State of the Bills Roster 3 weeks into FA

image.thumb.png.56c8f30442fa549c61314e74698ac2f4.png

What do you all make of this?  Thoughts?

Some of mine:

1) Remaining gaps.

Safety: The one guy I still see as a FA that I thought the Bills would like to re-sign or replace is Safety Dean Marlow

CB: I'm also a bit surprised they haven't added anyone to compete at CB.

DL: I guess I'm also surprised there haven't been more moves there. 

Perhaps this is a clue to the Bills draft direction, looking for DL or CB?

2) The number of OLmen who've been signed seems crazy to me.  I really hoped the Bills would draft a top C/G to develop, and the sheer number of OLmen now on the roster makes this seem unlikely to me.  Thoughts?

3) Corey Bojorquez is still a free agent.  Huh.  So much for leading the league in average punt distance.  Guess teams must be looking at a different overall picture when signing a punter.  Either that or he has an inflated sense of his own value that the market doesn't accept.

4) So are Kenny Stills (WR) and Darron Lee (LB)

• Like (+1) 4

It might currently be the 2nd best roster in football.  I’d give the Bucs the #1 overall.  I think we have more depth and less holes than the chiefs, but they have a huge edge in elite talent. 

• Like (+1) 1

With all the o line moves, it's no longer a position that needs to be addressed this draft. 

We signed some LB depth. 

I'm fine with Moss and Breida at RB. 

Only pressing needs are CB and pass rusher (rounds 1 and 2?). Grab a mid round TE or WR. 

We are in good shape.

• Like (+1) 4

1.  Agree with you at Safety.  I really thought/hoped they'd resign Marlowe.

2.  I thought they'd bring in a veteran corner as well.  Perhaps the price was too high.  I expect them to draft one since that is a deep position this year.

3.  I suspect DL positions were too pricy.   They know they're getting star back.  Edge is likely a target early in the draft.

4.  I think they will still draft OL this draft at some point, or bring in undrafted free agents.  They like their competition on the oline and they are bringing back all the starters from last year.

5.  With the depth at WR in this draft, teams are likely looking to get younger before they pick up a vet.  Darron Lee hasn't distinguished himself in the league.  Bojo had one good year.

I've said they're doing edge rusher early. Edge and CB are both high paid positions that tend to have disappointing results in free agency. Those are high value positions to draft because of the disparity in return if you 'hit' on a draft pick versus a free agent

• Agree 1

It is an all around solid roster. They don't have holes. They need to find a couple more difference makers. 

An on Bojo I can't say I am that surprised. He had his best season in 2020 but had he been a free agent a year ago nobody would have been surprised he was unsigned. I do think he ends up in a job somewhere but teams are not just going to ignore the adventures of dropped snaps, bad FG holding, line drive kicks that allow long returns and shanks at inopportune moments that was his career pre-2020.  

Beane has definitely put us in a position to do whatever he wants.

He can easily take the BPA without any glaring holes, and it looks like we could land someone worthwhile at Edge or CB.

With our core in tact and under contract he could move up and grab someone if he really covets them (not likely).

Or he could move back a few places and find a value pick(s). Depending on where Beane see's our needs and mostly how the draft unfolds.

I can't remember having this kind of flexibility in the draft in a long while. (ever?)

Go Bills!

'

1.  signing your own FAs is not only smart but super-smart when they take home-town discounts...expecting Josh to get his extension just before the season starts.

2. I really like the collection of FA vet depth at the bottom of the roster - depth, competition and value rather than relying on last year PS guys which exposed some roster weakness now addressed

3. so now the draft is about BPA - other than CB, edge, TE, where we need a push - but none of these positions have to be starters at least not right away.  Vets are in place this season to mentor the picks as well (Addison, Wallace, OL) other than TE I feel good, as I dont see good options beyond Knox should he get hurt and or a mid-round draft pick helping this season. 

Edited by First Round Bust

At this point I think Beane will be drafting for 2022 and 2023.  So if you want to guess where he'll go in the draft, look at which key players are likely to leave after 2021 and 2022. 

The roster looks solid all around.  He's accumulating excess O linemen as FAs whom he'll trade for draft picks to desperate teams during training camp.  (The only time this went wrong was when he traded away Wyatt Teller to Cleveland.)

Beane wants to build a dynasty.  He's not going all-in on any particular year.  He wants to be a consistent 11 or 12 game winner, year in and year out, which makes it easier to pop up to a championship one of those years. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Some of mine:

1) Remaining gaps.

Safety: The one guy I still see as a FA that I thought the Bills would like to re-sign or replace is Safety Dean Marlow

2) The number of OLmen who've been signed seems crazy to me.  I really hoped the Bills would draft a top C/G to develop, and the sheer number of OLmen now on the roster makes this seem unlikely to me.  Thoughts?

3) Corey Bojorquez is still a free agent.  Huh.  So much for leading the league in average punt distance.  Guess teams must be looking at a different overall picture when signing a punter.  Either that or he has an inflated sense of his own value that the market doesn't accept.

I think they'll try to find their big nickel (S) in the draft and add a CB.

• Like (+1) 1

Some of mine:

1) Remaining gaps.

Regarding # 2:

Obviously you can’t fill every hole and this year is especially tough with the Cap being what it is.

My guess is, Beane feels he can continue with a middle of the road line due to JA’s mobility and pocket awareness. Last year, Josh’s command of the pocket and seeming nonchalance in dealing with jail breaks by defenders has Beane feeling ok with this approach.

I think it is inarguably more important to shore up the D this offseason.

Some of mine:

1) Remaining gaps.

Thanks for this - totally love looking at the roster.

1st thing is that if training camp opened - we are ready - we have starters and depth set before the draft - nice feeling to have lots of options.

2nd thing - very surprised at number of LBs and OL signed and lack of DBs - especially as we run a lot of 4-2-5 - wonder if part of the bigger, faster, more physical is a bigger change to philosophy and the return of more traditional 4-3 looks?

3rd thing - I think I really like this roster heading into the draft - very similar to last year - I really like the added depth at QB and OL compared to guys like Winters we brought in late last year.  I think there is still room for talent that can knock some vets off, but it is also a roster ready to go if needed. 

I still think between now and training camp - we will see the draft and UDFAs, but I would expect 1-3 more signings of cut players or guys that are still free and some more chaff being separated from the wheat.  Some of these bottom of the roster guys (maybe even a veteran or two) might not make it to camp if they can get the right fit.

I just did a similar spreadsheet last night and then did a TDN mock draft where I traded around and got 5 guys between 40-120, added them to the roster and then did cuts. 

after I had my 53 it was very very hard to get to 48 or whatever for a game day. We are so deep at so many spots that good players are going to be sitting out games. 

2 hours ago, babulator said:

Beane has definitely put us in a position to do whatever he wants.

He can easily take the BPA without any glaring holes, and it looks like we could land someone worthwhile at Edge or CB.

With our core in tact and under contract he could move up and grab someone if he really covets them (not likely).

Or he could move back a few places and find a value pick(s). Depending on where Beane see's our needs and mostly how the draft unfolds.

I can't remember having this kind of flexibility in the draft in a long while. (ever?)

Go Bills!

'

Agree, plus as we have seen before w Beane he does make trades of guys that are gonna be cut, I wouldn’t at all be surprised if this happens again this year especially on the OL.

Some of mine:

1) Remaining gaps.

To the bolds...

I'm less surprised than most with the Bills not bringing in a CB. I think they are very happy with the development of Taron Johnson and Dane Jackson, and will look to add via another mid/late-round pick.

The high number of OL is Beane's MO. He couldnt do this last year with COVID mucking everything up, but his usual trick is to sign a lot of "decent" OL and then trade away the extras for mid-round picks as we get through camp.

Some of mine:

1) Remaining gaps.

Well you cant have everything you want sop you pick your battles. The areas that are open to upgrade:

QB: Set at 1 and 2 for next year. 

RB: Could upgrade, but serviceable group given passing offense. A better pass catching RB would be nice but these guys can at least be outlets.

TE: Clear upgrade needed. 

OL: Set. Solid group

DE: Clear upgrade needed both short term and long term. 

DT: Some questions here. Star is in his last days, Oliver needs to step up. 

LB: Rolling with these guys. Edmunds $ coming up; Milano got paid. Inconsistent group.

DB: Need CB2 upgrade; Depth at S.