch abuse in their parents' relationships go on to become abusive themselves unless they take positive steps to take a different path

2) football is a game of (barely) controlled violence where as Eric Wood once said, "you can do things on a football field that are severely illegal anywhere else".  but I think a lot of these guys probably use football to channel inner anger, and struggle with having that "switch" and making that transition from on-field behavior to off-field, especially during the off-season when the on-field outlet is gone.

• Like (+1) 1

It doesn't make headlines when Joe Blow the claims adjuster gets popped for soliciting prostitution or Bill in accounting beats his old lady.

image.thumb.png.46120122bce44857662fb6e3ecd466fe.png

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-rate-of-domestic-violence-arrests-among-nfl-players/#:~:text=That 55.4 percent is more,our estimated 21 percent nationally.

While rates of DV in the NFL is significantly lower than the national average, it is higher than expected according to 538.  Although I do question comparing a population who can make "rich people money" for an average of 3 to 5 years with crime rates among other wealthy Americans as like populations. Commence your pontification of poverty, gang influence, rap music and violent video games and how its leading NFL players to commit crimes, including DV, at lower rates than the rest of society.

Note that murder scores relatively high, but the raw numbers are extremely low (there are two in the database, though a third case — domestic in nature — resulted in suicide). But there are 83 domestic violence arrests, making it by far the NFL’s worst category — with a relative arrest rate of 55.4 percent.

Although this is still lower than the national average, it’s extremely high relative to expectations. That 55.4 percent is more than four times worse than the league’s arrest rate for all offenses (13 percent), and domestic violence accounts for 48 percent of arrests for violent crimes among NFL players, compared to our estimated 21 percent nationally.

Moreover, relative to the income level (top 1 percent) and poverty rate (0 percent) of NFL players, the domestic violence arrest rate is downright extraordinary. According to a 2002 Bureau of Justice Statistics Report covering 1993 to 1998, the domestic victimization rate for women in households with income greater than $75,000 (3.3 per 100,000) was about 39 percent of the overall rate (8.4 per 100,000), and less than 20 percent of the rate for women ages 20 to 34. That report doesn’t include cross-tabs, and it’s a little out of date (more current data is harder to find because more recent BJS reports on the issue do not include income breakdowns), but that sub-20 percent relative victimization among high-income households is consistent with the NFL’s 13 percent relative arrest rate overall (arrest disparities between income levels are probably even greater than victimization rates).

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-nfl-arrests-study/arrests-in-u-s-general-population-higher-than-for-nfl-players-study-idUSKCN0QU2EL20150825

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

6 hours ago, wppete said:

My advice is to check out the facts that others have posted here and then try adjusting your expectations. 

If the NFL loses some luke-warm, bandwagon fans over this false narrative, I don't think it'll matter much.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Per a number of domestic violence experts, strangulation is a huge "red flag" and someone who has strangled their partner is 7x more likely to kill them.

I hope that woman gets help and leaves him, permanently.

This is the really worrying aspect about this case. Given how much of an indicator this is for future violence, you also have to believe that this isn't the first time he's assaulted her (or someone else) because the strangulation aspect is incredibly 'intimate', for want of a better word. It seems unlikely that he would go straight to that, moreso that it's an escalation from prior incidents.

I hope she gets as far away from him as humanly possible but I don't hold out much hope that he's going to get anywhere near the punishment he deserves. She's not just taking on one man; she's taking on a man with a $5.5m signing bonus in his back pocket, along with an organisation willing to do anything to protect him because he plays a sport well and a fanbase that will happily excuse his behaviour (if not threaten her directly or indirectly) for having the temerity to want justice for being strangled.

12 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

And awful lot of Football players over the last many many decades that are not what one would call pillars of society..., there is a long long history of some players being low life swine in their non football playing spare time, fans don’t want to here it, but it’s true, these are violent people, who get paid to be violent for a living, and a certain percentage appear to have little self control off the field. I’m not saying ALL, I am saying far to many. 

Yup. You have to a real affinity for violence to succeed in the NFL, and as I’ve said for years and years, “if not for the NFL, jail” for a distressingly high percentage of players. To expect people to be rewarded for that level of extreme violence 20 Sundays a year plus lots of practices and then to be able to immediately turn it off is ignoring human nature.

2 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Yup. You have to a real affinity for violence to succeed in the NFL, and as I’ve said for years and years, “if not for the NFL, jail” for a distressingly high percentage of players. To expect people to be rewarded for that level of extreme violence 20 Sundays a year plus lots of practices and then to be able to immediately turn it off is ignoring human nature.

The thing is though, there are more players that do turn it off, than don’t, those that don’t are the low life women beater /criminal types in our society, they should get what they give as part of their punishment. 

18 minutes ago, MJS said:

The incidence of crime is actually lower for NFL players than the general population. We just hear about it more because they are famous.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2015/08/25/nfl-player-arrest-rate-study-crime-problem-news

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-nfl-arrests-study-idUSKCN0QU2EL20150825

The crime rate among NFL players is heavily affected by the fact that they have median salaries of $860,000 per year. Moreover, I am talking specifically about violent crime (and violent crime only; beat in mind that non-violent drug offenses make up a huge percentage of arrests): “Though NFL players had a higher arrest rate for violent crimes during six of the 14 years studied, ...” And this is despite the fact that they are far more financially secure than the general population. And wealthy NFL players aren’t doing stickups on the street.

Also:

“Note that murder scores relatively high, but the raw numbers are extremely low (there are two in the database, though a third case — domestic in nature — resulted in suicide). But there are 83 domestic violence arrests, making it by far the NFL’s worst category — with a relative arrest rate of 55.4 percent.

Although this is still lower than the national average, it’s extremely high relative to expectations. That 55.4 percent is more than four times worse than the league’s arrest rate for all offenses (13 percent), and domestic violence accounts for 48 percent of arrests for violent crimes among NFL players, compared to our estimated 21 percent nationally.

Moreover, relative to the income level (top 1 percent) and poverty rate (0 percent) of NFL players, the domestic violence arrest rate is downright extraordinary. According to a 2002 Bureau of Justice Statistics Reportcovering 1993 to 1998, the domestic victimization rate for women in households with income greater than $75,000 (3.3 per 100,000) was about 39 percent of the overall rate (8.4 per 100,000), and less than 20 percent of the rate for women ages 20 to 34. That report doesn’t include cross-tabs, and it’s a little out of date (more current data is harder to find because more recent BJS reports on the issue do not include income breakdowns), but that sub-20 percent relative victimization among high-income households is consistent with the NFL’s 13 percent relative arrest rate overall (arrest disparities between income levels are probably even greater than victimization rates).”

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-rate-of-domestic-violence-arrests-among-nfl-players/

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, whatdrought said:

giphy.gif

I don't really know about this situation, but in a lot of these NFL players we see some combination of the following:

- poor family life growing up, potentially lower economic level

- They're seen as gods throughout highschool and college 

- They're given an obscene amount of money at a relatively young age

- They rarely have good role models that go back far into their history

Obviously, this doesn't excuse any of the behavior, and I am far from one who says "its all about what happened to them" and "every perpetrator is a victim first" but by and large, unless you have someone helping you learn right from wrong, it's hard to grasp on your own... Especially with a bunch of negative influences like money and fame. 

And then another element is that they're just people... People do ***** like this all the time. If you live in a relatively dense area of population, you can probably draw a mile circle around your house and find a situation like this every week or so. The difference is that random dude in the ghetto, or random dude in the trailer park doesn't make the news when he tunes up his lady. We idolize these kids cause of what they can do athletically and then we're surprised or shocked when some of them turn out to be bad people, or to have different opinions than us. It's just people at the end of the day. 

So, not CTE.

phew..

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

The crime rate among NFL players is heavily affected by the fact that they have median salaries of $860,000 per year. Moreover, I am talking specifically about violent crime (and violent crime only; beat in mind that non-violent drug offenses make up a huge percentage of arrests): “Though NFL players had a higher arrest rate for violent crimes during six of the 14 years studied, ...” And this is despite the fact that they are far more financially secure than the general population. And wealthy NFL players aren’t doing stickups on the street.

Also:

“Note that murder scores relatively high, but the raw numbers are extremely low (there are two in the database, though a third case — domestic in nature — resulted in suicide). But there are 83 domestic violence arrests, making it by far the NFL’s worst category — with a relative arrest rate of 55.4 percent.

Moreover, relative to the income level (top 1 percent) and poverty rate (0 percent) of NFL players, the domestic violence arrest rate is downright extraordinary. According to a 2002 Bureau of Justice Statistics Reportcovering 1993 to 1998, the domestic victimization rate for women in households with income greater than $75,000 (3.3 per 100,000) was about 39 percent of the overall rate (8.4 per 100,000), and less than 20 percent of the rate for women ages 20 to 34. That report doesn’t include cross-tabs, and it’s a little out of date (more current data is harder to find because more recent BJS reports on the issue do not include income breakdowns), but that sub-20 percent relative victimization among high-income households is consistent with the NFL’s 13 percent relative arrest rate overall (arrest disparities between income levels are probably even greater than victimization rates).”

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-rate-of-domestic-violence-arrests-among-nfl-players/

Excellent points.  NFL players shouldn’t be compared to the average population. These guys all went to college and make 10-20 times what the average person makes. 
I really think most of these guy’s college coaches failed them.  These coaches like to sell that their ‘molders of young men’ but most of them could care less about these kids other than wins and losses.  Always gonna be bad apples out there but if they can play football, most coaches/schools look the other way or defend their poor sometimes criminal behavior.  

• Like (+1) 1

What a turd. Plenty of people have spoken on the possible reasoning behind criminal actions of NFL players and want to see the NFL do something about this kind of thing...they do try. 

Every year they hold the rookie symposium where there are a number of seminars to help the next wave of players transition to the NFL. They have plenty of former players with cautionary tales come and talk about a variety of different things; how to handle your money, how to handle people around you now that you have money, your role as a player in the community, how easy it can be to slip down a rabbit hole of idiocy by believing your own bullcrap and seeing yourself as above others, how to avoid getting roped into stupid situations, how to handle personal relationships, etc. They offer a lot of information and knowledge for these guys. The players paying attention in these seminars are likely already stand-up individuals with little to no character concerns. It's the guys that skip or sleep through these seminars that end up in the news for stuff like this. Morons.